0

rogerandersen
1

Weak WiFi after repair

After my LCD/Digitizer repair I have WiFi issues. It will find networks, but only when I'm inside a range of maybe 50cm from the router. Anything else makes the phone disconnect and not able to see or connect again until I move closer.

Is the thin on the bottom of the phone the WiFi antenna or are there other places I should check too ?

Edited by: rogerandersen ( )

4

Bradley
181

I had the same problem with my iPhone 4 and could not figure out why. Then I started messing with it and I realized the problem. I thought this would have nothing to do with the wifi connection but it does. When you first take the back off your phone there is a panel you have to take off that is by the camera. I believe like 5 screws including an abnormally long one. Well there is a tiny metal fitting that fits around the screw when you thread it in. Well mine fell off the first time I took my phone apart but I figured it meant nothing so I left it off. Then put my phone back together and wifi was weak. I thought for a few days and messed with it and I put that metal piece back on and I had 3 strong wifi bars. I thought that couldn't be it so I took it off again and it was weak again.

thanks bradley. that did the trick. I guess evrything thats in their is for a reason.

william mendez,

0

Neil
161

If it's like the Touch then the antenna will make contact with the metal case - if it doesn't (or has a poor connection) it will have a low range.

0

Zack
1

Where can I buy this tiny metal fitting or is there a part or something I can buy here? my phone is having the same issue.

0

christopher
1

i have the same problem but on my 4S. is it the same? if it is, i must of lost the metal piece :/

0

Bradley
181

I have replaced the screen on my iPhone 4A and the only tiny metal piece I noticed was the one on the side of the motherboard right beside the camera. I don't believe there is one on the metal panel.

0

angie tolbert
1

im sure william made that up just so you would take your phone apart to look for it

0

djmadcracker
1

I had the same problem.. if you look closely at the plate it's isolated from the metal with plastic. so it connects that little pad on the right side to the upper left part of the frame (wifi part of the frame) I myself lost that metal piece because as I took it out it flew. I thought it was junk metal. and next day low and behold my WW-DRT 150% router was 5 feet away yet I had only 1 bar. strange.. to fix this I took a single strand of copper wire from some 22 guage wire and solder it to that pad (tiny - don't do this if you don't know how to solder). then when reassembling it I wrapped it around the screw making sure not to touch any other metal except that long screw. it works! I have 4 bars a good 50 ft away from my router now