Rainbow color across main board

Hey guys I've seen this several times in iPhones and it usually ends up being something I cannot repair. So I am trying to understand what is causing this. Devices are non functioning when the come to me. Upon opening. The main board has a rainbow sheen to it. Looks like metal when you get it really hot. That rainbow look it gets. Has anyone else experienced this? Any answers on what caused this or if it is repairable or not?

UPDATE (added picture, by @refectio)

[image|1173974]

No signs of water damage to the device. Battery is kind of spongy. I've seen much worse before though. The device is not bent and appears taken care of

A picture would be nice...

Based on your limited description, it sound to me like either something caused by water damage or excessive heat. I'll know more when you post a photo (add it to your question, posting photos to a comment doesn't work).

Alright...I guess my eyes aren't what they used to be...

Where exactly is this rainbow :>)? Do you mean the slight discolorations near the numbers?

It's very hard to capture the discoloration in a photo but yes it is there as well as the entire top half of the board above the SIM card reader. This isn't the first time I've seen this issue either. You can a bit of it as well by the ic next to the camera flex

This is super weird, and making me think it's a region thing. Is it one specific model? How many times have you seen it? Do the phones sit in your shop for any amount of time, before being inspected?

Could be a sign that they are refurbished devices (hence have gone though some heating etc).

I'm trying to think of an outcome that would yield those results...

RC Sessions will be eternally grateful.