Repair guides and support for LED, LCD, HD and other Vizio TVs.

Left side is dark and getting darker

I purchased my Vizio E60 series tv 2 years ago. A week ago, the left side began to get dark. Now it is so dark, I can't open the menu and see the information well. Is there anything I can do to fix it? Vizio's response was buy a new one. Really? I just bought this one.

Same happened to my moms Tv and is just 3 years old... my sharp is 5 years old and still strong guess never get a Vizio ever again

Same problem and I bought mine 6 months ago

Same TV same problem here… hope I find out about class action lawsuits.

has there been any search for which models or which parts failed this may be a manufactures defective parts.

Model # XVT 3d554SV

I have a 70 in smartcast and the left side is just dark enough to notice it and drives me nutz!

Hi. It looks like the backlight on your LED TV has failed. LED TVs feature long thin circuit boards with surface-mount LEDs packaged every few inches. Direct backlit TVs have quite a few strips with the LEDS spaced out over the area of the LCD panel. Edge lit LED Tvs have the majority of the LEDs on the sides of the LCD panel. It looks like your TV is direct LED backlight.

While LEDs can be more efficient and durable than other forms of lighting, it is up to the manufacturer to produce and implement a well designed power system where LEDs are driven within their specification, and create an environment where the LEDs can properly dissipate heat. Unfortunately, it seems that many TV manufacturers are intentionally creating poorly designed LED backlights and overdrive the LED dies to the point of thermal failure. It is not uncommon to have 4 or 5 LEDs randomly die on a 12 LED strip backlight because the TV manufacturer decided to integrate a power supply that provides too much current to the LEDs. I would not be surprised if a class action lawsuit is near for a few manufacturers.

In terms of the repair, there are a few things you can do:

• Take apart tv and observe power supply board (Be very careful, charged capacitors can be lethal)
    • Look for any bulged capacitors or back spots. If you observe any of these conditions, your power supply may have failed instead of the LEDs
  • Take entire tv & LCD assembly apart and replace led strips or LEDs on the LED strips.

Here are 2 related videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JA1JCxn1...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSCf1xxL...

The reason why Vizio told you to buy a new TV is because the LEDs which have failed are the hardest part to get to inside the TV. It requires you to disassemble the lcd display assembly, which is very fragile. In order to disassembly the display assembly, you need a lot of space and a lot of patience.

Also, even if you replace the LEDs or LED strips, it is extremely likely that your backlight will fail again within 2 years. A lot of the folks who repair LED TVs mention to go into the settings of your tv and manually turn the backlight of the LCD at least half way down. Lowering the backlight brightness will increase the lifespan of your backlight.

11/2020 Update:

There is a growing trend of using a large array of shorter PCBs to construct an LED TV backlight instead of just connecting a few long PCBs together.

This is largely a cost cutting measure due to shorter length PCBs having lower cost of overall production than longer boards. Instead of a TV vendor having to pay additional PCB manufacturing fees for a custom long-length (~24-36in) PCB order, the TV vendor will opt to produce smaller length (~16in) PCBs instead. While this cost cutting measure does make a lot of sense, a certain care has to be placed when relying on inexpensive board-to-board interconnects.

Unfortunately, these connectors are not always designed and implemented correctly. One example is if a TV manufacturer has backlight PCB strips produced at a new PCB production contractor and that PCB is 1.5mm thick instead of 1.6mm thick. Sure, this is only a 0.1mm difference, but that is enough for the spring loaded contacts in the board-to-board connector to not apply enough pressure on the PCB contacts and not conduct properly.

This Hackaday article goes into how these interconnects sometimes fail and can be easily repaired by just removing the connector and hard wiring the LED strips together with a soldering iron:

https://hackaday.com/2020/10/27/low-tech...

Good on you Tweepy [author] for finding out this excellent solution!

Good luck!

same problem on 70 inch year and half old.

I have the same problem the brightness doesn't seem to work my vizios screen is still too dim and it went dim randomly and wont go back to bright

Same happened on my 2 ýr. old Vizio, at least half is dark.....was told it was cost prohibitive to fix that it's very expensive

I'm having the same issues with my 65 inch vizio, will never buy another...

Having same problem with a 2 yrs old 55 in. Make sure to write your reviews on websites. And yes we need a class action lawsuit.

I just submitted an inquiry to an attorney about a class action suit against Vizio. Waiting to hear back…

Spoke with an attorney and he didn’t seem all that interested.

On a positive note, I found out replacing the LED backlights DOES NOT cost more than a new TV. It costs about $100, plus your time.

I'm also having the same issue.

I had posted about my year and a half old 50" 4K HDR Chromecast TV, how from the middle of the screen down had dimmed, and called VIZIO, which was a worthless call, well I decided, I'm never buying a VIZIO again, cause the whole screen quit working, so I bought a LG REAL 4K IPS, QUAD CORE PROCESSOR 4K web IS TV, and it blows the VIZIO away in every category, the quality of the picture is flat out what I wanted my 4K HDR TV to look like, it makes everything better, the characters and cars, whatever is on, it pops out at you, it had made my older games on PS3, look new, and the PS4 PRO games, look like so real and made them even better, old movies, since I grew up in the 80's , I like movies like LOCK UP with Sylvester Stallone, The Rambo movies, Cobra, Rocky, ECT. They're like remastered in HDR, the looks.and and much higher quality with the LG TV, and the power of the PS4 PRO, Get an LG, and see what we were missing paying all this money for and inferior TV like VIZIO,

Its the backlight going i would swap it out for a new if you have the insurance on or if it hasnt been a year….

Same here! 65 inch Vizio started to go dark in upper left hand corner and now has traveled down the whole left side. Tv is little less than 2 years old! Vizio told me to purchase another one because it would cost too much to fix! I will never buy another Vizio.

I purchased a 65 in VIZIO in November 2017 & 2 months ago a shadow started on the left side & the top part and slowly made its way the middle of the entire screen. I thought at $900 I would’ve gotten more than 1.5 yrs!

My 60” VIZIO has done this same thing slowly the left side of the TV screen would go dark. If I turned the TV on and of it would clear up. But this was only the slow beginning of the defected backlighting issue. Threw the months it would slowly get worse till the whole screen would go black. Still had the great sound just no picture any more!!!! I paid over a thousand dollars for this TV at Sam Club. Vizio will do nothing to help fix it because it costs is higher on the repair and cheaper to buy another TV, now who has money they can spend for another TV? Never again will I ever buy a Vizio brand again! I still have my flat Screen 36” EMERSON TV I bought at Walmart years ago on a Black Friday for 100.00 dollars still working like brand new ! Such a ripoff on an over priced brand Vizio TV! Don’t waste your money on these so call top of the line TVs!!!!

My 65inch Vizio 2years old same thing, bought about 2 yrs ago from Costco, just under 800.00 now I can't watch it.

Walmart TV's !#^& me off just to go near them. Bought a 75" LG from Best Buy. Awesome television!

I contacted Vizio. They suggested unplugging TV. Hold power button on TV for 3-5 sec. Plug in TV and repower it up. It seemed to solve my issue!!

Did you have the dark areas on your screen?

The right side of my screen went dark did this and it seemed to have worked I will be monitoring it to see if it recurs my model is Vizio M-Series M556-G4 tv isn’t 1 year yet.

Ok - since i had nothing to lose - my TV was getting darker every day - before i was going to throw it out and call it a day with a NEW Samsung i grabbed a microfiber towel with windex and cleaned the screen .. while i was doing this i noticed 4 screws - YES sounds odd i know - you could see the screws while cleaning the screen gently .. mhhhh so i went to the back and loosen those 4 screws a tiny bit - then i continued cleaning the screen - i turned on COLOR BARS on my Apple TV and needles to say while cleaning the screen the black “spots” went almost 99% away … i continued this until I was happy with the result - tuned on a white picture (from my Fire TV as a background) and now you can’t really notice the black spots any more … my wife thought i got a new TV - I also reset the TV to factory defaults - there was NO update but once i did that it was downloading something too. FOR NOW i do not need a new TV - I couldn’t lose anything before you throw it out - try it !!!! POST BACK !

What four screws are you referring to? Experiencing a similar issue

Yes please...what 4 screws? On the side or back, top or bottom?

He's talking about the 4 mounting screws in the back of the tv. It could have something to do with the back cover or the wires/circuit board/capacitors that connect to the led strips.

Has anyone went forward with a lawsuit? My TV isnt quite 3 years old. 70" and it's starting to get the dark spot. I was told they extended the warranty an extra year because of this problem. Well 2 years dont cut it. A TV should last longer then that. They should replace any TV that does this.

What cable carrier do you all have? I have Direct TV and I was told by the technician that installed my new TV that it’s a problem DTV ! I’ll let you know I’m calling them on Monday. The only difference is my black spot is on the right side .

Stop Buying Vizio if they can’t stand by there product for at least 5 years. What a waste of a Crappy ass company if they can’t make a somewhat decent product. My Cheaper TCL led tv has outlasted my Vizio and half the price…#fuckvizio

Been there, did not work, told me to buy another new tv after 14 months, Never a Vizio Again..

sobeit4me will be eternally grateful.