The Nintendo DSi is the third iteration in the Nintendo DS line, and made its debut in Japan in late 2008.

How do I fix unresponsive shoulder buttons?

Very simply, the L and R buttons on my DSi don't work anymore. I tried going to Nintendo about the problem, but they said it'd cost at least $50 to repair...and my system is long past its warranty. Will I have to take apart my DS to fix it?

Most Helpful Answer

I know this is an old thread but listen if you are having problems. Here's is how i solved it myself with no help from nintendo and super easy method.

My bumpers have not worked for over 5 years. both L & R. when I press R, it sounds like it has a broken spring while L sounds normal but also won't work.

Today, I tried to get them working(With Success) by first, mashing them really hard and fast and pushing down on them. After , I tried blowing in the side really hard just with my mouth. No taking apart. Then I kept mashing them again and on the home screen to test to see if camera comes on when pressing L or R. All of a sudden, after blowing, it started to work every time. R still sounds and feels odd but works. I just have to press them harder than normal though but they work fine now!! I was soo happy after they started working. it has been years. I was unable to play soo many old games as they required the bumpers but now I can paly them again jsut as soon as I get a new R4 card as I also updated the firmware after nearly a decade and now my current one is outdated.

Thanks much bran04don13, been having this problem for a few years but mashing the buttons PLUS simultaneously blowing for a good 2 minutes on on both sides removed the problem!

Remember to blow as HARD as you can on that tiny concentrated space (doubt that spitting will work xD)

WOW this worked! i couldn't believe it! thanks alot! now i can finally soft reset and play games which really uses the L and R bumpers alot!

Holy molly ! I tried it and it actually worked ! I am baffled ! Thanks mate you're the best ! !

%#*@...I was super skeptical, after trying it a couple times, I was pleasantly surprised to see that it worked. Thank you very much. Now, I won't have to try to return it or get a different system.

IT WORKED THANK YOU SO MUCH, mine hasn't worked in over 6 ears thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You could try to blow on the indentations along the right and left side of your DSi system with force. Do so again on the top. This issue is likely caused by dust or other debris that may have gotten into the release trap and pressure-sensitive button. Or you could use a can of the duster for electronic equipment that is available in most department stores. Some more info here http://www.ehow.com/how_4737318_nintendo... and even some video on here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5K3W9sbwX... good luck and let us know how it is turning out.

that is a bad way because i did that and my ds's sound went out

my dsi r and l bottons haven't wont for 2 yaesr i tryed to watch some videos on the internet and i didn;t help at all so i just fould this website becasue my friend told me and this website will work for my dsi r and l bottons.

Nonono. Do not blow on the buttons.

At first my L button went out and I would blow on it and it would be fine.

But recently my R broke and right after I did that, my DSi would turn off.

Then when I would turn it back on, it would shut off again, or the top screen would flash out.

Please don't

i had the same problem about a year ago on my other dsi,so i'd rather not to do it myself

I did that on my 3ds xl as well and it broke playing mario party

i would HIGHLY Suggest (yes i hate bring old threads) is you HAVE TO take it apart.

but just to get the back...cause i just almost killed my DSI using the suggested answer (got my L&R buttons "Working")

use just compressed Air to get the dust out! when you do this you can also bend the buttons up some soo they can have better contact. and also get a hard deep into it if you have to press hard

reason is i wanted to play some DS games not on my 3DS as i tried to fix it now....reason cause i'm restarting my Pokemon saves on the DS and i needed a trade thing...since i have a Pro Tech Tool Kit i can just open it up...

if you dont...try the Most Helpful Answer...but BECAREFUL OF L OR R!!! that is the side of the ribbon for the top screen....that jangles...no top screen or sound!

i have the same problem did the air thing and did'nt work i found out that the button wears out that depresses the switch doesnt press down the switch properly had to put a extended piece of plastic to depress the switch down to make it work why didnt nintendo make the switches like psp i have never had a problem with psp and i have 2 nintendos that the left & right buttons dont work except the one i fixed working on the other one good luck

Worked for me =)

punch thebuttons hardand it will work

_ nintendo mechanic

if you take it apart be extremly careful, i lost my "r" button due to riped wire, but in side your ds/dsi is this little tab that plugs into your system and this may be unpluged because of drops or loose, but take a narrow metal nail file and clip it back in it solves the problem, but becareful like i said, i completely lost r

The best simple way?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npIdz48Kl...

Like that video because that guy found out an amazing solution!

omg tht little kid is genius tht work instantly

thats stupid

== Update ==

thats screwed mine up big time

you need techgear replacement bottons

do you know wer u can buy shoulder buttons from

Hi guys i have been having a problem with my shoulder buttons,and i need some help,can someone help me,is there like cleaning them or something

Take apart and dip them actually button thing in rubbing alcohol

My buttons worked but the R button was mushy. The dsi is absolutely prone to ribbon problems I swear.. anyways, the button is clicky after blowing into it like it used to be (yay) but it did giggle the top screen ribbon slightly and caused the top screen to go all white washed with scan lines. Moral of the story, I hope you know how to take these apart if you blow into the R trigger too hard.

Ari Rockefeller will be eternally grateful.