Announced in March 2015, and released April 10, 2015, the Galaxy S6 is the next flagship in the Galaxy line. The curved screen version is known as the Galaxy S6 Edge.

Phone glitching, Custom OS warning

My phone randomly turned off. I held the power button, the home button, both of them at the same time, I tried the volume up button with the power button, I basically tried every combination of buttons I could, and it was completely blank. I plugged it in and got a battery charging sign, which alternated with the Samsung logo. I tried volume up + home + power button, and it started alternating between the Samsung logo screen and an "installing systems update" screen. I held volume down + home + power, and got a warning screen about a "custom OS" and it said to press the volume down to cancel it or the volume up to continue with it, but whenever I press one of the two it either immediately goes away or does nothing. It is currently stuck flashing between the Samsung screen and the "installing systems update" screen, both of them flash for about one second and then go away for about two (like the logo will flash for a second, then go black for two, then show the systems update screen, then go black, and it continues). It's been like this for about 2 hours. How do I fix it??

Phone was dropped in toilet bowl a month ago there a little water in side phone a week later starts glitching non stop

MacBook Battery Fix Kits

Starting at $69.99

MacBook Battery Fix Kits

Starting at $69.99

Most Helpful Answer

Hold power + volume down + home until you get to the light blue screen, and select reboot phone. See if it gets stuck on the Samsung logo, firmware sounds corrupt in some sort of way if it auto boots to recovery again.

What is the model number of your phone?

It's either one of these things causing it:

- Bad Battery

- Corrupted Firmware

- Issue with the logic board (at this point paperweight phone pretty much).

Does the screen go off instantly when you unplug the charger? If yes then you probably have a faulty battery.

Make sure you try to charge the battery for about half an hour or two on the download mode screen if you haven't already to rule out the battery not holding charge.

You can go download mode by using home + volume down + power then select download mode.

It's been doing the same thing, flashing between the logo and "installing system updates" all night, it shows the "custom OS" screen when I hold down volume down, home and power, but then it immediately goes away. Home, power and volume up does nothing. It immediately shuts off when I unplug it, and all the flashing stops and it doesn't do anything. But as soon as I plug it in it starts flashing the two screens again.

Immediately shuts down on unplug, you have a bad battery then.

Thank you replaced the battery

kinda late but I have a similar problem but my phone has a blank black screen the whole time whether it's on or off with the exception when it was in the warning custom os screen. I can't get it in that mode again no matter what I press. should I let it charge overnight? or should I give up on it and get an upgrade.

I have a similar black screen situation as Lefit Skillz. I have a J320a and was pressing power/home/vol down simultaneously when i got a warning custom os screen at least twice. Now I can't get it in that mode again...only black screen. Should I wait a while and try the simultaneous button holding again, or charge overnight, or upgrade?

Hi @bozzlady509,

As you know water and electronics and electricity are not a good mix.

The impurities in the water causes corrosion and provides circuit paths for the electricity which were not in the phone's operating design and could damage the components.

First do not turn on your phone and then you need to with the phone turned off, remove the battery as soon as possible from the phone to minimize further damage.

Then you need to dis-assemble the rest of the phone and clean all the affected parts using Isopropyl Alcohol 90%+ (available from electronics parts stores), to remove all traces of corrosion and water. Do not use "rubbing alcohol" as in some cases this is only 70% IPA or less, can contain scents and is not as effective. If you do check the label to verify the amount of IPA

Here is a link that describes the process.

Electronics Water Damage

As always with electronics, especially surface mounted PCBs be gentle when handling and especially when brushing away the corrosion. You do not want to remove any components from the board.

Hopefully after you have done all this the phone might possibly work correctly again.

Here is a link to the ifixit guide(s) for repairing your phone.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Repair

If this process seems too daunting, take your phone to a reputable, professional phone repair service and ask for a quote for a repair. If you decide to do this, do it sooner than later.

Jessica will be eternally grateful.