A1708/EMC 3164 — Released June 2017, this entry-level MacBook Pro retains its traditional function keys (as opposed to the OLED Touch Bar).

Black shadows from the bottom of the screen

I bought my MacBook Pro 2017 in September and after a month or so of use I got my display like in the photo. I called the support and even after all of the possible "software" actions they can't solve my problem, so it appear to be hardware related.

Anyone has something like that? How they solved your problem?

You need to get your system repaired under warranty! You have a backlight driver failure or the backlight within the display is bad. Did you speak with Apple directly? I find it hard to believe they lead you astray here as this is so new a system.

If you damaged your system some how I would strongly recommend you buy the AppleCare + option. While it won't help you if you got your system wet these newer systems are harder to service as there is just fewer replaceable parts which are expensive if you have to get this service out of warranty or service contract.

They told me I have to take the Mac to an assistance service it is under warranty and I did nothing to damage the system. This problem doesn’t occur every time I restart the computer, sometimes it takes a week to appear again so I will have to give the computer until they see it with their own eyes the screen like in the picture. The guy told me it can take even e month or more! So I’m trying to find more experienced support. It is so frustrating, I work with my mac and to have no concrete support after one month is incredible.

Do you know I can I stress the system to make it appear?

The best thing you can do is take a movie (or pics) using your cellphone place them on on your system on the desktop so they can easily be found. Make sure all of your stuff is copied off (backed up) and remove anything thats too personal.

I hope you have not only your purchase paperwork but all of your visits documented to whomever you spoke to. The more paperwork the better here! Make sure you have copies to give to Apple

Once you have the evidence go to an Apple Store (make a support appointment) and ask to speak with the service manager so you can show them the issue. They should give you a replacement system. As this is a manufacturing defect.

As how to force the system into this state I suspect it maybe heat that will push it. I would first install a good monitoring app like TG Pro you'll need to full version here at you want to enable logging. What you want to do is keep a clock nearby so you can take note of the exact time the event happens then review the log file to see what sensor is running hot.

To push the system you could try blocking the air ducts just don't do it too long here. And, you'll want to run something that pushes the CPU & GPU hard.

Thanks a lot for the time you spent to write me back. I really appreciate. When I called Apple they told me that the system won’t be replaced, but fixed. It is not a problem, the only thing I need is a working computer.

I’ll write updates here in the coming days.

Thank you!

After so many days still I have not received a decent support by Apple. They keep on telling me that I have to wait, or to take the MacBook Pro to a service provider and when I do so they call me back to tell me that the engineers have not reached a final decision and that I have to take the computer back until they decide. This is more than frustrating, never imagined that apple care was like that. I posted a video of my problem: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6cRdY4q...

Hi. May I know if you have resolved your issue? I am currently experiencing the same problems with my Macbook Pro with Touch Bar late-2016 model. I am out of warranty by just three months.

In the end they changed the display. There is no way to spot a single component failure, they had to change it completely.

Gianluca Quartulli will be eternally grateful.