a laptop by Lenovo that can function as a tablet.

My fan is buzzing.

Most likely, something is clogged, but before I open it up I'm asking for input. So the fan will buzz noisily at high speeds and if I put my ear up to it at normal speed I can hear the buzz. might not be dust because to my knowledge, dusty fans don't buzz. this started a week or two ago. Haven't opened it (yet)

either way, If I open it I'm making a guide.

I'm open to anyone, @paperboypaddy maybe one of you has ever had a buzzing fan? and @oldturkey03 any tips before I go about opening this soon?

Oh. No I haven’t had any problems with buzzing fans.

did you not get a notification?

I'm presuming neither of you got a notification. @oldturkey03

No I didn’t get a notification. How strange.

Free shipping on all orders over $100 or containing a Pro Tech Toolkit!

Browse Our Store

I've been busy lately, but I know how annoying it is when the solution is not stated and you have to keep looking.

It seems it's just a thing like the new car smell, after use for a month or two it seems to go away.

Most Helpful Answer

@captainsnowball download the maintenance manual from here Check your fans as well as the heat pipes and heatsink. The buzzing can come from the fans. You will never know forsure unless you check.

I Don't see anything about buzzing fans. TIME TO MAKE A GUIDE =D

You are not seeing it because you have to take it apart and and take a look at the performance of the fans, heat-sink and pipes, check to ensure everything is clean and tight. After that start it and see if you can determine where the buzzing comes from

HI there did you ever manage to fix this problem as I have just started having the same problem

Hold on Tricia, I'm going to add an answer.

After owning Yoga 720 for about a year and half, my daughter's machine finally start making the crazy flapping noise. Most of the solution that I found online was basically tricking the machine not to activate the fan. With that said, I decided to open up the machine and found one of two black strip of tape going across mesh that appeared to be stretched. This strip of tape is directly over the fan (there are two fans) when the metal plate is covered. After some testing, I found that was the reason for the noise. So, I carefully pull the stretched tape and retape across the same location so that it is tightly over the mesh. I think this is some sort design defect where tape get stretched over period of time. Anyway, the solution is simple, but does require a T-5 Torq tool to open the back plate followed by re-tap to avoid flapping noise. Hopefully this helps.

I like this answer for a fan that was silent and after some extended time started buzzing or sounding like something interfering with the fan blades. In my case, I started to follow the instructions to disassemble the back case to inspect the fan when I realized that the three screws at the edge of the screen hinge side had come loose, perhaps due to going from laptop to pad mode so many times. I tightened these screws and the fan noise disappeared. I believe that the looseness of the case allowed the fan to vibrate thus creating my "buzzing" noise. Good luck, all.

It’s likely due to a lack of lubrication and this is typically what causes this problem. Get 3-in-1 oil and then take apart the laptop so you can correct the problem. Depending on how the fan is assembled, you will either need to do it through the label and use a small amount or remove the blades and then oil it from the inside.

Do not put oil around the magnet; just the point the fan sits in the motor.

Aiden Baker will be eternally grateful.