Model A1312 / Mid 2010 / 3.2 GHz Core i3 or 2.8 & 3.6 GHz Core i5 or 2.93 GHz Core i7, ID iMac11,3

LED Display Not Working on iMac Mid 2010

My iMac has a display problem. Works perfectly well with an external monitor plugged in so I've ruled out the graphics card. It started off just going blank after a couple of hours use. Then it wouldn't come on at all. Just a quick flash when it was booting and nothing after that. I've tried looking at it with a torch to see if it's just the backlight but not able to see anything.

When the LED ribbon cable is connected to the logic board the external monitor works as an extended desktop. When I unplug the cable the external monitor works as the main display.

Thinking it's either the LED that needs replaced or the backlight inverter board but no idea really. Suppose it could even be the logic board itself! Any suggestions on how to narrow the problem down to one thing or the other would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Most Helpful Answer

I would start by running the onboard diagnostics to see if something pops. Sadly diagnostics is somewhat limited here.

I would try again to check the display by placing the flashlight directly on the display and then tilting the flashlight at a sharp angle (in a dark place) I would do this where you know you have a few desktop objects as the image will be faint. If you don't see them at all then your LVDS ribbon cable has a problem or the display its self. Here's the IFIXIT guide: iMac Intel 27" EMC 2390 Display Replacement . Review Step6 making sure you have the cable in correctly.

If you do see the desktop I think you'll need to do some voltage checking on the LED Driver Board to see if it's putting out the needed voltages to the display for the backlight. Here's the IFIXIT guide: iMac Intel 27" EMC 2390 LED Driver Board Replacement. You may need to replace the sync or displays power cable

iMac Intel 27" EMC 2390 Display Image

Guide

iMac Intel 27" EMC 2390 Display Replacement

Difficulty:

Moderate

30 minutes - 1 hour

iMac Intel 27" EMC 2390 LED Driver Board Image

Guide

iMac Intel 27" EMC 2390 LED Driver Board Replacement

Difficulty:

Moderate

Thanks for your response Dan. How do I run onboard diagnostics?

scottclark will be eternally grateful.