Early 2011 model, A1278 / 2.3 GHz i5 or 2.7 GHz i7 processor.

Dead MacBook Pro with flashing battery indicator

So I have a MacBook Pro, unibody, early 2011.

The machine doesn't boot up, it just lights the battery indicator five times when pressing the battery indicator button. After some presses, only one light appears to blink (five times again) and then suddenly stops responding.

The battery indicator lights are only seen with the MagSafe connected. And the MagSafe light stays green forever. (went orange one time and then returned to green). Without MagSafe, it's 100% dead.

Tried to heat the board, no success. MagSafe charger is 85W, so no problems with lower chargers.

Any ideas on how to solve this issue?

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: the machine doesn't boot up even without the battery (MagSafe only).

PS #1 - Nov 3rd

So I just got a 60W charger (aftermarket) to test with this MacBook Pro.

The results are "better", on par to what I expected. The machine still doesn't boot, with or without the battery (MagSafe only). However, the 60W MagSafe appears to fix the "death" of the battery indicator lights (finally).

So it starts with a blinking LED for a few seconds, and then "upgrade" to the full LED blinking five times. I didn't receive the battery yet - maybe next week.

Q: MacBooks are able to power on ONLY with the MagSafe power?

Most Helpful Answer

Hey Lucas! That charger may actually be your problem. the 85W charger is meant for 15" or 17" macbooks, and they have the batteries to withstand that pressure. Some 13" batteries end up failing after a while due to the excess charging. In conjunction with your magsafe light staying green, it seems that your battery is no longer accepting a charge. :'(

Changing the battery is comically simple, with the only difficulty being some pesky Tri-wing screws. Otherwise you can find a replacement battery here.

Best of luck with your repair!

Tri-point Y0 Screwdriver Image

Product

Tri-point Y0 Screwdriver

$8.99

MacBook Pro 13" Unibody (Mid 2009 to Mid 2012) Replacement Battery Image

As a note, you may also want to get yourself a 60W charger to maximize your new battery's lifespan. :)

I forgot to note that the computer does not boot up in any kind of situation, with or without the battery. Without the battery, the lights flashes as said in the OP. Thanks.

Lucas Silva will be eternally grateful.