This PC is a Dell Inspiron 3000 Series laptop with an AMD processor and a non-touch display. It's model number is 3541.

Laptop keeps losing internet connection

I purchased a new laptop at the start of September. It's been working great, except in the last two weeks I keep losing my internet connection.

Within just the last two weeks, I've had some other family members come to live with me. They're able to access the internet with their devices, no problem. But my computer keeps losing its connection.

Even during the times I can't access the internet, my computer shows that it's connected to the network. The built-in network troubleshooter can't find anything wrong. If I restart the router, sometimes it helps. Sometimes it doesn't. Even if it helps, it's only a temporary fix.

I've tried using different browsers, disabling firewalls, restarting the computer, updating OS software, scanning for malware, etc. I'm at my wit's end.

Any ideas?

Hi @caitlin ,

How are you connected to the router, ethernet cable or WiFi?

If WiFi try connecting by ethernet to see if it works OK this way and proving whether it is a WiFi problem or something else (or vise versa if you are connected the other way) ;-)

I'm usually trying to connect via WiFi. I tried connecting via ethernet cable when my WiFi dropped again this morning, and I was able to connect. I can't understand why the WiFi isn't working, though.

Have you tried updating the WLAN drivers from the Dell support webpage? http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/0...

Just type in the Service Tag written on the label on the back of your laptop, choose drivers from the menu, then find it myself and download and install everything under Wireless.

hai

I am also facing that wifi connection problem with my laptop.

Hi @pravin007 ,

Did you read my answer directly below and try to implement any of the recommendations?

What is your laptop make and model number if it is not a Dell inspiron 3541?

Hi @caitlin

In Device Manager expand the Network Adapters entry and then look for any entry with Dell Wireless in its title.

Right click on the entry and select Properties then select Driver. Check to see if the driver is Version: 7.35.333.0 ,A04.

If it is you have the latest driver already installed.

If it is a lower version number, here is a link to the latest Win10 Wifi drivers for your laptop. Ensure that the OS category on the page specifies Win 10-64bit then scroll down to find Dell Wireless 1704/1708 WiFi driver Download and install the driver and see if it makes a difference.

If you still experience problems even with the latest driver installed then perhaps you could try downloading and installing a free WiFi scanner program.

It will give information regarding your WiFi network. By looking at the results in the program you can identify your network, check the WiFi signal strength being received by your laptop, you may have a loose WiFi aerial connection in the laptop for example (remember the dBm values shown by the program are -ve values, so the higher the number the lower the strength of the signal), how many other nearby WiFi networks are sharing the same channel etc,

If there are more networks sharing the same WiFi channel, switch the channel in your router to a quieter one, i.e. one with no appearances in the scanner program channel list or one with the least.

Let us know how you get on

Hi, @jayeff. I tried your suggestions about checking/updating the drivers and I also downloaded the Intel PROSet/Wireless software tool from the Dell website and ran it to repair the files. That temporarily worked, but this morning I can't connect via WiFi again. Not sure why fixing the files would have fixed the problem for only a few days!

I will try the WiFi scanner today. Thanks for you help, and please let me know if you have other suggestions.

Hi @caitlin ,

Have you tried "uninstalling" the WiFi adapter in Device manager then restarting the laptop and let Windows "find" it again and see if that works?

Other things to try:

1. suggest that you try an "sfc" command just to verify that your Win 10 system files are all OK.

2. Check if there was a Win 10 system update on your laptop since you bought it. If there was did the problem start occurring after that date? Go to Start > Settings > Update and Security > Windows Update > View your update history. You mentioned below that the problems started on 10/2/17 so perhaps the update your looking for might be around this date. You may have got the Window 10 creators update 1703 at about the same time How to check Win 10 version number

3. Have you installed any new programs about the time that the problem started happening? Right click on Taskbar and select Task Manager > StartUp and see what programs are loaded at startup. Are there any programs that are unfamiliar to you? Be aware that there may be some that are necessary etc so if you don't recognize them "Google" the name to find out about it.

It maybe because your modem is not functioning correctly maybe need to get a new one.

Change your wifi settings from whatever you ssid channel is to 11. It s in the router set up. In you browser go to 192.168.0.1 the password is normally :admin and pasword should be an alpga numeric code printed on the router/modem you recived from your ISP.

admin- is the usual username

It seems that my WiFi is already set to that channel!

Assuming that it is running on Windows 10 (recent purchase), make sure you are connected with Ethernet and that you can connect to the internet. Go to Control Panel- Device Manager and look for the wireless device. If it has a yellow triangle on it then it means that there is a problem with the driver or the hardware. Right click on the wireless device and select Uninstall and if it asks click the box to delete the driver. At the top of Device Manager is a tab called Actions, click on it and select Scan for Hardware Changes. This should force the OS to download the driver and install it. If this is not running on Windows 10 then this may not apply.

I'm sorry if this is a stupid question, but how do I know what the "wireless device" is? I don't see any yellow triangle and I don't want to uninstall the wrong thing.

Look under networking devices

Hi, @lightnwire. I tried this but unfortunately it didn't help...there was no yellow triangle, but I did as you suggested anyway. When I right-clicked on the wireless device, hit Properties, and hit Driver, I noticed that the driver date is 10/2/17, which is the day these problems started for me.

Do you have any other suggestions?

As Jayeff mentioned, it could be a hardware problem. If you can remove the bottom case then you can try reseating the wifi adapter. It is a small card about the size of an airmail stamp and should have at least 2 antenna wires connecting to the card. Try reseating the card without removing the antenna wires, the little connectors are tricky to connect back on the card. You can rotate the antenna wires about 15 degrees and that should be enough to clean the contacts. The contacts are micro coax connectors, if one is not connected then try to line it up and wiggle it as you push it down. Make sure that the color wire matches the correct connector, there is usually a white, black and blue dot by the connecters.

Caitlin will be eternally grateful.