HD action camera released October 5, 2014.

The date and time on my GoPro Hero 4 Black resets every battery change

The date and time on my GoPro Hero 4 Black resets on every battery change. I'm guessing there is an internal battery that should keep the clock. Is there a way to fix this?

Hi @lukasl ,

You may be correct that there is a backup battery. (It looks as if there is a coin cell type battery but I cannot be sure of this, it might be a capacitor).

Here is an image of the Go Pro Hero 4 Black motherboard (taken from the ifixit parts shop). I've highlighted where I think that the "battery" is.

(click on image to enlarge for better viewing).

Here is a link to the ifixit GoPro Hero4 Black Expansion Port/Motherboard Replacement guide which should help you to gain access to the battery.

The battery can also be seen in the very first image in the guide (click on the magnifying symbol in the image) It is under the expansion port board so it is not visible in the other images in the guide.

Hopefully this is of some help

Thank you very much for you thorough answers. This has been bugging me for at least a year. Hope I can rectify this issue myself. I'll update here once I'm done with this project.

Lukas will be eternally grateful.