Lenovo B50-80: Affordable & Configurable 15.6" Notebook. Combining power and performance with rich multimedia features, the Lenovo B50-80 laptop can raise productivity levels - without breaking the bank. Easily configurable,

Why won't my laptop turn on?

I have spilt water on my laptop earlier. But it's wasn't a lot and the laptop worked for 1 hour after this happened normally. When I tried to access the laptop again later on in the day it won't turn on. I don't know if the laptop is broken or the charger got wet and that is broken instead.

Most Helpful Answer

The problem is that water conducts electricity. So the when you turned the computer on while it was still wet inside, the computer experienced a number of short circuits and crossed connections. And lastly computer not turn on.

Thus, when electronics get wet, the best thing to do is immediately cut the power, remove the batteries. Then, let the device dry completely before running power through the circuits.

I agree with your answer, this is what most users are able to do.

Remove power chords first.

Remove batteries next.

.

I suggest holding the computer vertically, and gently shake it downward.

You want to move the liquid inside the machine, off to the side (now facing the ground), using gravity to help you move the liquid.

Getting the liquid off of the circuit board before it dries gives you a better chance of it working.

Then put it in a sealed bag with Rice Crispies brand cereal or dry rice.

Read more about drying methods on the interwebz

https://www.wired.com/2014/02/thats-deal...

Liquid damage is why your laptop won't turn on. Just a little bit of water on the system board creates areas of corrosion that cause parts to fail. What you should do for a liquid spill is to disconnect the power adapter, remove the battery if possible and let it dry for at least 24 hours. If the computer is out of warranty (liquid spills tend not to be covered under warranty) and you are confident enough to remove the covers and use alcohol pads to clean up the spill. Alcohol will mix with the liquid and pull the moisture out as it dries.

The good news is that generally the hard drives will survive a liquid spill, although not always. You have a decent chance to recover your data.

Drying is one of the worst things you can do.

I have had a few of these lenovo boards in my shop. I have not been able to fix one to date. They all have been nightmares. Since you spilt water on your laptop, there is probably liquid still under a chip preventing it from powering on.

SHUT IT OFF NOW AND REMOVE THE LOGIC BOARD!!!!

Place the logic board in a basin of isopropyl alcohol and let it soak for a bit then scrub the board with a toothbrush. Put the board in an oven at it's lowest setting for 5 min or so. Let the board dry for another day or so. Hopefully it will work. If not, corrosion has already taken place and now you need a good ultrasonic cleaning and or motherboard repair, or in the case of a consumer grade lenovo laptop, a new motherboard.

You did not comprehend what I wrote, it is similar to what you suggested but with less alcohol. Inexperienced people can cause more damage taking the laptop apart, either through clumsiness or electrostatic shock, so I am leery about instructing them to disassemble their computer. I figure the worst thing to do is to repeatedly turn the laptop on to see if it works.

ESD is nonsense on these boards. The only danger ESD poses is when you have chips that have not been mounted to the board yet. I repair motherboards and have never used a ESD strap. Never damaged a board yet.

I have had success in cleaning system boards after a liquid spill, you admit in your answer that you have not been successful. Reexamine your techniques and be more tactful in comments. ESD is still a factor and the damage can be subtle.

@lightnwire "few of these lenovo boards" is a lot different than the general statement of "system boards". Reexamine what has been said up till now. From a microscopic standpoint minerals in the water cause a lot of damage to the board as well as being conductivity. Might work for another week or year with what you are saying, but the dirty water needs to be displaced off of the mobo for a proper/permanent solution as soon as possible! Alcohols do this very well and a toothbrush can help nock off dirt/corrosion that might be there. The reason you do this immediately is because if water gets under a BGA chip, you have the possibility to flush it out before it causes any damage. If else, on a humid day, you might find your computer won't boot again, or the micro currents caused by the dirt on the mobo will slowly eat away at the traces and conductive surfaces.

This is a weird argument. I agree that liquids cause corrosion, alcohol is good for cleaning and it also evaporates quickly. Getting the liquid spill cleaned up as quickly as possible is understood. What the problem is how much to tell people what to do, some are more technically adept than others. I think the first thing to be done is to remove power from the computer and not power the computer on until the liquid spill has been cleaned up (includes drying). What a general user can do is limited, a shop or tech can do more. At what point do we disagree?

Luke sims will be eternally grateful.