Second generation of the Fairphone, made by the social enterprise with the same name. Released in December 2015. Model number: FP2-XCVR

Prevent/Fix Touchscreen dead zones

A 5mm vertical row of my FP2 touchscreen doesn`t respond to touch Inputs.

Prevention:

-You should try to avoid tensional stress of the phone (eg. phone in pocket while cycling).

-Also heat could have caused this problem, which my phone was exposed to when the problem occured.

Fix?

I heard that the problem could be (temporarily) fixed using an electrostatic discharge from a lighter igniter.

Why should this work? Is it influencing the static potential of that area, since it is a capacitive touchscreen?

Has anyone damaged his phone due to the high Voltage and electric field?

Are there other solutions without replacing the whole screen?

Hi @tryingtorepair ,

Tongue in cheek answer.

There is a 2 year manufacturer's warranty on the phone.

If the warranty is still valid for your phone and there is no obvious physical damage to the screen, contact the manufacturer regarding a repair or replacement.

Everyone knows if the warranty remains, one should contact the manufacturer to repair! BUT the question is IF the phone (device) is out of warranty, what to do?!

I have the same problem. The top side of the screen does not respond to touching and it was not repaired with ignitor either!

Any comment in this case is appreciated.

Michael will be eternally grateful.