Repair guides and support for top and front loading Whirlpool brand washers.

Whirlpool Duet, model WFW9151YW00, won't go through spin cycle

Whirlpool Duet front load washer, model WFW9151YW00, won't go through spin cycle but does agitate. It will drain most of the water no problem but then after the drum turns back and forth a few times, it pretty much just stops moving but the pump sounds like it's still trying to pump water out for a long time. But the little bit of water left seems like it's being pumped back and forth in the line. I can see the drain line that goes to the wall drain moving around like the machine is trying to get the water out but it appears the water is just going back and forth in the line. This goes on for several minutes until finally the machine just stops. It's a pretty loud pumping noise like a cycling back and forth sound. The pump has been replaced, the two control boards (front panel board and control board next to it) have been replaced but hasn't changed. Tried to run diagnostic test and was able to get it into diagnostic mode with the 123, 123, 123 pressing of 3 buttons but couldn't seem to get any error codes. I couldn't really figure out how to test things once in diagnostic mode. It did spin a bit, but pretty weakly in diagnostic mode at one point. It also did a real weak spin when I ran a test wash. Left the towel I threw in totally wet.

Any ideas? There is another circuit board attached to the motor and it looked ok visually. I checked the wires coming out of the motor (3 wires) and got continuity between each one and nothing to ground so it appears the windings are not shorted. The machine seems to fill, agitate and drain the bulk of the water without any problem.

Thanks for any insights on this!

Also, there are no error codes that appear. It just times out while pumping away.

Solution was to replace shocks. Turns out it was an out of balance issue. But weird that there are no sensors for this, no error codes. After replacing all control boards and pressure switch it turned out to be just bad shock(s). Just came across this on another whirlpool compact unit. But this one wobbled quite a bit when trying to spin but never got into high spin. Machine will keep trying for a while then shut down. Bad shocks. Easy fix.

I have the same issue with Wet Clothing At The End Of The Wash Cycle.

1. The washer work OK when I put it through the Diagnostic Test. Tub fills with water, In the Wash cycle: The tub turns clockwise and counter clockwise, Tub drains out completely, the tub spin cycle went from low to high spin without any issues. I also checked for “Error Codes” on the CCU and found no issues.

2. I removed the door switch and tested it out completely. No Issues.

3. I replaced all the shocks on the tub and tested the machine again, it still registered an out of balance condition and left the clothes in the washer soaking wet

4. I checked the MCU for loos connections, bad capacitors, burned resisters, and diodes. Found no visible problems with the board or motor.

After all this I still have a washer that is not out of balance, but somehow registers an out of balance condition. I would like to know what sensor registers an out of balance condition, so I could adjust or replace this sensor instead just replacing parts.

Hello I am having a similar issue but mine doesn’t spin at all and don’t drain? Any ideas maybe the pump?

Mac RAM Kits
Speed up your Mac. Max out its memory.
Mac RAM Kits
Get more memory out of your Mac.

Yeah, this was a frustrating machine to work on: I replaced the CCU, the pump, the pressure switch...nothing changed. Still no spin. Then I changed the MCU with motor, still no spin but a bit more movement back and forth. Finally changed the shocks and got high speed spin! Nowhere in the tech sheet does it say anything about shocks stopping the spin cycle!! There are no error codes! The machine wasn't banging or anything but the drum did look a bit sloppy when I tried washing a towel and I kept thinking it seemed like an out of balance issue. But nowhere could I find anything about how the machine senses an out of balance condition until I came across a post in which someone mentioned the motor senses voltage changes based on the motion of the drum. Again, nothing about this in the tech sheet. And on top of that, the tech sheep appears to give misinformation on testing the pressure switch. But that's another topic.

So in conclusion...look at the machine carefully and if it looks like the drum is wobbling around quite a bit when it's trying to go into spin, try replacing the shocks. I went ahead and replaced the springs too but probably didn't need to as they still seemed fine but one shock did have visible grease on the shaft so I think the shocks go out sooner. If that doesn't do it, it might be a combination of the MCU/motor and the shocks but probably just the shocks. Good luck and hope this helped.

I have exact same issue. I have replaced pump and water sensor switch. I thought I fixed and left the top off for about 2 months. (Very tired of taking apart) Put the cover on today and the very first load it wouldn’t high speed spin again. Very frustrating.

Most Helpful Answer

Cause 1

Lid Switch Assembly

The lid switch assembly prevents the washer from spinning when the lid is open. If the lid switch assembly fails, the washer will not spin. To determine if the lid switch assembly is defective, use a multimeter to test the lid switch for continuity. If the lid switch does not have continuity, replace it.

Thanks for the reply but this is a front load washer. It will go into a slow spin in diagnostic mode with nothing in the washer so that tells me the door switch is functioning. Am I my incorrect?

Cleaned out the drains, new pump, throws codes. This machine is heavy for me to pull in and out all the time. Could it be the board. Please help me, I'm too old and no money to continue replacing everything. Please someone.

Basically the same issue, no high speed spin. What gets me is this is such a common issue on all the forums it seems to me as a former Black Belt Six Sigma Quality VP there is a bad design/defective product here which Whirlpool continues to make money on (my WPW7500VW 2 was designed and released in 2008) by selling all kinds of expensive parts. They wanted $281 for the Motor Control Assembly. I got it locally from an Appliance Parts store which gave me a $60 refund when I turned in the core unit, and then took off 10% since I was a vet. And that's given the starting part fee was only $201. This has all the signs of a class action suit to me.

But, to return to the issue now that I've vented. I ran the diagnostics per the booklet, and it ran through all steps and everything worked as advertised with no error codes, so not sure how good the diagnostics program is for troubleshooting.

One tech recommended opening the front, disconnecting the lower pump filter and check to make sure nothing blocking it. It's the little black cap on the bottom front on my unit. It does have water in it so make sure you have a flat tray to catch the water. Mine was clean and clear. And, by the way , they talk about removing the front by taking out the three screws on the bottom behind the kick plate. They don't mention that you also have to remove the upper front control console to unscrew two screws in the top of the front cover. OBTW, to get to the front cover screws you have to remove the top of the machine by unscrewing three screws in the top back of the top cover and sliding it backward. Then you can access the two screws in the console along with the three behind the dispenser drawer which you have to take out.

Back to the things to check. One tech mentioned if the hose from the pressure check device is clogged it won't allow the machine to spin. It's on the right hand side of the tub about half way down. Took hose off, blew it out (noting blocking it) and also lightly blew into pressure check valve and could hear the switch inside activating properly.

Have no oil leaks inside nor underneath.

One individual said it was the shocks gone bad. Guess that will be next thing I check. Since it's a stack unit I have to take dryer down off the top. It's in an RV. Had to take doors off since dryer won't slide out with doors on closet it's in. Neither unit would fit down the hall without removing sliding doors, so not in position to just buy new washer/dryer of different brand.

There are about three different forums I've seen, so get on them an read them all. However, you are going to find there are nearly as many different recommendations as there are techs answering the questions about why Whirlpools machines won't go into high spin mode. Good Luck. If I come up with a solution, I'll get back and post. But as a work around, you can wash a load, then go into the quick diagnostics, and advance straight to the last phase which is #4. It will do a high speed spin for most issues. At least you won't be taking out soping wet clothes. VR.

Chris will be eternally grateful.