Apple's line of MacBook Pro laptops was intended for the professional and power users. The MacBook Pro line includes the MacBook Pro 13" Unibody, MacBook Pro 15", MacBook Pro 15" Unibody, MacBook Pro 17", and the MacBook Pro 17" Unibody.

Apple "stainGate" screen problems - looking for quick, viable solution

All,

I am looking for a quick, viable solution to the Apple "StainGate" issue, one that does not take hours. We are looking for an in-house solution that can remove the coating "assembly line" style while the screen is left in place.

I have read through various iFixit forums, but am looking for a faster, easy to repeat process.

Issue: When using certain cleaners, the anti-glare coating becomes permanently "blotched". Apple is aware of this issue (see first link below) and has extended the warranty on the laptops with this issue, however this is not a solution for us (many of the units fall out of this extended warranty).

The other solutions we have seen are people removing the blotched antiglare coating with metal polish, however, when we tried this solution it took repeated applications and was an extremely slow process (see our tech note below). We even tried it with a hand held buffer as well as various solvents.

This was from our tech:

------------------------------------------------------------

The process take a lot of time. Quite tiring

I tried it on my Macbook (2014 Retina 13") Though it does work (I used rubbing alcohol and Peek like the video) some parts came of really slow.. took dozens and dozens of applications, after an hour or so maybe 15% was done. Next day I continued, but this time I pre-wiped the screen with Bison Magic Wipes (for paint removal) after another hour doing Wipes->Peek rubbing->Ethanol cleaning the whole screen was smooth as a baby butt :-) The magic wipes really loosened the coating. Also while doing it the screen looks terrible.. just be patient and after a few hours it will look great!

And that’s just for one unit…

see:

https://www.macrumors.com/2017/11/17/app...

One person said what worked best for them was Peek Metal Polish (actually also polishes acrylic, etc) followed by rubbing alcohol for removing the anti-glare coasting. Also PolyWatch for the fine screen scratches. But again, these processes were too time intensive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJwBJKLk...

and

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBM3v35q...

Any input would be welcomed.

Most Helpful Answer

I'm fighting with a macbook air screen, same problem, a endless number of attempts with different day use chemicals and some solvents, but no real solution here either. Some parts of the screen are easily removed even with isopropyl alcohol, others seem to be hard as granite, awful coating. I've had some success with harder parts with some hardwood ashes plus alcohol, leaving screen in a pretty good shape, but it's a time consuming, I must have already wasted a couple of hours on it probably.

Couldn't find anything really useful around the net unfortunately.

My MacBook screen has been getting progressively worse - total staingate! I have used mild “screen” wipes available in our office - no help. After watching a YouTube video of a guy removing the coating with Listerine, I opted to try an anti-bacterial all purpose wipe (this was a no-name brand) similar to Lysol. I had nothing to lose! It worked. Screen is 99% better than it was. I reckon one more treatment will do the trick. It took about 5 minutes to clean it.

Can you tell what the wipes are made of..paper, non woven ? I wonder if it's the anti-bacterial or the wipe helping in removing the coating. If you can post a picture it would be great.

Tried it. Didn't seem to make much difference when I tried it (I used actual Lysol wipes) though it did seem to lightly re-emulsify the screen coating.

Some people said that it could make the screen so reflective. Did that happen to yours as well? Or maybe if its too reflective, do u think an aftermarket anti-glare film could make it better? I'm suffering this total staingate, too :( but somehow I'm afraid it could be too reflective

I didn’t have any alcohol so I tried a hand-wipe (Purell brand), which I thought was alcohol based, but in fact is benzalchronium chloride 0.13% as active ingredient. It worked easily - about 4 wipes and 15 minutes. I followed with a bit of water and a microfiber cloth.

Bryan Lambert will be eternally grateful.