Repair guides for many brands of PC laptop (notebook) computer.

Wires broken inside hinge

How best to repair wiring that is broken where it goes through a laptop hinge?

All three of my laptop computers (Acer, Sony, hp) developed the same problem after some time.

At first the web camera quit working intermittently whenever I moved the hinge. But it slowly got worse until the camera quit working permanently. It seems that one or more wires are broken where they go through the hinge.

I know how to solder wiring, but I need a source for the very fine gauge, insulated and flexible wires.

Any Suggestions?

Usually problems develop long before the wires severe completely. I'm having THAT problem. Oddly it is my wifi antenna wire that is causing the problem. I just wondered if anyone found a way to tape, glue and/or brace wires in place to keep them from jiggling and eventual total wire death. I've tried silicon sealant to glue it in place. It worked for a while but now it is worse. Almost goes away completely just taking the bezel off.

I am not sure about soldering the wires and would probably opt for replacing the wires. Anytime you solder anything you create another possible error spot. The service manual for your Acer is available here Looks like your cable is also available in multiple places like this one Just my 2 cents and good luck to you.

Bernd will be eternally grateful.