Small media streaming device that plugs directly into your TV's HDMI port. Originally released by Amazon in November 2014. The latest version comes with a voice-activated remote.

Why won’t my remote work?

My fire stick notified me that my batteries were going low so I changed them and now my remote won’t turn on at all...this is the second time this has happened to me. What do I do?

The answer to this question is based on where you got the Fire Stick from.

If you know what store it was bought from then you can go to that store to try to get some information on what to do to fix your Fire Stick.

My remote stopped working too. I figured out a way to connect my tv remote to navigate the fire stick instead of getting another remote. This will work as long as you have the CEC or HDMI control option on your tv. Go to settings, look for CEC or HDMI control and turn it on and it should work.

Omg thank you I've been buying remotes that won't work and seen this tried it and bam it works

I tried resetting firestick remote control and it still hasn't did anything yet

I put new batteries in everything in there

Hi

I own 5 fire sticks and once in a while this happens to me as well. I do not why but you must use fresh new batteries for the pairing to be successful .. not swapping it with good batteries from other remotes . Once you insert the new batteries it should connect on its own but if not then you must hold the home button for at least 10 seconds to pair it to your fire stick. Hope this helps.

Best answer award!

I've hold the home button and everything else and nothing helps please help me

This may sound silly but use either Duracell or Energized batteries. Cheap batteries do not last very long or do not work at all.

Thank you. It worked

how do you change battery in remote

Most Helpful Answer

I just figured this out literally a few minutes ago. I bought a another brand new fire stick just for the remote because my other one stopped working.  I tired new batteries, pressing down the home button for five seconds, all of that, but nothing worked.  I just discovered why I think my other one stopped working. Remove the batteries from the remote. You have to clean off the two metal prongs that touch the batteries. If that has corrosion or dirt on it, I’m guessing the remote can’t get power from the batteries. Simply wipe off the two metal prongs, put brand new batteries in and Viola! My remote works again! Hopefully this will work for yours!

This was extremely helpful. It worked just like you said. Thank you, you save me from having to buy a new fire stick.

I never sign up to these things but because of your comment i had to. This works. I tried the select play thing and nothing. I cleaned the springs using the t shirt i was wearing and pressed buttons. It took about 10 seconds to kick in but tgis weeks. Anyone having issues with the remote just take out the battery and clean the metal spring. Worked for me and tbh id have never have thought to try it

oh my goodness. Thank you so much for your post. You saved me god knows how long on chat with Amazon customer service. I was in tears literally because they were asking me to do things with my dead remote that were not possible. Your trick worked famously. Thank you from the bottom of my heart. You’re a lifesaver!!!!

When I first read the post I thought it was nuts !! , I tried it I was shocked it worked, I was thinking how does dirt getting to a closed remote. After it worked I even put my old batteries back in and it still works, THANK YOU

It worked for me too! Thank you for the info!!!!

I have had this happen with one of my remotes. I just took the battery out and changed the battery again. Make sure you are putting in the battery correctly.

Fire TV Quick Tips

Hold down the Select button for 5 seconds to put the remote into pair mode.

Hold down the Select + Play buttons together for 5 seconds to Restart the device.

Restart the device: Settings > System > Restart, then once restarted unplug the power cable for 5 seconds then plug back in.

This incident has occurred to me. I always, disconnect the whole device (the fire stick) from the TV and the electrical outlet, while the whole fire stick is disconnected, isolated from any source of electricity. I remove the batteries from the remote control and press while without batteries the select button press for a few seconds fifteen seconds. reload the batteries and re-connect the whole device. It works for me.

This worked for me. Thank you

Tried all the other methods on the internet and from the instruction manual ... this process worked!

So rediculous this needs to be done, but it worked. I followed adalberto Acuna's comment, Oct 12, with one addition. The fire stick was so hot I put it in the refrigerator while I took the batteries out and pressed the select button for 30 seconds or more. Then replaced the batteries on the remote, got the fire stick from the fridge and reconnected it.

Wait for the fire stick to fully boot up and settle where it wants to be.

And then the stick began to respond to the remote.

Before that I could not unpair, reset, add new remote; there was simply no communication.

Thanks Adalberto.

This worked for me too. Thank you, Adalbert.

One of the simplest option to control your Fire TV is the official Remote app. You can take the benefits of remote app.But sometimes Fire TV remote not responding while operating with this. In this situation, you have the option to make sure about some things such as:

1. Un-pair or re-pair the remote

2. Power cycle the device and Fire TV Remote

3. Check the batteries

4. Update Software and it is necessary to update software time to time.

I have found the the battery voltage is very critical in the remote. I am still using my original remove that came with my Fire TV box release 1. If the batteries both drop below 1.4 volts my remote will stop working correctly or work intermittently & I have a commercial grade voltage meter. New AAA batteries usually read 1.6 volts or 3.2 together, so when they drop below 2.8 my remote acts up. Remember if you are out of batteries you can use the Fire TV phone app, but it is a little touchy. I now buy the new Duracell extended life batteries & check the package for end of shelflife date!

Fire TV phone app! Genius!!!!!!

I had to reset the fire stick, that was the only way it will recognice the remote…

I just had this happen. I just disconnected the fire stick from my tv for 10 seconds to reboot and the remote worked again..

My volume buttons and power button do not work on my new 4k firestick ...I've tried everything...Amazon are sending a new remote out ...I'm not convinced as I tried it in another tv and its fine ...Amazon have checked my tv and firestick and insist it's the remote !!! I'm at a loss

You may have to pair it again.

Amazon is a joke the remote is like a teenage girl on her period ( and I have one of those ) temperamental, unpredictable and completely unreliable! A billion dollar company that does a better job as a substitute for the postal service than their own product!,,,

Hahaha funny af....true too!

That's "funny" John? Comparing a remote to a menstruating girl? What a stupid and CRUDE analogy. I will now compare my malfunctioning remote to you!!!!

So I call amazon they tell me ya we can with your remote for a charge. So I'm thinking a few dollars he said 100 bucks. I said wtf! I can get 10 off Amazon for 9.99 told he to shove it and also its your freaking product...dumb @%^!*

So me and my mom And all the fire stick apps remotes and we put all the new batteries what do I did

Fire Stick Remote Battery Problems

The most common reasons that Fire Stick remotes stop working all have to do with the batteries. The main issue is that Fire Stick remotes use Bluetooth instead of infrared, and the Bluetooth connection can become erratic when the batteries get low.

Fire Stick and Fire TV remotes are fairly power hungry in comparison to other remotes. If you use your Fire TV device a lot, you can expect to go through batteries at a faster rate than you might expect. So even if you replaced your batteries recently, it's still worth checking them. I followed the guidelines mentioned on https://howtotechh.com/amazon-fire-stick... .

Here's how to rule out the batteries as a problem when your Fire Stick remote stops working:

1. Remove the batteries from your Fire Stick remote.
  2. A photograph of the batteries in a Fire Stick remote.
  3. Pay attention to how the batteries were installed, and make sure they weren't backwards. If they were backwards, reinstall them and try the remote again.
  4. A photograph of the battery compartment of a Fire Stick remote showing how to install the batteries.
  5. Look inside the battery compartment, and you will see a diagram that shows which direction to install the batteries.
  6. Install new batteries.
  7. A photograph of new batteries in a Fire Stick remote.
  8. Since your Fire Stick remote uses Bluetooth instead of infrared, batteries that work fine in your TV remote may not work when swapped into your Fire Stick remote. Use brand new batteries if possible.
  9. If the remote still doesn't work, try different batteries.
  10. A screenshot of rechargeable and alkaline batteries with a Fire TV remote.
  11. Rechargeable batteries only provide 1.2V, compared to 1.5V from alkaline batteries. If you have trouble with rechargeables, try fresh alkaline batteries.
  12. If the remote still doesn't work, the batteries probably aren't your problem.

I had same problem, tried changing batteries, reset holding down buttons-NOTHING THEN I hit the microphone which triggered the blue power light and boom-it worked!

THANK YOU...i tried EVERYTHING they all were previously talking about & NONE of their solutions worked for me EXCEPT YOUR ADVICE! Thank you, THANK YOU, THANK YOU.

MS. Gina,

I’m still having problems with my Firestick remote. Ever since the power went out.

take the batteries out and put them back in unless they are dead

I put the cover back on incorrectly when I changed the batteries. When I took it off and got it back on the right way, it worked. Just something else to try…

I can't get to setting on my tv firestick Won't go anywhere. Even with new batters and tried a number of different attempts

I just used the Fire TV app it worked fine until I could replace the batteries. Good Luck!!

hey i have found some lines about remote not working fire stick here: https://www.livesupportaid.com/fix-amazo...

Leave the remote very, very close to the Firestick for a minute or so. It will pair up and ask you to press a button on the remote. This worked with batteries that were less than fresh after a full device reset.

our remote completely stopped working, new batteries didn't work....had to power down tv, everything for 30 seconds to minute. after reset remote working fine now.

This has just happened to a friend of mine, he was told to press and hold the home button for about a minute…….this should reset the connection

The batteries dont matter clean the prongs then hold the home button

Slamming it twice did the trick. Thanks!

Unplug it from the tv and the outlet then plug back in and hit the home button 4 times and it will turn back on worked for me

@diamond also went to CDC and now I can control the fire stick with my television remote. TY for the

To all people in this thread; this just happened to me and I know how to fix it. As with many of you, this happened when my batteries became low. When I put in new batteries, it still wasn't fixed. Apparently this is because fire stick remotes work off bluetooth instead of infrared. Anyway, you need to completely reset the firestick and remote.

Here is what you do:

Hold down the Select button for 5 seconds to put the remote into pair mode. Then Hold down the Select + Play buttons together for 5 seconds to Restart the device. Just keep holding those two buttons down and it will say across the TV Screen, "shutting down or shutting off." Then it will come back on and say "Fire TV" like when you first got it and installed it, and then once it comes back on, everything works as it did!

There must be something about the low batteries that messes with the blue tooth control. Please try this fix, it works!!

Download the Fire TV app to use the app as your remote. Use the app to browse to settings and pair the old physical remote. It can get unpaired for some reason and this is the only way I’ve found to get it re-paired.

Can’t believe at my age life truly got real

Unplug and replug the Firestick. I bought batteries thinking that would solve the problem.

The @diamond comment is the one I’m most interested in because it removes the reliability on the trash remote for fire stick. However I don’t have a cec option under source but I do have a hdmi option under source. But when I click on the hdmi option it says the source is not connected, check the connection again. And doesn’t do anything. I plugged the fire stick into the hdmi in back of tv and tried going back into source and clicking hdmi again but only was left with blank black screen. I’m not super tech savvy but if anyone has insight into this method and can help I would greatly appreciate it! Also does this method remove the ability to speak into microphone on fire remote, I would think so unless you can interchange using one remote and then the other which would help save the battery in these junk remotes I guess.

@beee Only certain TVs have that option. What tv brand do you have? & if you don’t have the cec option then you have to use the fire stick remote. But there’s an app for the fire stick remote you can put on your phone too if that helps.

Thanks so kindly for your response. Ok well I guess I don’t have that capability then. It’s a Samsung tv. Yes I heard about using the phone as a remote. Meh. I’ll stick with the crappy remote for fire stick I guess.

1. Press and hold home button while same time press menu button 3 times
  2. then release home button
  3. Press the menu button 9 times
  4. Remove batteries from remote and unplug fire stick and wait 60 secs
  5. put batteries back in remote and turn on fire stick after Home Screen comes up press and hold home button 40 secs
  6. wait 60 secs for remote update to complete

This works if you follow precisely

My site explains very well how to reset the firestick remote. Visite this site and reset your firestick remote simply.

There is a small reset button that resets it back to where you start over my Roku froze up and yes that is how I did it.

If you need further help, reach me visite this site at.

https://gadgetsbiz.com/how-to-reset-fire...

Ronesha Parker will be eternally grateful.

All Time: 1,028,090