Third generation of iPad with Wi-Fi, released on March 16, 2012. Model Number A1416. Repair requires heating and careful prying.

Will an iPad 3rd generation work with newer iOS software?

Hello, my wife recently purchased an iPad 3rd generation for my daughter for Christmas, but she didn't realize the generation was so outdated. Will the iPad 3rd generation be able to update to a newer (doesn't have to be iOS 11) iOS software? We're fine with an iOS 9 platform, but we want to make sure the iPad will still be able to keep up with that platform and still work efficiently and be compatible with apps. I've heard both sides of this- some say the update will bog down the iPad 3 until you can't use it, while others say they have old iPads on the new iOS update that work fine. We can't decide if we can use this iPad 3rd gen or if we will have to return it and get the new iPad 5th gen. Can someone please offer advice or experience regarding this? Help is appreciated.

Thank you.

You will not be able to update past iOS 9.x for the 3rd gen iPad.

https://everyi.com/by-capability/maximum...

The apps you will be able to download will diminish within the next year or so as software developers switch to the new versions of XCode which will exclude support for iOS 9.

Furthermore, Apple has confessed to slowing down older devices and hiding that fact.

http://money.cnn.com/2017/12/21/technolo...

I believe your iPad has to be 5th generation and above , and also iPad Air in order to take advantage of the new iOS11 updates. You may be able to go up to iOS 10.

Okay, so you think it's possible I may be able go up to iOS 10 on the 3rd generation though? The advice is appreciated!

Did a little more checking and 3rd generation will go up to ios 9.* no higher.

Maybe someone else has had more experience with it though

Ok, thanks for the help.

Also iPad mini gen 2-4 will get your the updates for iOS11, but NOT the ipad mini gen 1

Can you tell me how to get an update (past 9; 10 is acceptable) for an iPad mini generation 3? I’m not tech savvy, so any help is appreciated!

Todd will be eternally grateful.