2.3L 4cyl or 3.0L V6, 6th Generation

engine get over heat in traffic any suggestion

Maybe someone can help. I have a 98 honda accord lx 4 cyl. the problem i am having is the cooling fans will not kick on, i have replaced two temperature sensors, and fans will not kick on, If i turn on the a/c the fans will work. Once i turn it off they won't work. I change the antifreeze. i have check all fuses and relays. Can someone please help me.

When the AC is used, it overrides the temperature switches and turns the fans on to assure there is sufficient flow through both the radiator and the AC condenser. A bad fan switch does not prevent the AC from running the fans. So my guess from here would be to replace the fan switch or relay. Since you already replaced the sensors you know they are good, and since your fan comes on with the AC you know that it is good as well, leaves only a few components. also of course check for any loose or broken wiring form the sensors, etc. Great problem but surely frustrating for you and I do wish you good luck with it.

Hi there,

Have you removed and tested or swapped out the coolant thermostat? If this fails shut it can block off the radiator from the hot water. Not very expensive to do if it is accessible.

That's the first place I would check, and It's usually the culprit and most inexpensive fix. +

Okay but why would a stuck closed thermostat prohibit the fans from coming on? It would cause the fluid to not circulate through the radiator, thus causing the fluid to increase in temperature which in turn would be noticed by the sensors that should now close the circuit and cause the relay to turn the fans on, correct? Just wondering where I am going wrong with that, thanks.

yes I remove and swap the switch also i jump the fan from the relay and it work i check the wire and it look ok.

wfsimon, have you checked the relay? If your switch/sensors are new and your fan definitely comes on I would be making sure that the fan relay is working.

To reply to oldturkey03

By all means correct me if I have got it wrong. I understand the pump keeps the increasingly hot water circulating round the engine block and head, and also heater matrix, until it reaches a specified temperature. Then the thermostat is supposed to open to allow the hot coolant to pass through the radiator, cooling as it goes, before passing round the loop once more. depending on whether the thermostat is fitted before or after the radiator, a faulty shut stat can block the hot coolant from entering the radiator at all. So it is not sensed by the thermoswitches in the radiator before the water in the block boils over.

Let me know if that works for you.

wfsimon will be eternally grateful.