Rapid battery drain & overheating home button

I bought a used iPhone 6s a month ago, the previous owner had replaced the battery just before selling. As I got the phone, it showed that touch ID couldn't be activated, the previous owner said he didn't have that problem before the battery replacement. I didn't think much of it until I started to notice that the battery was draining very fast, especially on standby. Also the home button gets hot when I'm not using the phone.

Yesterday I noticed my screen bulging up from the left edge, apparently the battery was swollen and I paid to get it replaced, only to get the new battery and experience the same kind of draining (for example currently it has been on airplane mode and untouched for 40 minutes and the battery went from 87% to 61%).

Could it be the home button/touch ID? And would replacing it work, or is there a risk that the problem would still persist and I would just waste money while the phone would still be practically unusable?

There's a very high likelihood that that the two are related. The TouchID/Home Button/Flex Link may have been damaged when the battery was replaced just before you bought it. To boot, whoever replaced the battery the first time appears to have used a cheap replacement battery.

To troubleshoot, I would turn on Assistive Touch (Settings/General/Accessibility/Assistive Touch) so that you can navigate your phone without a home button. Then I would open it up, using this guide, to do a good visual inspection of the Home button, the thin flex connector coming out of the button as well as the flex extension/link that goes beneath the backlight (check out this picture as a reference). Finally, inspect the connectors where the screen assembly connects to the logic board, specifically the one highlighted in Step 20 of the linked guide.

If everything looks good, then disconnect only the Home Button to see if the battery drain issue is resolved. If the Home Button is the issue, you can replace it but you will lose TouchID functionality. Unfortunately, it sounds like you were sold a defective device.

iPhone 6s LCD Screen and Digitizer Image

Jane will be eternally grateful.