iMac Intel 27". EMC 2309 (Late 2009, Core 2 Duo 3.06 or 3.33 GHz), EMC 2374 (Late 2009, Core i5 2.66 GHz or Core i7 2.8 GHz)

iMac late 2009 will only start in 'safe' mode, why is this?

Hi there,

I'm new to the Mac platform. I've been using one for 1-2 months and now I have a problem with my iMac 27" late 2009, Procesor 28 GHz Core i7.

For few days I made an Update for OS and after that it start /boot not in normal mode. I can use it only in Safe Mode with key "Shift" at start up.

What happened and how to fix it?

How much RAM is in your system and what is the OS you are trying to run Sierra or High Sierra?

I installed High Sierra on this identical machine last week but did a clean install with no issues. Did your installation complete or did it hang? How much free hard drive space do you have now?

I have 8GB RAM and 1TB disk space. First I installed Sierrea after that I try to install High Sierra but no success. And one more thing my screen show some blue lines or blue small squares.

I've been fighting this problem since March.. It started after the upgrade to Sierra. (Not clean install) Blog after Blog blames the 4850 graphics card.. I did find one interesting thing.. the Sierra upgrade does change the Graphics Driver to another model i think at2000. It Does hang around 55% in normal mode.. Apple "Genius" bar did a cursery diagnosis and found nothing wrong.(thy dont touch anything that old). A Mac authorized repair center couldnt figure it out.. for $75.00 . Im like most.. that my IMAC is like a pet ..and i dont like the thought of putting it down. but after banging my head against the wall..its time to give up the ghost.. I soon realize that it wont be long before the updated opperating systems wont be backward compatible.. I hate to use the title to a Frozen song... But..."Let It Go"

Most Helpful Answer

Sounds like you are having GPU issues, a known problem on this model. When you try to boot is it hanging at about 55% of the load bar progress?

Hook up an external monitor and see if you get the same type of artifacts on its screen.

I hooked a second monitor it show only blue screen and in Safe Mode it not work

Boot up holding down the option key and go to the repair partition and boot. Run Disk Utilities and see if you can get it straightened out.

i have made this but the Disk Utilities dont show any error

Try reinstalling the system. There is also the possibility that you have viruses preventing a full boot up if this was an upgrade rather than a clean install. If you have access to an external boot source give it a try.

I made a new Install from USB but it dont help. I delete all content from my HDD with disk utilities

I'm having the same problem! Something suddenly consuming the ram, after trying to install High Sierra and it stalling. Have just upgraded the Ram and installed HS in safe boot mode, but the computer still won't boot in normal mode. As Meyer said, it's hanging about 55% . Will try the repair mode...any other advice is welcome...

Tatar Jony will be eternally grateful.