UE Boom 2 remote power not working

I am using the boom 2 via my iPhone 6s so I have Bluetooth 4.0 support. Yet somehow the remote power on function does not seem to work. I can switch my boom 2 off but when I want to turn it back on again via the app it just gives a standard instruction on how to connect your phone to boom 2.

The remote power function in the setting is turned on by the way.

Any thoughts?

I'm having the exact same issue :(

Same issue here, although I am having the problem with my Samsung galaxy s8. Will try on iPhone 7 and iPad air also. Have noticed that when i first turn the speaker off the power button is available in the app for a short time, but it drops out after 30 secs or so

Same issue. It turns off and goes to the "let's hook up"screen

Same issue here.. Should we all ask for a swap as some previous model used to work?

@tidjoz - As it is probably a firmware or app issue, I don't think that would help. But it would be good if we all contact UE support.

Most Helpful Answer

Look at your bluetooth settings within the phone is the Boom2 listed? If not it is not paired with your phone.

I have a iPhone 7+ which will react this way since I've removed the speaker from my phones listing. From within my iPad I can use the app to turn the speaker on or off without any problems as its paired with it.

Frankly, I'm surprised the speaker will even turn on within the app when it's not paired to the phone! FYI: I have my speaker paired with my iPad & MacBook Pro as you can only have two devices sharing the speaker.

It is listed, but I can not connect to it, as soon as I turn the Boom2 off from within the app it disappears from my connected devices, which is normal for regular Bluetooth devices.

But there is an option in the app called "remote power" which is supposed to let you turn on your speaker via the app.

I have only paired the speaker with my iPhone and MacBook Pro.

What is the list order of the bluetooth devices within Settings > Bluetooth section? Move your Boom2 to the top entry. See if that solves it.

I fully understand what you are talking about, thats not the problem. I use it all of the time with my iPad (yes you can use the app within it's a bit messy as UE didn't format it to be a universal app).

I have my speaker as the first listed and my AirPods listed second.

My Boom2 is listed last, since it is the last device I connected to.

How can I change the order of this list without deleting all my previous connections?

Within MacOS its quite easy just drag and drop. Within iOS it's a pain! As you found out the order with which you add them in is was sets it.

In my case it just worked out that way ;-}

Are you using iOS 10 or by chance using iOS 11 Beta? I'm using iOS 10

I have the same issue. Have a new device to replace my previous one, and the old one had no problem, even if it was at the bottom of the list. New one does not remotely power on at all. Removing all connections except the boom was not a solution.

Update: Ultimate Ears customer service is not responding anymore after repeated emails. I'm opening up a new case, since this is an important feature for me.

Update: UE Service is not responding to emails anymore. I think they gave up : (

My current suspicion is that there is a bug in the app, so that it does not show you the power button. I'm putting this feedback in an App Store review and hope new app update will fix this.

@sjors - mmm... I'm starting to think this is a Boom2 firmware issue.

Sjores - As you have two (one working and the other not), can you see if your firmware levels are the same or different between them. I'll check mine as well.

@Dan Yes, I think it's a firmware issue. I have the latest version on there (updated last Tue). The other one I can't check unfortunately, because it has been stolen. Hence the new one :)

Sorry to hear your Boom2 sprouted legs and ran off ;--{

My UE app is version 5.3.85 and the Boom2 firmware is 2.0.101 Which is working with both my iPhone & iPad correctly.

@danj - App version: 5.3.85. firmware: 2.0.101

I've read reached out to UE Support. Their reaction:

" Please specify how and when did you first notice the problem. To identify possible causes, please try the following steps below and inform me of the outcome by replying to this email:

• Unpair and re-pair

• Re-install application

• Update firmware

• Reset speaker

Turn on your UE Speaker. Hold down the volume down button and the power button at the same time until you hear a sound. Your UE Speaker will then turn off.

Upon reboot, it will be on pairing mode

NOTE: You may need to do this more than once if it will not connect upon initial pairing

• Test on another device"

@sjors - Sorry I had a typo in my info (fixed now). We have exactly the same App & firmware versions. How odd!

Maybe this issue is related to what firmware you had on it before. In my case I've upgraded a few times, whereas you have what it came with (new).

I had the same issue with my new iPhone 7 ,.. iPad Air 2 had no problem with Remote Power on. After

- Removing the app

- Removing the Bluetooth pairing

- Reinstalling the app

- Reconnecting the Boom

My problem was solved. I'm now able to remote power the Boom with my phone.

Which technology makes this remote power available? I've got mulitple bluetooth devices that do not support that feature. Is that a feature from bluetooth 4?

Thanks for your answer. I tried this exact approach just now, and it did not work for me. The app just does not show the power on button anymore. Only an instruction. It might be a bug in the app...

Ruud Bloemhof will be eternally grateful.