Repair guides and support for LED, LCD, HD and other Vizio TVs.

Left side is dark and getting darker

I purchased my Vizio E60 series tv 2 years ago. A week ago, the left side began to get dark. Now it is so dark, I can't open the menu and see the information well. Is there anything I can do to fix it? Vizio's response was buy a new one. Really? I just bought this one.

Same happened to my moms Tv and is just 3 years old... my sharp is 5 years old and still strong guess never get a Vizio ever again

Same problem and I bought mine 6 months ago

Same TV same problem here… hope I find out about class action lawsuits.

has there been any search for which models or which parts failed this may be a manufactures defective parts.

Model # XVT 3d554SV

I have a 70 in smartcast and the left side is just dark enough to notice it and drives me nutz!

MacBook Battery Fix Kits

Starting at $69.99

MacBook Battery Fix Kits

Starting at $69.99

Hi. It looks like the backlight on your LED TV has failed. LED TVs feature long thin circuit boards with surface-mount LEDs packaged every few inches. Direct backlit TVs have quite a few strips with the LEDS spaced out over the area of the LCD panel. Edge lit LED Tvs have the majority of the LEDs on the sides of the LCD panel. It looks like your TV is direct LED backlight.

While LEDs can be more efficient and durable than other forms of lighting, it is up to the manufacturer to produce and implement a well designed power system where LEDs are driven within their specification, and create an environment where the LEDs can properly dissipate heat. Unfortunately, it seems that many TV manufacturers are intentionally creating poorly designed LED backlights and overdrive the LED dies to the point of thermal failure. It is not uncommon to have 4 or 5 LEDs randomly die on a 12 LED strip backlight because the TV manufacturer decided to integrate a power supply that provides too much current to the LEDs. I would not be surprised if a class action lawsuit is near for a few manufacturers.

In terms of the repair, there are a few things you can do:

• Take apart tv and observe power supply board (Be very careful, charged capacitors can be lethal)
    • Look for any bulged capacitors or back spots. If you observe any of these conditions, your power supply may have failed instead of the LEDs
  • Take entire tv & LCD assembly apart and replace led strips or LEDs on the LED strips.

Here are 2 related videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JA1JCxn1...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSCf1xxL...

The reason why Vizio told you to buy a new TV is because the LEDs which have failed are the hardest part to get to inside the TV. It requires you to disassemble the lcd display assembly, which is very fragile. In order to disassembly the display assembly, you need a lot of space and a lot of patience.

Also, even if you replace the LEDs or LED strips, it is extremely likely that your backlight will fail again within 2 years. A lot of the folks who repair LED TVs mention to go into the settings of your tv and manually turn the backlight of the LCD at least half way down. Lowering the backlight brightness will increase the lifespan of your backlight.

Good luck.

same problem on 70 inch year and half old.

I have the same problem the brightness doesn't seem to work my vizios screen is still too dim and it went dim randomly and wont go back to bright

Same happened on my 2 ýr. old Vizio, at least half is dark.....was told it was cost prohibitive to fix that it's very expensive

I'm having the same issues with my 65 inch vizio, will never buy another...

Having same problem with a 2 yrs old 55 in. Make sure to write your reviews on websites. And yes we need a class action lawsuit.

Its the backlight going i would swap it out for a new if you have the insurance on or if it hasnt been a year….

Same here! 65 inch Vizio started to go dark in upper left hand corner and now has traveled down the whole left side. Tv is little less than 2 years old! Vizio told me to purchase another one because it would cost too much to fix! I will never buy another Vizio.

Hi my Vizio 55” have little red spot on corner of my TV you can only see it when picture get dark really small spot had tv for I think 3 are 4 years

Hi Troy i have a 73 inch Mitsubishi television couple of years ago start showing white spots I called me she busy and it needed a chip they sent the chip to a TV repair of my choice for free I had to pay 200 for the repair the television now looks like it did when I first bought it brand new beautiful picture

Ok - since i had nothing to lose - my TV was getting darker every day - before i was going to throw it out and call it a day with a NEW Samsung i grabbed a microfiber towel with windex and cleaned the screen .. while i was doing this i noticed 4 screws - YES sounds odd i know - you could see the screws while cleaning the screen gently .. mhhhh so i went to the back and loosen those 4 screws a tiny bit - then i continued cleaning the screen - i turned on COLOR BARS on my Apple TV and needles to say while cleaning the screen the black “spots” went almost 99% away … i continued this until I was happy with the result - tuned on a white picture (from my Fire TV as a background) and now you can’t really notice the black spots any more … my wife thought i got a new TV - I also reset the TV to factory defaults - there was NO update but once i did that it was downloading something too. FOR NOW i do not need a new TV - I couldn’t lose anything before you throw it out - try it !!!! POST BACK !

My 73 inch Mitsubishi started getting lighter and lighter what could it be

Didn’t get it

sobeit4me will be eternally grateful.