Repair guides and support for motherboards and CPUs.

Wont post, wont do anything, just one green LED.

Details:

old motherboard: ASUS P4T-E

old GPU: ATI Radeon 7500

old RAM: 2x Sim Tech C-RIMM 0150 Continuity RIMM module, 2x Samsung 800-45 256MB RAM

old CPU: Intel Pentium 4

its all dead except for 1 little green LED on the MB. no post codes, no display, no fans, no nothing.

I'm stumped.

@avanteguarde @danj @paperboypaddy any ideas?

power button does nothing. reset button does nothing either.

Pictures:

@oldturkey03 I'm wondering do you have any experience in PCs?

@captainsnowball that is a depend. Depends on what you got and what the issues are. I do not deal with any software issues and consider those not-repair related.

Any ideas then?

Yikes why do you have the power supply open?!

Yeah don't mess with PSUs.

Hi Aiden,

Have you tried unplugging the power cable and shorting the physical pins on the board for the power switch? You could potentially just have a bad switch, or one that isn't connected properly. Here's a link to the motherboard. Page 42 covers the front panel header, though I would review this manual in more depth. I'm seeing some DIP switches that I haven't seen in a computer in awhile, so make sure you have those dialed in for stock speeds settings before attempting to boot and make changes. Have you attempted a full dissassembly and reassembly with only the CPU, GPU and RAM installed?

- Jasen

Its only the motherboard itself. with the GPU RAM and CPU in.

What should I set it to?

Ok if it's just those components, did you try starting the machine by shorting the two front panel pins that are assigned for the power button?

Yes. I have the front panel connected I'll add a pic.

Go to page 18 in the manual, try alternating the jumper setting for JumperFree and JumperMode, and powering the machine on with either option set. And ok, great. A pic would greatly help!

If it has built in graphics, try those. Even unplug the the VGA power cable. (That's what they used to call a GPU in the old days.)

I hope you're fluent in google translate: https://www.asus.com/supportonly/P4T-E/H...

@captainsnowball you got a CPU heatsink? Many PC's won't even boot if you don't have a CPU fan and system fan.

Picture # 5.... It seems that the "power" thing is crooked. I am new to things like this, but I think that could be part of the problem. And there is a lot of dust. Maybe try cleaning it?

That's the power switch header. Looks like it's fine.

Hmm.....I don't know whats wrong, but I'll keep examining the pictures for you.

First: Close that PSU now. This is horribly dangerous, if you touch the wrong part and unload a capacitor you can kill yourself.

There is also a very good chance it wont post because there is no CPU cooler mounted. A CPU requires a specific amount of pressure to make contact with the socket.

Even if it would turn on, it would overheat within 20 seconds and shut down again. On older CPU's this can be fatal to the CPU.

So: Mount the Cooler, and make sure it fits properly (No wiggling). And make sure you use thermal paste.

Aiden Baker will be eternally grateful.