k-cup rim opens up during brewing

I have trouble with my k-cup spitting grounds inside the machine where the k-cup sits during brewing.

I don't believe the problem is the puncture needles or the top gasket. I have cleaned and checked both of these, many times, and the needles seems to be puncturing normally. I think the problem is the k-cup ITSELF.

I have observed that, in about 2-3 out of every 5 cups, the top rim of the k-cup actually separates... so, the leakage is not coming from the needle hole area. The leakage is coming from the edge of the k-cup. It is as if there is too much pressure INSIDE the k-cup during brewing, which forces the top covering of the k-cup, causing it to separate from the plastic cup.

Who's K-Cups are you using?

I would recommend you speak with Keurig to let them know and to see if they have a fix.

I did, multiple times. They have no solution. I got rid of my THIRD Keurig with the same problem and will never buy another.

I was having the same frustrating problem and I believe I have found a solution. My machine was not clamping down on the kcup lid with enough force to maintain a good seal, probably a result of heat over time used. I simply put a thin rubber band under the edge of the lid of the kcup which increased sealing pressure on both the cup rim and the piercing needle seal. My machine works like new again and brews a great cup of coffee without the grounds in the cup or bursting out all over the counter. A thin o-ring that will fit snugly under the kcup lid might be a better choice, and you must remember to remove it before throwing the kcup into the trash.

It seems to me the water pumped into the k-cup has no place to go. My first thought is to look at the spike in your brewer at the bottom of the k-cup cradle and make sure it is straight, sharp and clear. Run a paper clip through it to be sure. That's the route for the brewed coffee travels to leave the k-cup and drain down into your mug.

Only happens with Dunkin k-cups for many users. Same issues discussed on Amazon. Dunkin decaf is the only one of 5 brands that it happens with me.

@ljpne to much air inside the k-cups can cause this but that would be a manufacturer defect which we cannot fix. Change your brand and where you buy the K-cups. See if it continues. If your K-Cups have a domed, rounded top use a small needle and puncture the top before using it in your Keurig

If it does, you do want to clean the puncture needles. your Keurig has two, one on top and one on the bottom, If anyone of these two is clogged you will get a K-cup explosion due to excessive pressure inside the cups. I would start by cleaning the puncture needles since that would be the easiest fix. How to open and clean Keurig Coffee Maker

Try some real Keurig K-Cups to see if the problem is unique with the brand you had bought. You may want to give then a call to complain if the real ones don't have problems.

I had the problem... and still do. I use the pods which specifically ARE Keurig branded. I examine every pod now before inserting it the machine, and have discovered that the tops of the "cups" are not milled uniformly (flat). Without exception, the ones that are not flat (have a slight elevated lip on the outer edge), cause the foil cover not to seal... and to blow out. This is a quality problem with the Pod manufacturer, and not the machine. This is my third Keurig machine…. only 2 months old, and will be my last if this is not resolved.

If you are using a reusable (plastic) k-cup that you fill yourself there are two good answers and one good cure. Either you are filling the k-cup over 90% full and the pressure pops the lid open - or the brewer tension on the top of the k-cup has weakened over time and the lid is allowed to open up. The solution is a $3 part on ebay that you add to your keurig brewer. It's easy - no tools - take less than a minute - it works - it's guaranteed - click this link:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/171568701670

Most Helpful Answer

I had two bad 48-count boxes of Green Mountain half-caff, not “clones” or counterfeits, codes were confirmed by Keurig and they replaced both boxes. From both boxes, 9 out of 10 pods were clogging. During same period, 19 out of 20 other pods (Starbucks Veranda and Sumatra, Barista Italian roast, Gevalia, Green Mtn Dark Magic decaf) brewed perfectly. Now from the replacement box from Keurig, the second half-caff pod seam split open. It’s too soon to know if the problem continues with this box but I’m afraid this indicates a manufacturing problem of wider scale. For what it’s worth, I pre-punctured every pod by pressing the pod down into the bottom needle. So… in my case it’s not a case of excess pressure in the sealed pod nor is it a case of counterfeit pods. I suspect: 1) the pods are overfilled, 2) the coffee is ground too fine, or 3) there’s a problem with filter built into the pods. I’ve shared pod info with Keurig so hopefully they find and resolve the issue. Meanwhile, no more Green Mtn Half-Caff pod purchases for me.

I’m having the same issue with my green mountain breakfast blend light roast I normally buy my coffee from Target but the last two boxes I’ve bought at Walmart and there’s a definite difference in the KCups with Target the cups have a bubble as if they have been blown up with Walmart they’re flat as if they were at high a altitude and brought back down then at the end of my brew the cup will open at the rim and it spits coffee grounds out....I never had this problem until I changed where I purchased my cups so I am going to buy cups from Target and see if there’s a difference at all.....I know my stuff not clogged either because after every cup brewed I brew 4-8 ounces of water after every cup, change my filter and descale as recommended but if also checked the K cup and the foil top literally separates from the pod itself so I guess I will see if buying them from Target makes a difference

I have concluded my problem was caused by the machine rather than the pods. I had two K500 models, both of which exhibited the problem. I went through all recommended procedures to ensure the needles were clear, all to no avail. A few months ago, I bought a K-Elite. Long story short, the K-Elite solved my problem. In the past 400 plus pods I've brewed, only one pod has leaked at the seam. I had kept my box of problematic Green Mountain half-caff pods and decided to try them in in my K-Elite. They brewed perfectly, not a single one leaked.

I'm not suggesting anyone go buy a new machine nor that none of the pods could be defective. I'm saying MY machines were defective. Why? I'll never know. I purchased the pods directly from Keurig. Bottom line: THE PODS WERE NOT DEFECTIVE, THE MACHINE WAS. If you wish to experiment with rubber bands and o-rings to increase the clamping force on the pod, go for it. Frankly, I don't have the patience nor inclination to do so.

Previous answer is bad advice.

If the foil lidding is separating it is because of inferior sealing. This could be caused by a few reasons.

My suspicion is that you have purchased clones rather than original Keurig brands. Thermal sealing done by packaging equipment other than Keurig Incorporated can be less reliable.

It could also be a polypropylene compatible issue from a Chinese manufacturer of knock off cups. (Water temperature from brew cycle causes seal to fail)

Either way, there is a high probability that this is a defective cup purchase. If it continues after you try different capsules, please continue thread and I can offer a final suggestion.

Darren

Darren Footz "Previous answer is bad advice" really? Why?

sorry for delay in response turkey,... our experience is that recommending to consumer to clean piercing elements (needles) could damage them, I should have responded with "better advice" as that was rude. ... we have considerable experience in this field

I have had the same problem with cops across the market, including Kurig brand. It tends to follow cup batches. Letting the extra air out seems to fix the problem. I listened to "the regular advice" on the net to no avail, ended up buying a new machine that I didn't need. Now when I get a bad batch of cups I just make sure to prepuncture them.

I just had this happen for the first time with a 48 count box of Green Mountain Breakfast blend decaf that I purchased from Walmart. I normally have delivered directly from Keurig monthly, but ran out before my scheduled delivery. Prior to getting monthly deliveries, I bought from Target, Caribou, MarketPlace, and others and have never had this problem. I noticed a couple of other people mentioned they got theirs from Walmart, and am curious if there may be an issue with their supplier. It definitely appears to be an issue with the seal. Do I return the remaining unused cups in this box to Walmart, or go directly to Keurig? Does anybody know?

I have used Green Mountain Breakfast blend decaf direct from Keurig for years with no problem ... until my most recent order. Still Green Mountain Breakfast blend decaf but the cups had a different shape to the bottom and every cup is causing a clog. Debating whether to ask for replacement coffee from Keurig and hope, or switch coffee type (wife loves Green Mountain Breakfast blend decaf) or as mentioned above switch suppliers and hope.

I have been having this happen with mcCaffe pods and Dunkin’ Donuts pods. I can’t believe this is the pods, never have had this problem till recently.

Unbelievable. My machine was working fine until I descaled it recently with vinegar. I use online order Dunkin Donuts kcups. What's going on here. Now every one of them explodes on the top during a brew cycle. Rubber seal above needle is in place. Tried prepuncturing. Cleaning needle. Closing lid slowly. And every other "fix". ?????

Just talked to my daughter-in-law who was visiting and she had no problem with her kcups in my machine. She tends to buy from amazon or whatever is cheapest so probably batches with older made seals. Seems to me then that the fresher batches are being made with seals that can't take the pressure. What a scam on the consumer.

I have been using genuine k-cups for years and have on occasion found the lid separating from the cup. Recently, it has been happening much more frequently. Usually the lid separates about half way through the brew cycle. The bottom and top needles are always clean. I too believe this to be the result of an inferior seal.

As recommended by others, I purchased some thin foam sheets ( about 1/8” thick) from the dollar store and cut out a donut shape (large hole in the middle) slightly larger than the top diameter of the k-cup. I place the donut shaped piece of foam over the top of the k-cup when closing the top. This seems to apply enough pressure in most cases to keep the top of the k-cup from opening. The idea being to apply a little more pressure to the top of the cup.

This makes it a little more bothersome to make a cup of coffee, but I get to keep using my Keurig.

I have the same issue…pods exploding seem to run in batches as I purchase pods for my use….I usually buy the Smart and Final brand but have had this issue with name branded pods also; I keep all piercing needles clean.I keep one of the needles you get to truss up roasted poultry attached to the brewer to clear the needles as needed; also when brewing I stay right by the brewer and listen,,,,you can hear when the pump starts bogging down due to a plugged needle and i shut the machine down before the pod pops; I then remove the pod and pod holder , turn the machine back on to finish the cycle. Its a lot of work for a cup of coffee. My machine is a Hamilton Beach Flex brew…when I was using a Kurig I never had a problem..this machine #2 as Hamilton Beach replaced #1. When every thing works correctly it does a good cup of coffee….but when a pod pops its a MESS.

This happens to me only with my favorite brew—McDonald’s McCafe. It happens about 20 % of the time. It never happens with Krispy Kream K-Cups. But I hate to switch; however, the one this morning burned my fingers when i took it out so no more McCafe for me, sadly.

I am having the same issue. An error message comes up on my screen saying too much water pressure if persists call kuerig…well I did that 3 times. Performed all the same steps had 1 perfect brew from the Tim hortons actual kcups and no more. Just grinds in the cup. So fraustrating, my machine isn't even that old. So annoying and disappointing when you're a coffee lover like I am

THE ANSWER: We had the same problem and still do when using Dunkin Donuts decaf K-cups, but no problems when using other brands. The problem is the filter material used inside the cup. I took an exploding cup and a non-exploding cup apart. filled each cup with water and the exploding cup drained at 70% rate of the non-exploding cup. Hence the filter can not keep up the rate of the water flow and backups rupturing the top cover and making a mess. To prove my theory I used a needle to puncture from the bottom through the filter before loading a K-cup and the cup did not rupture. A few grounds got through the needle hole in the filter but at least it was not so bad as before. At some point, someone started manufacturing a filter material that could not keep up with the flow of my cousinart brewer, and Dunkin Donuts Decaf is using that material. Other solution? Use a brewer with a slower drip rate....but that kinda sucks!

I have similar problem. It doesn't matter what type of pod I use now, it always over flows the pod. I think the water is coming out too fast and the pods don't have enough time to drain. It's been getting worse now it's pretty much garbage. I haven't seen a single post about the water coming out too fast but I'm sure mine is.

I really believe at this point there are 2 causes…the construction of the pods(material used) and the sharpness of the piercing bottom needle. Once I determined the issue I have not experienced a blow up (or as much as I used to) I found that certain pods like the costco Kirkland pods worked fine as long as I manually pressed them into the holder …..other pods like the ones sold at smart and final I use a sharp point and a guide a made out of a used pod to pre pierce the pod….otherwise the machine will tear the filter inside the pod causing the grounds to escape and plug the bottom needle which will cause the top to blow

The bottom of kcup was not piercing. Top pierced fine but water had no where to flow.. Problem resolved by pre piercing cup before inserting.add a little extra punch or slice for really flavor able coffee.

Laurie will be eternally grateful.