Repair guides and support for top and front loading Whirlpool brand washers.

Whirlpool Duet, model WFW9151YW00, won't go through spin cycle

Whirlpool Duet front load washer, model WFW9151YW00, won't go through spin cycle but does agitate. It will drain most of the water no problem but then after the drum turns back and forth a few times, it pretty much just stops moving but the pump sounds like it's still trying to pump water out for a long time. But the little bit of water left seems like it's being pumped back and forth in the line. I can see the drain line that goes to the wall drain moving around like the machine is trying to get the water out but it appears the water is just going back and forth in the line. This goes on for several minutes until finally the machine just stops. It's a pretty loud pumping noise like a cycling back and forth sound. The pump has been replaced, the two control boards (front panel board and control board next to it) have been replaced but hasn't changed. Tried to run diagnostic test and was able to get it into diagnostic mode with the 123, 123, 123 pressing of 3 buttons but couldn't seem to get any error codes. I couldn't really figure out how to test things once in diagnostic mode. It did spin a bit, but pretty weakly in diagnostic mode at one point. It also did a real weak spin when I ran a test wash. Left the towel I threw in totally wet.

Any ideas? There is another circuit board attached to the motor and it looked ok visually. I checked the wires coming out of the motor (3 wires) and got continuity between each one and nothing to ground so it appears the windings are not shorted. The machine seems to fill, agitate and drain the bulk of the water without any problem.

Thanks for any insights on this!

Also, there are no error codes that appear. It just times out while pumping away.

New Battery = Faster iPhone
Fix Kits starting at $16.99

Yeah, this was a frustrating machine to work on: I replaced the CCU, the pump, the pressure switch...nothing changed. Still no spin. Then I changed the MCU with motor, still no spin but a bit more movement back and forth. Finally changed the shocks and got high speed spin! Nowhere in the tech sheet does it say anything about shocks stopping the spin cycle!! There are no error codes! The machine wasn't banging or anything but the drum did look a bit sloppy when I tried washing a towel and I kept thinking it seemed like an out of balance issue. But nowhere could I find anything about how the machine senses an out of balance condition until I came across a post in which someone mentioned the motor senses voltage changes based on the motion of the drum. Again, nothing about this in the tech sheet. And on top of that, the tech sheep appears to give misinformation on testing the pressure switch. But that's another topic.

So in conclusion...look at the machine carefully and if it looks like the drum is wobbling around quite a bit when it's trying to go into spin, try replacing the shocks. I went ahead and replaced the springs too but probably didn't need to as they still seemed fine but one shock did have visible grease on the shaft so I think the shocks go out sooner. If that doesn't do it, it might be a combination of the MCU/motor and the shocks but probably just the shocks. Good luck and hope this helped.

I have exact same issue. I have replaced pump and water sensor switch. I thought I fixed and left the top off for about 2 months. (Very tired of taking apart) Put the cover on today and the very first load it wouldn’t high speed spin again. Very frustrating.

Most Helpful Answer

Cause 1

Lid Switch Assembly

The lid switch assembly prevents the washer from spinning when the lid is open. If the lid switch assembly fails, the washer will not spin. To determine if the lid switch assembly is defective, use a multimeter to test the lid switch for continuity. If the lid switch does not have continuity, replace it.

Thanks for the reply but this is a front load washer. It will go into a slow spin in diagnostic mode with nothing in the washer so that tells me the door switch is functioning. Am I my incorrect?

Cleaned out the drains, new pump, throws codes. This machine is heavy for me to pull in and out all the time. Could it be the board. Please help me, I'm too old and no money to continue replacing everything. Please someone.

Chris will be eternally grateful.