Repair and disassembly guides for GE Microwave ovens.

261 Questions View all

What if it's the 15 amp in the fuse box

What if it's the 15 amp in the fuse box not the fuse in the microwave. We do not have updated electrical and still have fuses. I have a dedicated outlet I use for the toaster and such but I know it will only take up to a certain amount of wattage. My husband passed away in March and I'm not sure if it's 1200 or 1600 Watts. Can anyone help me please? Thank you and May God Bless

Answered! View the answer I have this problem too

Is this a good question?

Score 1


@pudiel your 15A fuse (if you are in a country where household current is 120V) will let you use appliances up to 1800Watts. that is a combined load. So if you have multiple appliances on this and use more than that, your fuse will pop.


Add a comment

Free shipping on all orders over $100 or containing a Pro Tech Toolkit!

Browse Our Store

2 Answers

Chosen Solution

Hi @pudiel ,

Are you saying that the 15A fuse in the fuse box blows when you are using the microwave or that the microwave fails when in use?

Either way have you got an electric kitchen kettle at all?

Usually electric kettles require as much power as a microwave so if you plug a properly filled kettle into the same outlet as used by the microwave (assuming it is a standalone - or benchtop - type) and it functions normally without blowing the 15A fuse in the box then there is a problem with the microwave oven.

If so then it may be advisable to call a repairman and ask for a quote for a repair to the microwave, (as they can be dangerous to fix if you don't know what you are doing) but these days it most probably is cheaper to buy a new one. (if your microwave is a standalone type and not built into a unit with an oven that is)

Was this answer helpful?

Score 2


Thank you so much! I don't have an electric kettle to try. My microwave crapped out a few months ago and I saw one for half price BUT it was a combo microwave and convection oven. Even at half price it wasn't cheap enough to buy and not use the convection. It was 1600 watt and it sounded high to me. Thank you again. I'm so lost around here I feel like I'm on another planet without my husband but I just checked and the oven is sold out. It really means a great deal to know that there is help out there. May God Bless!


Add a comment

Here is a good place to start, Paula: Every microwave has its own internal fuse that will blow if there is a short on the microwave side. The best way to tell if the problem is the microwave or not, is to plug it into a different outlet that is on a different circuit. If the microwave powers on and heats - you definitely do not have a microwave problem.

Was this answer helpful?

Score 1
Add a comment

Add your answer

Paula will be eternally grateful.
View Statistics:

Past 24 Hours: 0

Past 7 Days: 0

Past 30 Days: 13

All Time: 349