Model A1288 / 8, 16, or 32 GB capacity

no sound without headphones

when i have my headphones plugged in on my ipod touch 2nd generation i have sound and a volume bar but when i unplug them i get no sound or a volume bar and in my settings it says the speaker is active but still doesn't work and this is the first time this has happened since i have had it, so how can i fix this problem????

Most Helpful Answer

It may be stuck in headphone mode. Plug the headset in and out rapidly several times and see if that will free it and make the speakers work again. You may also want to check all your setting as as well as cleaning your jack as Lint may be trapped in the connection. Try blowing into it or try canned air.

Thank you very much, this helped me!

My Ipod did this and I took a toothpick to clean out the dock connector on the Ipod itself. took a few tries but got it working again, that thing gets dirty!!

My IPod 5 is doing the same thing i tried all the methods and nothing works im probably going to have to take it in to get it checked out or ask my brother because he is great with this stuff

I actually did something and it worked.I just kept in my earphones for a long period of time in my IPod and the sound went back to normal, maybe it was just dusty

Thank you!! Finally something worked!

These suggestions have not helped, and you don't want to hard reset your phone. This is what i think worked for me.

1. Plug in headset when iPhone is locked.

2. Hold down the power button so that the "slide to power off" bar appears.

3. Remove the headphones.

4. Push the "Cancel" button at the bottom of the screen.

5. Go to the phonepad and see if pressing the buttons now produces sound.

(It's possible that I've forgotten something that I did, so the next time my phone locks, I'll try the same method again and update this post. Unless someone else is having the problem and wants to verify.)

I recently have this problem too with my iphone 4 which cause by water damage via home button.. many people say it is the headphone jack problem..

but after sending it at the shop for repair, it is actually my dock connector error and got it replace...

the no sound happens because my iphone recognize it as using dock speaker, so it mutes all the sound except ringtones.

so probably you want to have a look at your dock connector.

Plug in and unplug the dock connector. simples! :-)

Thank you for the "Plug in and unplug the dock connector" advice. It worked.

I finally got it loose from being locked on earphone sound. Toothpick didn't work and blowing in the port didn't work. I finally got a pin and stuck it in far enough that with a couple of jiggles it came lose. All is fine now!!! Thanks for all the hints that lead to success.

That's a bummer, I have the same problem that Chris has with my IPad: only sound with headphones , there's no sound at all otherwise. I am trying all the tips you are posting here (plugging, unplugging, tooth pick, connecting and disconnecting with the headphone set in locked position, but still did not work hope to get my iPad back to normal.

My iPod 5 is doing the same thing I have tried to plug in head phones and take out but it's still not working could someone please help

My iPhone 4 no sound audio and video help !!!!

I have the same thing to how can I Listen to music without the headset help.

chris will be eternally grateful.