iPod 5th Generation (Video)

Model A1136 / 30, 60, or 80 GB hard drive / black or white plastic front

Loose headphone connection replacement necessary?

I'm loosing one half of the audio signal from the headphone jack, I can jiggle the jack and get both channels, but not for long.

Can the headphone jack be tightened in the Ipod, or am I looking at replacement?

Ok, thanks, I can replace the battery and the jack while I have the ipod open Jim

by Jim

Jim did you get it accomplished and how is your iPod

by oldturkey03

Yes, replaced both the battery and the headphone jack, ipod is working like new. Ifixit should recommend having a magnifying glass on hand when working on some of the connectors. This old fart really needed it!

by Jim

Sure know what you mean :) I never knew how old I was until I started with those iPods. Now I do not do any work without my trusty magnifiers and my USB microscope :) Anyhow Jim, all you have left is to accept an answer so that we know your case is resolved. Best of luck to you

by oldturkey03

There is no way you can tighten the connection. Personally I would just go ahead and replace it. It is not a very difficult job and parts are readily available To open it up and replace the jack follow these instructions iPod 5th Generation (Video) Headphone Jack & Hold Switch Replacement Good Luck and let us know how it is progressing :)

Mentioned Items

Jim will be eternally grateful.