iPhone 6s battery not connecting properly

I was attempting to replace the battery on my iPhone 6s yesterday. I got the old battery out but when I went to put the new one in I was having difficulty securing the flag looking object (attached to the battery), to the motherboard. It only seems to want to click on the side farthest from the battery. I've tried manipulating it so that it would fit properly but I'm not having any luck. Any suggestions on how I can get it to sit properly?

@hogbert post some good images of the male and female battery connector with your question. that way we can see what you see. Use this guide Adding images to an existing question for that

I would but I don't have a camera handy

You haven't stuck the battery on yet right?

You need to bend the ribbon cable properly to get it to sit in well before you stick the battery in place.

Note that the metal plate that goes over the battery connector helps it stay in too.

Here's a picture of a new battery connector unused:

I haven't stuck the battery on yet and have bent the ribbon cable. I realize the metal plate secures it but it sticks up if I go to put it on, due to the connector not sitting properly. I've tried watching YouTube videos but the people doing the repairs seem to have little or no problem which is why I'm confused as to why it's not working for me.

It may be that the connector end on the battery itself is damaged.

It should plug in with little to no issue.

I have posted an image of the 6s battery connector

maybe the battery was stuck down to close to the logic and hasnt enough flex

Hard to say what the real issue is. I wouldn't rule out damage but kind of hard to believe considering it's something so "simple" to attach. At this point I think I may go buy a new phone. This has become a real hassle and I don't know if it's even worth going on much longer. The phone was water damaged hence the bad battery among other things. Is there any way to recover data on this phone in it's current state? I believe majority of my pictures are on apps anyway but figured I would ask.

I'm starting to think the battery connector on the battery is no good, you could contact iFixit for a replacement.

They usually send out free replacements if the part you received is faulty.

Hogbert will be eternally grateful.