The Mac Pro First Generation is an Intel Xeon-based workstation computer manufactured by Apple Inc. between the years of 2006 and 2013.

Wont BOOT, fans at full throttle

Hi all, I have done a search but my problem doesn't quite fit the already listed ones. I have a 2006 Mac Pro 1.1 2.66 dual core, dual processor machine.

It has 11GB Ram (2x4GB, 2x1GB. 2x512Mb)

All four drive bays are occupied.

No BT or Airport, standard Superdrive.

The problem is that it will not boot any more. When I power it on the LED lights at the front, then the fans slowly spool up to maximum speed.

When it was 8 months old I had this issue, and it went back for repair and the power supply was replaced. I am thinking that it has gone again. Are my symptoms correct for this, or how can I definitively test further to confirm? I don't particularly want to pay out for a new Power Supply only for the logicboard to be toast.

Many thanks

Charles

I have checked the LED's next to the diagnostic button on the main board and the only one illuminating when I press the button is the Trickle LED. The power one does not light. I am leaning more towards the power supply.

Charlie - Did you ever figure out this issue?

Hi, Try to run the AHT for your machine. If you are able to do so it should give you a better idea of whats wrong. I am providing a link to Apple about the AHT. If you are unable to run the test I'm sure mayer will be along shortly to assist. Good luck

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1509

Hi, I have the AHT on the original Boot discs, however as the machine won't start I'm kinda stuck....Thanks tho.

I realize that this is a very late response, but perhaps it will help others who search the "Answers Index" area here.

Have you tried a(n) SMC reset? This can "cure" a lot of issues.

• Reset SMC of an iMac, Mac Pro, Mac Mini:
  • Shut down the computer.
  • Unplug the computer's power cord.
  • Wait fifteen - twenty seconds.
  • Attach the computer's power cord.
  • Wait five seconds, then press the power button to turn on the computer.

OR

• Shut down your Mac
  • Disconnect the power cord

• Wait fifteen - twenty seconds.
  • Press and hold the Mac’s power button for 5 seconds
  • 
Release the button

• Reattach the power cables and boot the Mac as usual

Charlie will be eternally grateful.