Repair guides and support for laptops by Lenovo.

3.5mm jack broke off and is now stuck

I (stupidly) used a cheap 3.5mm extension cable and the jack broke off inside my Lenovo Y50-70. Does anyone have an idea how to get it out? Or would I have to replace the entire audio IO part?

You can try using a plastic soda straw which is sliced so it can conform to the smaller diameter of the jack socket. Place the straw around the broken plug and slowly press it between the jack and plug once you’ve bottomed out you should be able to pull the broken plug out just like a cookie cutter does.

Here’s a metal version which I find is quite useful! GripStick Headphone Plug Extraction Tool

GripStick Headphone Plug Extraction Tool Image

Product

GripStick Headphone Plug Extraction Tool

$24.99

This has worked for me a couple times on phones - Grab the plastic tube inside a biro or pen (i have also used a q-tip with the cotton end cut off), melt the tip with a lighter for a quick couple seconds and when the melted plastic is still malleable, stick it in on top of the broken jack. hold it there for a few seconds to cool down and then yank it out, (hopefully) the tip will be stuck to the end!

I hope that works for you :) otherwise i'm sure you will get some helpful answers from the other folk around here

Luis will be eternally grateful.