1.7 GHz dual-core Intel Processor (Turbo Boost up to 2.6 GHz) with 3 MB shared L3 cache

MacBook Air 11" Mid 2012 loose screen

Hello internet people,

I have purchased a used MacBook Air 11" Mid-2012 and noticed that the screen hinge is loose. It sits tight and completely fine, but once you open it up to around 120ish degree angle it becomes completely loose. I've tried to tighten the hinge screws but it didn't seem to help.

I didn't manage to find anything in forums and I guess replacing the hinge wouldn't help because it seems intact and once I tightened the hinge screws it seemed to be even more tight up to 120-ish degree angle. Perhaps there's some sort of screen retainer that's broken off and could be replaced? :((

You'll want to review this IFIXIT guide to make sure you tightened the correct screws on the body: MacBook Air 11" Mid 2012 Display Assembly Replacement. It they are tight you'll need to take the display off.

Carefully slide the clutch cover off (black plastic part between the hinges (once you have the display fully removed) that will get you access the lid side hinges. I would recommend getting some clear nail polish to use as screw seal so they don't loosen up again. Here's a good vid on popping the clutch cover to get to the screws: How to Fix Macbook Air Loose Hinge

If you suspect the hinge clutches are worn (the screws on the lid where tight) you'll need to replace the complete lid assembly - Sorry ;-{

Albertas Ensteinas will be eternally grateful.