Teddy Ruxpin is a children's toy talking bear. The bear would move his mouth and eyes while 'reading' stories which were played on an audio tape cassette deck built into his back.

My Teddy Ruxpin does not play cassettes properly, please Help!

My Teddy Ruxpin plays the tape and moves its mouth and eyes just fine. However, when Teddy is telling the story he will not produce any sound (or very low in and out static sound) every few seconds. When I tap the volume dial or lean it against something, or just fidget with it , the sound comes back and Teddy is speaking much better. I cannot get him to tell the story audibly for more than a few seconds at a time and without my messing with the dial.

The other issue is sometimes the tape will stop and the cassette deck will open slightly and then I have to close it again.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Or, if he needs repairs I am happy to hear your referrals of places I can bring him to possibly repair these issues.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Regards,

Nicole

c/o Jack J.

Jack / Nicole any luck?

Most Helpful Answer

Jack Johnson this "When I tap the volume dial,lean it against something, or just fidget with it , the sound comes back" sounds like a bad potentiometer. It may be gummed up, same with your cassette drive. Time to tear it apart and clean it all with some 90%+ isopropyl alcohol. Check the pinch roller, playback spring and drivebelt on your cassette player. Use this video and an excellent refurb of Teddy Ruxpin. It's a series of 4 and goes over all the details start here for that. If unsure post some pictures of what you get with your question. Use this guide Adding images to an existing question for that. It will allow us to see what you see.

ive had a teddy like this before. one of the wires for his volume wheel aka power wheel is off and it needs resoldering again.

I found a teddy ruxpin but their is no tape player in him. How does he work?

Jack Johnson will be eternally grateful.