4-inch iPhone released in March 2016 with similar hardware specifications to the 6s. Available in Silver, Space Grey, Gold, or Rose Gold with 16/64 GB storage options. Model A1662 and A1723.

Can the iPhone SE boot up without a battery like the iPhone 5?

Curious if the iPhone SE can boot up and function (for testing purposes) without a battery installed.

This is a great question. I have not been able to test this since a lot of the SE's I get end up being drowned by the ocean.

I am curious about this too. It sounds likely, but @refectio should know.

Just tested it! Looks like it needs a battery plugged in to start, but the capacity and current charge don't matter. I put a known dead battery in, plugged it in, and it booted. You can also disconnect the battery and it will just run on the incoming voltage.

TL;DR It needs a battery, but the condition of the battery doesn't matter.

Interestingly enough, in January, a post (How to test if the Tristar has failed or the battery) talked about how if your phone turned off after disconnecting the battery while plugged into AC power, then the tristar IC may be damaged. Just thought this might be interesting for anyone looking at this later on.

That _is_ very interesting. Nice simple debugging is priceless. Thanks for the tip!

Christopher Fernandes will be eternally grateful.