Released September 16, 2016. Models A1661, A1784, and A1785. Available in 32, 128, or 256 GB configurations in Rose gold, gold, silver, black, jet black, and (Product)Red.

iOS 11 & iOS 11.0.1 Freeze and Hangs!

Hey, So I have had allots of issues with the new iOS update.

The whole system freezes and I cant move a thing about 30 seconds.

This happens to the 6s Plus and 7 Plus models.

Anyone who has the same issue?

I have just downloaded IOS 11.0.1 and I can't get past the screen telling me to got to support.apple.com/iPhone/restore and a sign telling me to plug into iTunes I have tried to connect my phone to my computer but I won't get pasted that screen. Can someone please help me because I have no phone now?

I’ve been experiencing this issue too where the system freezes and cant exit an app by pressing the home button, pushing down the sleepwake/power button does nothing; and same thing when attempting to make calls.

I didn’t have this issue until I installed facebook on my phone. So i deleted it and havent had any issues —not uet anyway

my i phone 6splus is power up logo and black and power up logo and user mode and power off.won't turn on.i try hard reset.it work power up but it happen again.by the way i update 10.3.3 to 11 it start happen.

Tried the new 11.1 Beta the problem is still there. anyone tried it on 11.0.2?

My 6S Plus freezes every hour. Clear installation with 11.0.1 made things a bit better but with no significant changes. 11.0.2 update did not help either. On this %#*@ OS I have problems with all apps, including Safari and Podcasts

Most Helpful Answer

This has been a developing issue and there are all kinds of information out there. Unfortunately, a lot of the best info is on specialized discussion groups. So I have created a blog post that summarizes the most current and relevant information and I have been updating it almost daily.

The bottom line right now is that the problem is with aftermarket screens produced with Hancai or Tianma LCD's using the Aichungjia (a Flex/IC manufacturer) "copy" driver appear to be incompatible with iOS 11. This driver is said to be unable to handle the iOS configuration and therefore shutting down and causing the lack of Touch functionality.

The only real, practical solution right now is to either downgrade to iOS 10 while you still can or install an original/OEM grade replacement screen. I'm confident that the aftermarket screen manufacturers will correct this problem moving forward. In the meantime, contact your local repair shop (or vendor if you repaired it yourself) to see if they can offer you a replacement.

For those that are interested, you can click on my profile for a link to my blog.

EDIT 2017/10/11

Apple just released iOS version 11.0.3 and it claims to address the Touch Failure on aftermarket screens. For those of you that have been waiting for an official fix, it appears to be here. Make sure to comment below if this update solves your problem.

This is by far not only the best answer but as far as I can search the only answer to the hanging problem. I am downgrading as I write this. I get a feeling that apple will keep including patches that render third party screens unusable. It falls right in line with their "no third party hardware allowed" policy. starting with the home button and a more benign attempt with the lack of headphone jacks and certainly coming to the screens as we see now. Are there any 3rd party screens that will work in the mean time? This is no doubt hitting a great many people and as stated this is the only available proper answer. so many other sites aren't even covering this issue. I have little reason not to believe this was doneon purpose by apple.

Thanks @ingozi. Then why don't you upvote it so that it filters to the top of the heap? :>)

The aftermarket screens mostly work based on what I can see and research. Only a specific subset of screens are problematic. But when you consider the tens of millions of people who own iPhone the 6S/7 and a significant portion of those who have had their screens replaced, you can see how even a tiny subset can still be a large quantity.

That is not the case on my phone. Everything is OEM, nothing has been taken apart. I think its just iOS 11.

Hi Thawng. Yes that is entirely possible. Every major iOS update always brings its lot of surprises. What I refer to in my answer is a very widespread issue. It could have been what's causing your problems but it is also for the benefit of everyone else who reads through this Q&A. Hopefully you will find a solution.

One simple suggestion I've read elsewhere. If you have the facebook app installed, uninstall it and see if it resolves the hanging.

I am on iPhone 7 and facing same issue, my phone at times froze for 1 minute or so, home button clicks but does nothing same goes with power button.

Did you reboot it? I do not recommend that. My phone glitched, after rebooting, it boot looped. Apple Store couldn't fix it and sent it off due to a flag on the phone. I believe Apple is getting all devices suffering from iOS 11.

iOS 11.0.3 includes bug fixes for your iPhone or iPad.

This update:

Fixes an issue where audio and haptic feedback would not work on some iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus devices

Addresses an issue where touch input was unresponsive on some iPhone 6s displays because they were not services with genuine Apple parts

Updated iOS 11.0.3 my phone still freezes up that new update does not work!! It takes about 30 sec to a min for it to unfreeze! What other solution do y’all suggest?

I am having the exact same problem. Does anyone know if it is an iOS issue? I have iPhone 6s and on iOS 11.0.3. Problems started after updating to iOS 11.

Thawng, ios 11.1 beta 2 might fix your screen freezing. I had the same problem with iOS 11.0, 11.0.1, 11.0.2 and 11.0.3. but iOS 11.1 beta 2 fixed my screen from freezing. You have to join the Apple Development team to access beta releases. I read the beta release should be publically available around 10/23-25 if you don't want to run a beta release.

This is what I've done to resolve similar issues.

1) Download the iPhone full update (links are here .

2) launch iTunes and MAKE SURE YOU DO A FULL BACKUP WITH ITUNES.

- make sure no apps are running or updating when doing so

3) Put the iPhone in DFU mode, and when it asks to restore, do not download again on iTunes

4) Go to the screen where it has the recovery button

On Mac, Option+Click the recovery button, and select the firmware from step 1

On PC, SHIFT+Click the recovery button and chose the firmware from step 1

5) Allow the recovery to completely restore the iphone

DO NOT RESTORE from back up yet. Instead set up as new phone

Go through set up on the phone.

6) Now do a restore from the backup from step 2.

7) Go to Settings

- do General --> Reset --> Reset Network Settings, reboot

- do General --> Reset --> Reset All Settings

NOTE - you will then need to put back all your WiFi settings

At this point, you should have a clean issue working phone.

If not, report it to Apple.

UPDATE:

__________________________________

This update:

I have tried resetting my network settings but it didn't make any difference but after reading your post i did reset all settings and it worked. I have IPhone 6 Plus and now it's working fine.

Guys make sure you restore from ITunes and setup your phone as a new, put your backup on and then reset all settings.

Thank you again.

After speaking with Apple support I tried that, erased & set up as new phone, everything seemed ok, restored from backup & the phone was fine for about 24hrs, this really sucks, having to re-enter all my passwords & verifying bank details etc, I’ve read literally hundreds of posts from people having this issue, Apple needs to ge this sorted before I defect to Samsung

this didn’t help :/ my iPhone still freeze :(

I'm working on various phones with all the updates (SE,6,6s,7,etc) From what I know there are minimal to no issues with any of the phones that have been updated since. Have you don't any service to your unit prior to the new OS Release?

My best solution for this is to back up your phone and to restore and update it via Itunes.

I only had to do this with one phone, which may have resulted in poor downloading of the new update.

Hope this helps, but let me know if it works.

I am working on a solution to the same issue. i7 plus, ios11. Here’s what I’ve got tried.

Phone had a screen replacement prior.

1) Three different aftermarket LCDs and two OEM. Same issue.

2) Backup and restore(no data restore) to fresh iOS 11. Same issue

3)prox/cam flex replacement x2 + restore. Same issue.

4) downgrade to iOS 10 - so far no freezing but the unit is still at the startup as I’m waiting for the customer to sign into iCloud. I’ll update this afternoon.

I’ve got a 6plus brand new. And it freezes constantly. Only way to get going is to turn screen off and on then it works again

Im facing the same issue, sometimes my i7plus froze when using cam..

Just had my phone completely glitch out and is no longer working. When I tried to reboot the phone, it hung on the apple logo. I tried to restore to 11.0 and nothing. It still hangs. Drove 3 hours to the Apple Store and they had to send my phone off because it was flagged. So, now I am waiting on another phone.

I personally believe that there are some resource management issues with iOS 11, that start translating into hardware issues. I heard a tech today at the Apple Store tell a customer that software issues can only cause software problems, and can't be fixed with hardware replacements. That is not true. It is possible to overuse, or misuseI the hardware resources. For example, it is possible for a user to configure a computer to use a higher level of performance from its processor. This is well known as "Overclocking" the processor. However, that could cause it to fry if you do not have the cooling system in place for that type of performance. So I believe something with iOS 11 is causing a similar issue by misusing the hardware resources. I was having weird issues like my bottom speaker going out, but the earpiece speaker working. However, the glitch that killed my phone was while I was talking. It make very loud noises from the earpiece. Since then, it was lagging and then at reboot, it would not working any longer.

Not to get off topic but i have a ipad mini 4 and my maps current location freezes for long period of time, its really screwing up my ratings on my deliveries.

Michael, unless you have the cellular version of the mini 4, the GPS accuracy depends on iPad's wifi. If you do have the cellular version, check Settings --> Privacy --> Location and --> Location --> System settings to make sure Google Maps and apple Maps all have proper access to GPS.

I have the same problem. My iphone has been like a brick for the past couple of hors. Although I get notifications and incoming call alerts, I cannot read my messages neither can i answer any calls. Hard reset doesnt work; cannot switch it off either

Let the phone battery die, then when you recharge it and it turns on it'll fix itself.

I had this same issue yesterday. Was using the phone and it froze. Wouldn't let me swipe across on the home screen, touch any icons, or turn the phone off or restart it using the Side Button/Home button. Couldnt answer or see phone calls, messages etc, but only hear the alert tunes. I let the battery drain until fully dead, then when it turned off, i put it back on charge and let it turn back on. Now all fixed!

iOS 11.0.2 seems to have fixed the issue for me! It’s only been a couple of hours though so fingers crossed it doesn’t happen anymore.

My iPhone 6 64gb is experiencing the same problem. Screen freezes for 30 seconds or so then unfreezes and freezes again. iPhone is OEM and never been apart since new from the Apple store. Let the battery drain completely and let charge to 100% but this issue is still present with iOS 11, 11.01 and 11.0.2. I’m hoping 11.0.3 will resolve the freezing as it is extremely annoying. BTW - I do not use Facebook so that’s not the issue either.

I've been having this same issue with my screen constantly freezing. Issue persists with ios 11.0, 11.0.1, 11.0.2 and 11.0.3. To resolve it, I signed up for an Apple developer account and download ios 11.1 beta 2 and I'm happy to report no screen freezing!! You can do the same thru Apple or just wait for the new release to come out in a week or 2.

Have you tried settings --> General --> Reset --> Reset all settings?

This will NOT erase your data.

I deleted all the apps that are no longer compatible with ios11. There is a noticable improvement in performance and few to none freezes.

You can find a list of incompatible apps in your iphone by going to General - About - Applications. Only if you have incompatible apps, applications options is clickable.

So i guess the whole freezing issue is related to apps compatiblity with ios 11.

sir help me please i've problem in camera on IOS 11.X.X

i can't capture on back camera, cos "''flash need cooldown and same to My flash, can't active. help me sir \.

thanks

I have the same issue. iPhone 7plus won’t ‘wake up’ after tapping the off switch- I tap home and goes black raising it = same thing. Takes over 30seconds to wake up and it wakes up with background black with password then apple wallet shows up.

My touch screen stopped working the other day too. Had to restart my phone.

I am now updating to the latest version-we will see if it helps. Otherwise I will do what others said and back up and reload. Which we shouldn’t have to do.

I battled the 30-second black screen constantly after both first and second iOS 11 updates. Hoped the second one would fix it..but no. After updating iTunes, deleting dev apps not compatible with iOS 11, and rebooting dozens of times, I finally gave up trying on my own. I backed up my iPhone 6s Plus to iTunes, and took my phone and MacBook to Apple, (Simply Mac actually), and they did a “reset” and “restore from iTunes backup “.

Fingers crossed..that was just yesterday..but so far no more freezing and black screen.

I am still having issues with my ‘received’ text message bubbles disappearing under the response line, under/behind the keyboard so to speak ..when I type my response, and I can’t pull them back up into the screen. I have to exit messages and go back in. Not as frustrating as the 30-second black screen was however. Maybe NEXT update

Yes having the same issues on my iPhone 7

Suffered by the same "blackout" issue for both iPhone 6s and iPhone 7 plus, though it happened when I tried to power on the phone and there was no response for less than 1 minute. Fortunately the phone would work again after several trials.

My best guess is some bug of iOS 11 while hoping it would be resolved sooner.

Btw, the iPhone 7 plus frequently sticks on black screen with spinning wheel after upgrade to iOS 11 by OTA. Though these issues are tolerable so far comparing to the effort needed for a complete backup and recovery, which was indicated to be ineffective.

try connect fro t camera and home button and then turn on the phone ... if the problem os same then is Audio I.C is damage.

need remove and see if any track is damage...

and replace

I have just downloaded the newest 11.0.3 update this morning. My phone wasn’t having any issues before this latest update. But, now it’s freezing and not turning off or turning back when I do turn it off. The volume controls are hit or miss on working. Apps freeze. I have the IPhone SE.

Thawng will be eternally grateful.

Past 24 Hours: 1,436