High performance tablet computer released by Apple on November 11, 2015. Model A1584.

iPad Pro 12.9 touchscreen is unresponsive from time to time

I bought the iPad Pro 3 months after released date until now. Recently my iPad Pro sometimes unresponsive to any kind of tap but as far as I know 5 finger gesture still works but 1/2 fingers tap and swipe is not possible.

I can return to home just like pressing the home button by swipe with 5 fingers.

During unresponsive I cannot

- tap with 1 finger.

- swipe left and right with 1 finger.

- swipe with 2 finger

- zoom in zoom out with 2 finger.

I haven't made any update since I got it from Apple. iOS 10.2

At first I I tried to tap and it doesn't respond but keep tapping it sometimes works. Not so often but I dislike it when it occurs during gaming. Leave it rest awhile and it just back online as it used to be about a couple minutes.

So I made another test by using apple pencil when touchscreen is unresponsive and it works apple pencil works like normal.

I am never drop the iPad, nor crash it against something let say I am taking care of it like a little chid.

Now I see where the problem came from. I leave the Apple Pencil battery to runs out completely. Now touchscreen is solved but when I plugged the Apple Pencil back just within a first 3 seconds I having a same issue again.

I am also have no sweaty finger too because I am only sweaty when using iPhone only (too hot for my finger)

Right now I updated my iPad Pro and no problem just yet. But new update seems to make my touchscreen a bit too sensitive than usual.

I also have iPad Pro 12.9 inch. Sporadically the touchscreen will not respond. I did all the updates and a full factory reset. Still does respond every now and then. Sometimes for 1-2 minutes, other times only for a few seconds. For $1100 I expect a lot more from apple. Not happy at all

I have been having problems with my iPad Pro 10.5 for three months now. The screen often and arbitrarily ignores my touch, especially when I'm typing. I tried resetting and using different settings. Finally, I did a full reset, after many hard restarts, and it did not solve the issue. I'm starting to loathe my iPad.

I have all the latest updates and now over the past 2 months I have times when I can not use the touchscreen because it does not respond. Not what I expect from Apple!

The first thing I would try is to update iOS to the latest version. I would also try a proper backup and then a full restore just to eliminate the possibility that this is a software problem (app, iOS) or a data corruption problem.

Otherwise, it is either a defective screen or a problem with the Touch circuitry on the logic board. However, the replacement screens are very expensive so it is not very effective to try and troubleshoot the hardware yourself.

iPad Pro 12.9" LCD Screen and Digitizer Image

Product

iPad Pro 12.9" LCD Screen and Digitizer

$199.99

It is too expensive!!!

Idk if it's totally works but from that till now no problem occurs yet. Maybe it really works but how? because it is a same iOS from first use and I have been using a same iOS over a year and problem just simply solved by it's own update?

That's why I like repairing hardware ;>). You generally understand why and how you fixed something. Software can be mysterious at times.

Keep an eye on it and hope for the best.

Ok now I got a different result. When the touchscreen problem occurs in mid air I am just simply turn off the screen by tapping power button (not turn off the iPad) then just tap home button to use it again and touchscreen problem will be fixed by it's own. As far as I know it is still happening. I might better go to Apple to check it out. It's like in between of hardware and iOS? if it's hardware how I can fix the problem by simply double tap on power button? weird.

The cost of a replacement screen makes troubleshooting the iPad Pro very difficult. If you're no longer under warranty, consider finding a micro-solderer that has had some experience with this model. I say this because there aren't really any schematics out in the wild making this a tough device to work on. I would also bring it to Apple just to see what they say. This is their flagship product so they may be more flexible.

Most Helpful Answer

So far I can see some saying it’s:

1) Software issue

2) Hardware issue

3) Rotate the screen

4) Turn off Bluetooth

5) App issues

6) Backup and restore

So when will a true and documented solution comes about I will try It. Where is Apple in this issue? Seems to be a lot of people with this problem. My IPad Pro 12.9 with Verizon cellular and 256 Gb worked fine....at first. But now I am conflicted.

Apple We spent a Grand on your empire. Save us Obi Wan!

What I know the most is when the iPad Pro was out with iOS it's working very very fine until updated to iOS 10 I think there is a flaw in the iOS which Apple couldn't addressed it yet. I have been received a new iPad Pro from Apple after my Anger smash the iPad Pro for free but the unresponsive touch still kinda annoying. But most case it seems to happening to users that connect with Apple Pencil.

My iPad Pro 12.9 does this constantly and I have no Apple Pencil. Apple needs to admit there’s a problem and fix it free.

Guys have you tried disabling Gestures in Multitasking & Dock (Preferences - General)?

I was gonna go to Apple Genius Bar and even signed up for the Service appointment but then after I switched Gestures Off and then On it seems it started to work absolutely fine. Will keep you posted.

I did it long ago but it doesn't make any different. My iPad Pro seems to having problem with rotation because sometimes it confused of what position I am holding in which they shown me a portrait and landscape at the same time.

This works. But you have to turn it off to get the full benefit. I did this so i could keep playing my games. Or else i keep losing because of sudden loss in touch input. Thanks for the feedback.

This is a temporary solution until apple makes this software issue go away. Hopefully in the mext update. Or else this is just a band aid for now. Not loving it.

I know that these issues with my iPad Pro 12.9 are not due to mine having this or that issue, because my husband’s iPad is always playing up around the same time as mine is. Apple are f’ing c*nts pardon my French! I will never buy another product from them!

After reading this I looked into it and I kind a remember turning the ‘Allow multiple apps’ on, I turned it and all the other options on the multitasking and Dock page off and freezing has stopped for me.. thanks

I tried all solutions in this thread - nothing helped.

After that I realized on my side the problem is connected to the Smart Cover. When I connect Smart Cover I have all sorts of problems with unresponsive touch. When I disconnect Smart Cover it works just fine!

@JohnC, I also have noticed that it seems to be triggered often when connecting or disconnecting the smart cover. Unfortunately, that doesn't seem to be the only thing triggering it and, for me, reversing the connection doesn't seem to undo it. The only thing that seems to fix it for me is a hard restart—and sometimes I have to hard restart it a dozen times in a row before the iPad will sense my touches again.

In my case hard restart doesn’t help much. Have you tried disabling Bluetooth and Apple Pencil? I think that also helps.

Try turning off Bluetooth.

Tried turning off Bluetooth ironically the switch was on a dead spot so I had to rotate the screen to find a live spot to turn it off. It didn’t work. Thanks for suggesting it but it boils down to shoddy products at this point.

I tried everything.

Finally helped: fully reset an NOT restore from backup.

So it seems to be a software problem.

gl!

unfortunately for my case it isn't.

Mr.Hymn - did you re-insall all the app one by one from the app store and similar with all the media? this fixed my issue finally

Resetting to Factory settings seems to have been helped me!

i think apple is having issues with pencil / palm rejection and making the touch screen work. This would be an issue for users that takes lots of notes, going between apps with pencil and touch but they probably haven't taken on board since most people probably don't use pencil all day long like I do . Not sure what can be done-hoping it will resolve with update

Now I see what exactly is the main issue of this. Just simply rotate the iPad from either horizontal to portrait or portrait to horizontal and I will be able to tap again but after a few updates, I got less issue of this.

sometimes shutting down works, sometimes changing orientation works, etc,,

but problem comes back and annoying - it shouldnt be doing this.

Exactly. I can't do much and update doesn't fix it entirely but reduce the chances.

I hooe they know that its going on and fix it - really annoying.

Keeps coming back. Frustrating. Started after 10 upgrade then got worse with each upgrade.

I did not upgrade the iOS but as I learned to hold it in proper angle. That unresponsive touch seems no longer annoying me now

I got a replacement again after there's screen backlighting issue, the touch screen response seem fixed now. I also did not use back/up restore, rather, installed everything fresh to avoid bugs. This was bit of pain but it seems to be going fine.

I have just the same problem with the 2.gen Ipad. :(

I have only 2 resolutions. first just changing the angle of iPad Pro and if it's doesn't work press sleep button then press the home button back. Everything should go to normal but it isn't solve any long term problem though. No need to restart or even force restart, doesn't help.

Apple is just selling poor quality products. My iPad Pro is difficult to type on because of touch issues and the iPhone X has issues as well. My solution is to grin and bear it until I can write them both off.

Yes, it is something to do with the pencil. I get no response with touching with fingers, but the pencil works fine. If I try a few times the finger response seems to come back.

Same here. No resolution found yet.

I formerly had a 10" ipad pro and used the pen on it with no problem, but my daughter dropped it and shattered the screen. Fortunately, someone at work retired and turned in a 12.9" ipad pro. Unfortunately, the screen will stop responding to touches all the time. This only happens between the screen turning off and on. i.e, it never just stops working in the middle of me using it. However, I've tried several things to get it to sense touches again and I can't find a consistent solution. Sometimes, it starts working after I do a hard reset. Other times, I have to hard reset it 5-8 times. Other times, it will only work if the Apple pencil is plugged in when I reset it. Other times, it'll become responsive after rotating the screen back and forth. The problem is that none of these solutions seem to work the next time I use it. It's becoming increasingly annoying and increasingly difficult to use the darn machine. This is clearly a software issue. Not sure what's causing it (though I suspect it's a palm-rejection algorithm gone awry)

Yes. Rotating the screen helps. I am still have no solution for 12.9 As far as I know if you want to see why screen become unresponsive please enable dynamic background or wallpaper, when screen become unresponsive. You will see background is shaking. Like a iPad confuse which direction or angle we're holding the iPad right now.

mine has improved significantly with the latest public Beta release. maybe they fixed it?

Not so sure but yes iOS 11 have less sensitivity than iOS 10

So, after a few months of owning my new iPad Pro and working through this issue, i'm starting to realize that it has to do with other things touching the screen at the same time.

Sometimes, when i'm holding the iPad a certain way (e.g., balanced between my thumb and palm on one hand), the issue will pop up, but then I place the iPad on the table and the issue goes away.

I think it has something to do with the edge of the screen registering some object as a finger incorrectly. At least that's my .02 based on a couple months of playing with the device. Hope that helps some folks. It's still really frustrating. iPad Mini (1st Gen) and my iPhone 6s don't have these issues.

Chris, this is not correct for everyone and is misleading information on the forum. I and many have had this screen problem when it’s docked into the keyboard where nothing can interfere with poor handling of the device. This is a fault with either the hardware or software, not clumsy hands.

Sorry if you view my post as misleading... was simply stating my observations. Maybe my issue is different than yours *shrugs*

I actually agree with Chris. I have also noticed this.

That said while similar I have also tested with the iPad Pro 12.9 sitting on a desk and not held seeing the issue here. I believe it is related to the pencil as while the issue was occurring with an APP I took the pencil out of BT range and the problem went away.

Returning the pencil caused a recurrence of the issue. This was done without removing focus from the app in question.

The pencil always worked on the screen when fingers did not.

‘Forgetting’ the Bluetooth connection to the pencil also seemed to clear it up.

Chris, I have the same problem with mine. If anything else is touching the screen it is unresponsive. I’ve also found the same thing to be true with my iPhone 7 and my iPhone 7 Plus. Had the same problem with iPhone 6 and my iPhone 6 Plus, the 5 and the 5S. The last problem free iPhone were my iPhone 4’s. My first generation Retina display iPad never had any problems, still doesn’t. The quality of Apple devices and assessories are for s**t. My iPad Pro worked fine until recently. Don’t know if it started with the iOS 11 software. I noticed the keys “sticking” when I was typing. Then it became unresponsive when I tapped on app icons. When are they releasing the next generation of iPads? If anyone knows or has heard any rumors.

I had a similar though that I might have been holding some fingers too close to the screen. Now I type very deliberately with only one fingers and I still get the non-appearing characters. I have to do a hard restart every 15-60 minutes, problems start emerging again after 10-15 minutes. Very frustrating. I’m looking for a different tabeteasei’s s fustrtg. That last piece was he iPads version of tablet because it’s so frustrating. Typed with onefinger very slowly to make sure every key is pressed. Bye, have to restart again ....

If you're having this issue, you should try to use iTunes on your Mac or PC to backup and restore your iOS software to factory settings, as this process erases the information and settings on your device and installs a fresh copy of the latest iOS software. Temporarily setup your iPad Pro as new to test your issues, and then restore your backup and test the issues again. this worked for me

followed same steps after 3 days of this that and the other.... still having issues. Only works 100% with apple pencil, the touchscreen with hand is hit or miss and usually miss.

Im starting to think these probems are caused via the new install feature on ios. The feature that connects to you old ios device and uses this as a install guide. I also have issues with notes not connecting with my Aple id account.

Just had the issue on my iPad Pro 12’. Since it is a Dec.2015 model, they do not cover in the warranty and asked me for $600 for the repair!

Its not a software problem, it is a hardware problem. The touch sensor controller stop working or just does not work properly.

Very unhappy with apple!!

I can partially solved the problem by rotating the screen I think it have a problem with a rotation sensor somehow

I don't know what to say about it but I tried so many ways to end this problem but it won't and I'm not sure if new iPad 2018 and new iOS would work, I do not dare to update the iOS as I am afraid of increase the issues that I already have.

1) Software issue >> Could be iOS but never see a problem in iOS 9

2) Hardware issue >> I smashed the iPad with anger and get a new one and still have a problem???

3) Rotate the screen >> helped from time to time but not every time

3.5) Restart the iPad or Turn off the screen and turn it back on >> helped from time to time but not every time

4) Turn off Bluetooth >> tried and still not working

5) App issues >> it is happening to all apps so not the app issues for sure

6) Backup and restore >> tried and still the same

Best solution I have is to place iPad nearly flat or flat on a table and 90 degree vertical which usually will 100% working all the time without any problems.

Tried everything it just keeps hanging and being intermittent not responding. This has mainly happened since last iOS updates. I also find my pencil looses its charge when not being used if I have bt on. This only happened since latest iOS update.

Shame iPads used be good!

So I think I mostly fixed this on my side. Previously I wrote that removing Smart Cover worked but I still was experiencing unresponsive moments. And it was getting worse with time. There’s almost no issues after I did the following:

1) Updated to iOS 11.3.1 - that helped a bit. Apple wrote it fixes an issue with the screen, maybe it improves iPad behavior as well. I’m not sure but my impression it does help.

2) Removed Facebook app (it helped with battery life at least)

3) Went to Background App Refresh and disabled almost all applications in there. I think disabling everything helps a lot! But I need at least Mail and a couple of others.

Using this config second day in a row and there are still random unresponsive moments but only a few of them. I have Bluetooth enabled, Apple Pencil connected and Smart Cover as well.

My iPad is still under warranty, I’ll wait more to see if it’s a software issue in the end and if it gets worse will go to Apple Service. It was a very annoying experience lasting three months.

my latest theory is the internet connection issue.

my internet was having issues and the screen freeze came back.

I reset all the network settings on my ipad (under settings - reset - networksettings. ) and this is working agains so far.

If you have a website that is having log in issues, etc.. it will continuously try to connect to back up to cloud, etc... so basically apple made this thing that needs to be on perfect internet all the time. .. cart before the horse.

I got my iPad Pro 12.9in as a Christmas present and now not even a year of use and I am having the same issues. I've tried everything mentioned on this thread (with the newest version of the ios installed) and as of this morning the touch screen is still really sketchy. Losing faith in Apple products these days, my MacBook Air died shortly after the one year warranty was up (just wouldn't start one day) and now my iPad Pro's touch screen is unresponsive with occasionally crashing. At least this time, my apple product is still under warranty. I'll be bringing it to the Apple Store tomorrow to see what they have to say since it's not just me that has this issue. Therefore, they should know what the heck is going on with their products.

Let us know what they say at the Apple store!

Okey, seems on my end it was a hardware issue (I tried hardware reset, disabling iPad features, removing apps - nothing helped. It looked like it helped but then touch delays were getting back). Apple replaced the iPad and all my problems went away.

I have an iPad Pro....same problem....and Indont even have a pencil!

My wife has an iPad mini....same problem

A friend has an iPad air....same problem

It’s NOT A HARWARE PROBLEM, it’s an IOS problem that Apple has yet to acknowledge and FIX !!

GRRrrrrrrrrrrr!!

Update,

With the aid of an Apple tech guide...he suggested it could have been a faulty IOS update causing the problem.

This morning I went through the procedure of first backing up, then restoring to factory settings, re installing etc etc.

So far, it seems to have worked. Keeping fingers crossed.

Update #2

After 24 hours of using all problems seem to be resolved. Working like a new computer.

Do let know what happened after a week. Coz i did the factory reset b4 and nope, it doesnt help

Amat.....now the 5th day since factory reset. When I say factory reset I mean wiping everything off back to a new computer. So far still working normal.

I have to agree. I commented on this post 3 months ago and have been monitoring all comments. I factory reset and it has certainly been the best fix to date. If I can add to the reset. Factory reset. Test. Install an app. Test. Keep loading apps. Test. Whether it's an app or iOS. It's a software issue I believe.

apple replaced my ipad pro 12.9 2nd Generation at end of april but since sunday i got the same problem again. here a video https://youtu.be/hQdfnMg5UWs

I like the IPad Pro but at the end I can’t work with it. Hopefully it’s just a Software problem but I can’t believe it. Here an other Video

https://youtu.be/9YMRy0GNgfE

Hi, all. iPad Pro 12.9 512 WiFi 2017 with Apple Pencil.

I’ve come here for an answer but of course didn’t found it. But then after furiously ripping off my matte screen protector (then regret it because I love drawing with that applied), restart (which didn’t do it either), this what worked for me:

- turn off Bluetooth. iPad will notify that your Bluetooth peripheral will reconnect after 24hours

- long press reboot

- after login try gestures. All seemed worked fine

- turn on Bluetooth. Plugged my Apple Pencil to reconnect

- voila. Worked just flawlessly like before. Hope this helps.

Now I’ll have to get replacement for my screen protector (sigh)

My keyboard doesn’t respond on my 12” iPad Pro when anything is touching the screen edges. I rest it on my stomach while watching tv, and if the edges touch my T-shirt, the keys don’t respond. If nothing is touching, it works fine.

iPad Pro 12.9 3 months old at time of first incident -never dropped! Everything worked fine playing Vainglory MOBA till 4 in the morning. Nov/Dec 2017 I think iOS updated and it has been worthless for reliability ever since! To say I am so irritated with Apple is an understatement! Purchased specifically for this gaming app and now I just expect it to screw me every time I try to play randomly freezing in middle of battles where other people count on you. I believe it’s software related based on time of events. If Apple does not make this right I will never buy another product and I will bad mouth them without end. Yes I’ve tried every fix short of replacing it and now it’s go time! -_-

And to answer many questions - Freezes randomly no matter what app/configuration/settings. I wiped it with a fresh install disabling all/various touch screen settings with nothing else on device and it still glitches !!!

I have the same problem with my iPad Pro 12.9, few months after use. I took videos and showed it to Apple and they replaced both my smart cover and the iPad with new ones. It worked fine for two months and the same problem emerges today. I come here for an answer but apparently I fail to get a solution. Apple please fix it.

Mr. Hymn will be eternally grateful.