High performance tablet computer released by Apple on November 11, 2015. Model A1584.

iPad Pro 12.9 touchscreen is unresponsive from time to time

I bought the iPad Pro 3 months after released date until now. Recently my iPad Pro sometimes unresponsive to any kind of tap but as far as I know 5 finger gesture still works but 1/2 fingers tap and swipe is not possible.

I can return to home just like pressing the home button by swipe with 5 fingers.

During unresponsive I cannot

- tap with 1 finger.

- swipe left and right with 1 finger.

- swipe with 2 finger

- zoom in zoom out with 2 finger.

I haven't made any update since I got it from Apple. iOS 10.2

At first I I tried to tap and it doesn't respond but keep tapping it sometimes works. Not so often but I dislike it when it occurs during gaming. Leave it rest awhile and it just back online as it used to be about a couple minutes.

So I made another test by using apple pencil when touchscreen is unresponsive and it works apple pencil works like normal.

I am never drop the iPad, nor crash it against something let say I am taking care of it like a little chid.

Now I see where the problem came from. I leave the Apple Pencil battery to runs out completely. Now touchscreen is solved but when I plugged the Apple Pencil back just within a first 3 seconds I having a same issue again.

After iOS 12 the problem still there even it’s a bit less but it seems to occur from some kind of angle and rotation. Shaking iPad Pro a few times seems to be the best way to fix the issue temporary. I have to shake it a lot when I am playing in bed.

I think one of the problem that I believe in… Must be the iPad fault itself (bending). I mean the material that made or construct the iPad Pro is as thin as iPad mini so it is easily to bend.

I am noticed this problem because I am once visit the shop and staff put my iPad pro 12.9 on the table and told me that very very slightly of iPad pro is bend. I think because this bend causing touchscreen sensitivity to not working properly in some certain angle, especially in landscape mode. However I am still having problem in portrait mode also when playing Clash Royale. There are some kind of hardware system or piece that determine what angle of iPad pro is and rotate the screen for. So while this problem occur I am also seeing my iPad Pro doesn’t rotate when tilt to either from Landscape to Portrait or Portrait to landscape. Shaking like !&&* is one of the best calibration but only works in a short period of time.

When playing while on bed that iPad Pro is facing down to me, also making iPad sensitivity nearly stop working.

I wish I am still have a video that I took. You all should try by changing background to apple logo. While problem occurs or screen is freezing or sensitivity is bad, You will see Apple logo background is shaking like !&&*.

Background must be set to Dynamic to see how it works.

Sensitivity is bad while playing or typing, there will be some spot or whole touchscreen stop working in very short time but can come and go many times during a few seconds period.

Screen freezing will take a lot longer and whole iPad touchscreen is not working.

Both can be temporary fixed by Shaking real hard (make sure you are holding iPad firmly so it won’t fly out)

I don’t have time to get a replacement but right now All I know is iPad Pro seems to choose the time of error by it’s own. Problem always occur at night while I’m in bed. Some kind of angle or iPad orientation?

Never have this problem while working. Could be an iPad orientation that cause this problem? or because of night shift?

Something weird in my iPad Pro.

I am no longer have this problem while using before 5 PM… But problem seems to start at 8 PM and more…

Anyone have this problem of shaking iPad logo. I did a clean install already so it doesn’t have so many apps like in this video but shaking still be but less occurs. This problem doesn’t occur every time when touchscreen stop working but touchscreen 100% not working when this thing occurs.

I am noticing this because I did set my background as dynamic and only apple logo and by this I can see when problem occurs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4a-kgAZv...

Buy a new one is best solution for now. Today i went to Apple care and staff cannot diagnosed my iPad problem but simply replied. It’s normal for any iPad under heavy usages for many years. They do not have repair policy here but instead return and giving me a new (with a %#*@ price)

I might wait for a new iPad to come and see who will sell their iPad in very good price and condition..

or grab a new iPad instead

I am also have no sweaty finger too because I am only sweaty when using iPhone only (too hot for my finger)

Right now I updated my iPad Pro and no problem just yet. But new update seems to make my touchscreen a bit too sensitive than usual.

I also have iPad Pro 12.9 inch. Sporadically the touchscreen will not respond. I did all the updates and a full factory reset. Still does respond every now and then. Sometimes for 1-2 minutes, other times only for a few seconds. For $1100 I expect a lot more from apple. Not happy at all

I have been having problems with my iPad Pro 10.5 for three months now. The screen often and arbitrarily ignores my touch, especially when I'm typing. I tried resetting and using different settings. Finally, I did a full reset, after many hard restarts, and it did not solve the issue. I'm starting to loathe my iPad.

I have all the latest updates and now over the past 2 months I have times when I can not use the touchscreen because it does not respond. Not what I expect from Apple!

Most Helpful Answer

So far I can see some saying it’s:

1) Software issue

2) Hardware issue

3) Rotate the screen

4) Turn off Bluetooth

5) App issues

6) Backup and restore

So when will a true and documented solution comes about I will try It. Where is Apple in this issue? Seems to be a lot of people with this problem. My IPad Pro 12.9 with Verizon cellular and 256 Gb worked fine....at first. But now I am conflicted.

Apple We spent a Grand on your empire. Save us Obi Wan!

What I know the most is when the iPad Pro was out with iOS it's working very very fine until updated to iOS 10 I think there is a flaw in the iOS which Apple couldn't addressed it yet. I have been received a new iPad Pro from Apple after my Anger smash the iPad Pro for free but the unresponsive touch still kinda annoying. But most case it seems to happening to users that connect with Apple Pencil.

My iPad Pro 12.9 does this constantly and I have no Apple Pencil. Apple needs to admit there’s a problem and fix it free.

I already exchanged my new (3months old) iPad Pro because of the same issue. Now (after few months) everything’s back, touch screen is not responding from time to time.. I’m very disappointed and tired of this. I’m thinking of returning it. I don’t have a pencil so I don’t think this is the problem. Too much headache

Same problem here. Happens frequently.

Having same problem for about a month. I have had my iPad Pro 12.9 1st generation for 2 years and it has just now started acting up. Even now typing is a problem due to screen not responding intermittently!

I think it’s a software issue. Updated to ios12 public beta 3 days ago, no unresponsive screen sense that time, prior it was happening daily. Home button, power and volume rocker all worked, but couldn’t do touch screen. I’m running a 2nd gen iPad or 12.9 and all is good now.

Updated to iOS 12 (official release) and the touch problem still occurs.

Me too, IOS 12 has not resolved the problem

I think it’s time Apple got the finger out on this one. Widely reported and experienced on the pro 12.9, they now routinely advise all the usual ‘fixes” - which don’t make any difference. And once they have run you through all these non-fixes you are advised to submit your device for a hardware examination. Truth is ; the Apple IPad 12.9 has a major problem with intermittent unresponsiveness which Apple support have not been able to resolve - very off putting. (Even now I am having problems typing).

removed all of the widgets on the notification page , turning everything off (background refresh, Siri, dictation, thumbprint lock, location, gestures, Bluetooth, etc. removed my cover with “Smart Cover feature” and it seems to be helping .

i suspect that it’s due to the accelerometer which causes the delay

Different things seem to be working for different people.

What hasn’t worked for me: Full erase, iTunes restore

Widget Removal

1. Slide from top down
  2. swipe left to right one time
  3. tap “edit”
  4. tap “-“ then “remove” for each of the widgets (e.g. news, weather, calendar)
  5. tap “done” at the top/ middle/ off to the right hand corner after removing.
  6. I do believe that this is a software issue because I wasn’t experiencing this with 10.2. Hope this helps.

Deactivating the widgets like described above fixed this very annoying problem.

I had two 12.9 Pros -, both with the same screen-freezes. Possibly it‘s been one of the widgets like linkedIn, newsify ore something that updates in the background.

Deactivating widgets did NOT work for me

iPad Pro 12.9 3 months old at time of first incident -never dropped! Everything worked fine playing Vainglory MOBA till 4 in the morning. Nov/Dec 2017 I think iOS updated and it has been worthless for reliability ever since! To say I am so irritated with Apple is an understatement! Purchased specifically for this gaming app and now I just expect it to screw me every time I try to play randomly freezing in middle of battles where other people count on you. I believe it’s software related based on time of events. If Apple does not make this right I will never buy another product and I will bad mouth them without end. Yes I’ve tried every fix short of replacing it and now it’s go time! -_-

And to answer many questions - Freezes randomly no matter what app/configuration/settings. I wiped it with a fresh install disabling all/various touch screen settings with nothing else on device and it still glitches !!!

I have the same problem with my iPad Pro 12.9, few months after use. I took videos and showed it to Apple and they replaced both my smart cover and the iPad with new ones. It worked fine for two months and the same problem emerges today. I come here for an answer but apparently I fail to get a solution. Apple please fix it.

Lol I was also playing VG when the freezing happened. I thought I was going crazy. Very extremely frustrating.

So, after a few months of owning my new iPad Pro and working through this issue, i'm starting to realize that it has to do with other things touching the screen at the same time.

Sometimes, when i'm holding the iPad a certain way (e.g., balanced between my thumb and palm on one hand), the issue will pop up, but then I place the iPad on the table and the issue goes away.

I think it has something to do with the edge of the screen registering some object as a finger incorrectly. At least that's my .02 based on a couple months of playing with the device. Hope that helps some folks. It's still really frustrating. iPad Mini (1st Gen) and my iPhone 6s don't have these issues.

Chris, this is not correct for everyone and is misleading information on the forum. I and many have had this screen problem when it’s docked into the keyboard where nothing can interfere with poor handling of the device. This is a fault with either the hardware or software, not clumsy hands.

Sorry if you view my post as misleading... was simply stating my observations. Maybe my issue is different than yours *shrugs*

I actually agree with Chris. I have also noticed this.

That said while similar I have also tested with the iPad Pro 12.9 sitting on a desk and not held seeing the issue here. I believe it is related to the pencil as while the issue was occurring with an APP I took the pencil out of BT range and the problem went away.

Returning the pencil caused a recurrence of the issue. This was done without removing focus from the app in question.

The pencil always worked on the screen when fingers did not.

‘Forgetting’ the Bluetooth connection to the pencil also seemed to clear it up.

Chris, I have the same problem with mine. If anything else is touching the screen it is unresponsive. I’ve also found the same thing to be true with my iPhone 7 and my iPhone 7 Plus. Had the same problem with iPhone 6 and my iPhone 6 Plus, the 5 and the 5S. The last problem free iPhone were my iPhone 4’s. My first generation Retina display iPad never had any problems, still doesn’t. The quality of Apple devices and assessories are for s**t. My iPad Pro worked fine until recently. Don’t know if it started with the iOS 11 software. I noticed the keys “sticking” when I was typing. Then it became unresponsive when I tapped on app icons. When are they releasing the next generation of iPads? If anyone knows or has heard any rumors.

I had a similar though that I might have been holding some fingers too close to the screen. Now I type very deliberately with only one fingers and I still get the non-appearing characters. I have to do a hard restart every 15-60 minutes, problems start emerging again after 10-15 minutes. Very frustrating. I’m looking for a different tabeteasei’s s fustrtg. That last piece was he iPads version of tablet because it’s so frustrating. Typed with onefinger very slowly to make sure every key is pressed. Bye, have to restart again ....

I tried all solutions in this thread - nothing helped.

After that I realized on my side the problem is connected to the Smart Cover. When I connect Smart Cover I have all sorts of problems with unresponsive touch. When I disconnect Smart Cover it works just fine!

@JohnC, I also have noticed that it seems to be triggered often when connecting or disconnecting the smart cover. Unfortunately, that doesn't seem to be the only thing triggering it and, for me, reversing the connection doesn't seem to undo it. The only thing that seems to fix it for me is a hard restart—and sometimes I have to hard restart it a dozen times in a row before the iPad will sense my touches again.

In my case hard restart doesn’t help much. Have you tried disabling Bluetooth and Apple Pencil? I think that also helps.

Try turning off Bluetooth.

Tried turning off Bluetooth ironically the switch was on a dead spot so I had to rotate the screen to find a live spot to turn it off. It didn’t work. Thanks for suggesting it but it boils down to shoddy products at this point.

I tried everything.

Finally helped: fully reset an NOT restore from backup.

So it seems to be a software problem.

gl!

unfortunately for my case it isn't.

Mr.Hymn - did you re-insall all the app one by one from the app store and similar with all the media? this fixed my issue finally

Resetting to Factory settings seems to have been helped me!

I’m sorry, but don’t be too happy.. I did that and after 3 months everything is back

Yes, but this shows that it's certainly NOT a hardware related issue so trading your perfectly fine iPad with some refurbished one (that you don't know what it's been through) is not the best idea. Apple should find a permanent fix for this as it seems to be software related. Like I said in other comments my iPad is virtually brand new (just a month+ old) and the problem appeared a little after a month with no physical occurrences that would justify this malfunction.

I have the same issue with my 12.9 2018 ipad pro. It is definable a hardware issue! As when i keep the ipad by two hands it is not responsive to the touch on the center sometimes, but when I put the ipad on the table it works just fine!

So, it is the hardware, i.e. screen problem issue and we should hold Apple responsible and liable for the defective hardware... My wife have another ipad pro 12.9 2016 and it never had any problem whatsoever with screen, even though it had been updated with all the new updates!

We should put our hands together and make a very firm objections to Apple and if they don’t take it seriously, we should file a “class action” lawsuit for this hardware issue and have Apple to replace their faulty screen. We paid a lot of money for this crap and deserve to have a decent product!

Have the exact sme problem with my 1st genration iPad Pro right now whle typing tis comment. Every odd letter is not coming through because of an unresonsive screen. Very annoying. Have tried all mentioned solutions. Disconnecd my Apple Pencil, removed all widgets, am typing tis without Apple’s Smart Cover, and I reinstalled iOS clean. And no, I havet dropped the iAd evr. This respnse has been typed on my iPad in one go. I did have to add some lettrs aftewards assome words were undecipherable du to letters and spaces not working. Crazy thing is there are moments when the screen works great and other mments where it’s just unworkable.

This precisely describes what my keyboard and touch screen do. It's worse with s, t, a, r, and especially e. It probably has to do with letter frquency in the language, BUT IT'S INFURIATING!!!

Sorry to hear you have the same problems Maidel. Let’s hope Apple acknowledges the problem soon and come up with a solution.

iOS 12.0 hasn’t fixed it for me unfortunately.

It seems that the keyboard registration / scanning is displaced from .5 to two inches sometimes. One time, I pressed the “i” button by a “-“ was typed, a full two inches off.

Other times, it totally ignores my input. For example, I typed “hoagie” and “agie” was displayed. This is an egregious issue for Apple to solve.

I am seriously looking into the Surface Pro.

It clicks, but no caracter is typed.

Audible cliks are enabled. I type a character, heard a click, but no character was displayed.

I believe this is due to a registration error where the keyboard thinks I typed in the middle of two characters as opposed to the center one character. Apple should have a keyboard calibration app / utility to fix this problem

Exactly. I am almost smashing iPad so many times because of that

I did posted on Apple community and not enough detail but visit Apple shop.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/810...

i think apple is having issues with pencil / palm rejection and making the touch screen work. This would be an issue for users that takes lots of notes, going between apps with pencil and touch but they probably haven't taken on board since most people probably don't use pencil all day long like I do . Not sure what can be done-hoping it will resolve with update

Now I see what exactly is the main issue of this. Just simply rotate the iPad from either horizontal to portrait or portrait to horizontal and I will be able to tap again but after a few updates, I got less issue of this.

If you're having this issue, you should try to use iTunes on your Mac or PC to backup and restore your iOS software to factory settings, as this process erases the information and settings on your device and installs a fresh copy of the latest iOS software. Temporarily setup your iPad Pro as new to test your issues, and then restore your backup and test the issues again. this worked for me

followed same steps after 3 days of this that and the other.... still having issues. Only works 100% with apple pencil, the touchscreen with hand is hit or miss and usually miss.

This does not fix the problem for me.

That is just a delay tactic that Apple uses: Backup and reload only makes you talk to another Apple representative. This is a digitizer hardware / software issue, not a software configuration defect.

I don't know what to say about it but I tried so many ways to end this problem but it won't and I'm not sure if new iPad 2018 and new iOS would work, I do not dare to update the iOS as I am afraid of increase the issues that I already have.

1) Software issue >> Could be iOS but never see a problem in iOS 9

2) Hardware issue >> I smashed the iPad with anger and get a new one and still have a problem???

3) Rotate the screen >> helped from time to time but not every time

3.5) Restart the iPad or Turn off the screen and turn it back on >> helped from time to time but not every time

4) Turn off Bluetooth >> tried and still not working

5) App issues >> it is happening to all apps so not the app issues for sure

6) Backup and restore >> tried and still the same

Best solution I have is to place iPad nearly flat or flat on a table and 90 degree vertical which usually will 100% working all the time without any problems.

So I think I mostly fixed this on my side. Previously I wrote that removing Smart Cover worked but I still was experiencing unresponsive moments. And it was getting worse with time. There’s almost no issues after I did the following:

1) Updated to iOS 11.3.1 - that helped a bit. Apple wrote it fixes an issue with the screen, maybe it improves iPad behavior as well. I’m not sure but my impression it does help.

2) Removed Facebook app (it helped with battery life at least)

3) Went to Background App Refresh and disabled almost all applications in there. I think disabling everything helps a lot! But I need at least Mail and a couple of others.

Using this config second day in a row and there are still random unresponsive moments but only a few of them. I have Bluetooth enabled, Apple Pencil connected and Smart Cover as well.

My iPad is still under warranty, I’ll wait more to see if it’s a software issue in the end and if it gets worse will go to Apple Service. It was a very annoying experience lasting three months.

my latest theory is the internet connection issue.

my internet was having issues and the screen freeze came back.

I reset all the network settings on my ipad (under settings - reset - networksettings. ) and this is working agains so far.

If you have a website that is having log in issues, etc.. it will continuously try to connect to back up to cloud, etc... so basically apple made this thing that needs to be on perfect internet all the time. .. cart before the horse.

My new Ipad Pro from few months ago has remained problem free after fresh installation (not from back up.)

Previous new ipad pro was installed from backup. This time, I re-installed all the apps by hand, my media (music and pictures) transferred directly from the replaced Ipad, and other media from drive, cloud, etc.

This was MAJOR pain in the ass, but my Ipad Pro has remained freeze free for now. It might be that installing complete icloud backup has bugs in it or tries to install apps that no longer exits, work, or buggy.

It DID force me to clean up everything on my Ipad Pro. Hope everyone’s screen freeze issues resolves soon - it’s horrible.

Since, I had my Smart Keyboard replaced as well - it completely stopped working. It seems the connecting fabric conducting material within the keyboards get worn. :( Sad for such an expensive item, but at least they replaced it.. it should be made to last for few years at least .

Okey, seems on my end it was a hardware issue (I tried hardware reset, disabling iPad features, removing apps - nothing helped. It looked like it helped but then touch delays were getting back). Apple replaced the iPad and all my problems went away.

Hi, all. iPad Pro 12.9 512 WiFi 2017 with Apple Pencil.

I’ve come here for an answer but of course didn’t found it. But then after furiously ripping off my matte screen protector (then regret it because I love drawing with that applied), restart (which didn’t do it either), this what worked for me:

- turn off Bluetooth. iPad will notify that your Bluetooth peripheral will reconnect after 24hours

- long press reboot

- after login try gestures. All seemed worked fine

- turn on Bluetooth. Plugged my Apple Pencil to reconnect

- voila. Worked just flawlessly like before. Hope this helps.

Now I’ll have to get replacement for my screen protector (sigh)

My keyboard doesn’t respond on my 12” iPad Pro when anything is touching the screen edges. I rest it on my stomach while watching tv, and if the edges touch my T-shirt, the keys don’t respond. If nothing is touching, it works fine.

This is what happens to me too! I am glad I’m not the only one who thought of this as a possible issue. It seems strange but it is very likely a possible explanation.

I had the same problem with unresponsive screen, tried everything from settings to restoring and it didn't work. What finally helped was taking off the back cover I had on it (not the smart cover) - maybe it relieved some pressure or something?

Me too, not responding from time to time, I appreciated Apple by the past because of good réponse but now it is a mess

As I said previously, I removed my iPad cover from my 12.9 iPad Pro and it’s been working almost perfectly since I did that several weeks ago. I still have my screen protector on it. Interestingly, my daughter’s iPhone 8 Plus started freezing up completely. She too removed the otter box cover she had it in and it seems to have solved her problem as well. I think there’s something about covers and screen freezes. Maybe it puts slight pressure on a certain part of the screen and makes them freeze. It, it’s pretty amazing the number of people with this problem and iPad Pro and the different solutions they’ve found to fix the problem. It’s a little bizarre.

I removed my magnetic cover. It did not help.

Cross your fingers, but I downloaded the new IOS 12.0 update a couple hours ago and POOF, all my issues with missed or double-tapped characters seem to have disappeared! I can type, swipe and tap to my hearts content, and (so far) everything is exactly as it should be! So I guess the hardware/software question is answered! I was prepared to eBay my iPad Pro 12.9 in, 2nd edition, and pay up for a new one (which DIDN’T get released last week

I wish to have that. Mine still appear but a lot lesser and better.

iOS 12 seems to have helped for me. I updated directly from the device and then I also performed an “erase all content and settings”. I have also removed my screen protector and now use a soft plastic case instead of the hard plastic/magnetic cover case I was previously using.

So far everything seems to be good. I am enjoying iOS 12 and the freezing hasn’t been happening as often. I’m not sure if I’m just getting use to the freezing, thus less frustrated when it occurs. Though up until this point, all has been well.

Only time will tell.

I did and helps a little bit.... the touchscreen freezing still frustrating to me

My iPad Pro 12.9 was spastically unresponsive to touches on the screen when I typed on the keyboard. Some times I would continually tap on one or two keys and nothing! I took off my case and no issues. I got to thinking and realized that I had the case folded up so the magnetic cover that turns the iPad on when I opened and closed it was on the back of the iPad. I decided to try turning that function off and it worked! No issues!!I turned off Lock/Unlock feature under settings/display brightness for the iPad cover and now no issues. Don’t get rid if your case or cover, just turn that feature off. Hope that helps ;)

Let me try please. Only time will tell since it's only from time to time and randomly.

Dang... it doesn't work... I might have to try remove the case out.

Anyone tried to restore to factory settings or DFU mode and then use iTunes to do the upgrade/restore?

although it could be hardware issue, I worried if that’s software side since there are reported fixes.

Remember, latest iTunes with DFU/new ipad mode, do not restore backup, set up as new ipad.

with my last iPad Pro the faulty one, I upgraded to iOS 12.1 beta, and only YouTube would freeze, with handful times of unresponsive for half second each time. I still decided to replace it but that could be a sign indicating this is a software issue.

i did use iTunes + downloaded firmware and restored within DFU mode. So if you happen to see this post and want to give it a try, please spend a few minutes to reply this post and post your results so more could be beneficial from your experience.

thanks.

I did, It doesn't work....

I believe it's both software and hardware. Because when this problem occur. tap sleep and wake or lock/unlock button again and problems gone. It is only helps for a few minutes or maybe totally gone for that day I can't tell specifically.

But try to bending the iPad a little also help too.

Spin or rotate or change the iPad rotation or angle also help...

But inside function like bluetooth, auto lock/unlock when cover is closed/opened doesn't work for me. Even turn off multi-gestures.

Do you have this problem? You might need to set background as dynamic and use something easily to notice when problem occurs.

So glad to see the same issue reported here. It feels like proof it’s not user error. I took my iPad to Apple and their reply is that there’s nothing wrong. However, their test was placing it flat on the table and touching several keys. Of course the issue didn’t present but from reading the posts, I too have noticed that it acts up while holding it or at other angles. Only way to fix key lock is move pad back and forth like a reload to a shotgun. It lasts about 3 minutes and problems start again. I’m going back to Apple with this, by armed with a video I took of me attempting to use iPad and screen failing consistently.

Yes and that is exactly my case. I can't film the exact problem to show to apple shop. But I will try to make it work.

There are something wrong with iPad rotation because my background if red with only apple logo, while problem occurs, The Apple logo will shake like do drugs.

Happens to me too, when my iPad is in either landscape or,portrait, Bluetooth turned off, also removed all widgets, also did fresh install as new iPad, also doesn’t matter if it’s on its dock (so not holding, iPad is not moving (unless you count a slight table wobble when I touch iPad), something I notice whilst drilling up and down on this web page is I can make it freeze by raking my finger off the screen momentarily and then carry on scrolling up and down, freeze happens almost ever time if I take my finger off and carry on moving finger up and and down (without taking finger off), So does anyone know why that taking finger off for a tiny moment would make it freeze? Hardware? Or software? I’m thinking hardware reading everyone’s comments.

I don’t think it’s Apple Pencil though, as I don’t have a pencil, and Bluetooth is turned off anyway.

My cover isn’t a Smart Cover, although it does have that magnet that turns off the screen when you close the cover, but I’ve tried raking it out of the cover and still happens, so many red herrings on this web page, no offence, Apple are clearly aware, with so many users affected, I for one am going to be a lot more vocal about this in the run up to Xmas because people need to know the product is faulty, when they make one that works they can give me a replacement!

嘿兄弟,我想你可以去这个网站,他一定会帮到你。

same problem with my 2 yr old 12.9” iPad Pro. Shame on Apple.

My case exactly that. Apple did not giving me any choices but to buy a new one. Not the answer Im expecting to hear.

Mine is a 2nd gen, and my problem is probably linked to the apple pencil, when I disconnect it completely(unpair) or just let the battery run flat the problem seems to go away, or at least a lot less.

Another thing is that when it happens mine canbe fixed just by turing off the screen with the power button and unlocking it again which takes only about 1 sec..

Of course it’s really annoying but the fact that it can just be fixed by turing off and on the screen fixes this leads me to believe that it’s a minor sensivity/electric charge problem ''and not the flex that’s causing it…

btw my mom bent her 1 inch up (screen side) by where the volume buttons are and it doesn’t have any problems so…

I really have no idea…

Edit: also try taking your case off, some case just bend your iPad too much until it doesn’t work, I did that a while ago and it worked for a month, now I don’t know what’s going on anymore.

Yep, I did bend iPad a bit and it works normally. Apple Pencil also one of problem

Hey all, I had very similar issues with my 12.9 ipad pro (purchased in mid 2018) and was about to return it. However, I realized the issues began on a day with exceptionally high air humidity. I suspect that some moisture has condensated in the ipad rendering the capacitative screen unresponsive from time to time.

leaving the ipad over night on a heater in a sealed container with silica gel fixed it for me!

Service shop also not going to help me with this issue but rather say it is a good use and should buying a new one. At that time I was mad about the answer and give up on fixing it. Anyway yesterday as I watched Apple event live I saw a new iPad Pro and I will give it a try, better than getting mad and smash the iPad for a second time. Return the old iPad, exchange for some cash and buy a new one.

Apple sucks, mine is the same way. I think apple does this on purpose so you buy the new ounce coming out. It’s in the updates

Exactly. I am about to buy a new one that coming in a few weeks. The New iPad Pro will be available in my country in December.

I’ve had the same issue from the beginning, since buying my IPad Pro 12.9” 2nd Generation. Also have the 1st gen, and it doesn’t have this issue. While still unresolved, Apple Support has finally admit that this is a known software issue, and said they would try to resolve via this latest (12.1) iOS update.

History:

• I tried to live with it for the first view months, but gave up and called Apple Support (iPad on AppleCare)
  • Went through ALL steps (reboot, factory reset, etc) but problem persisted.
  • After a week and number of calls, Apple offered to replace, since they “couldn’t reproduce, and didn’t see any other reports of this”… (right…).
  • Receieved new iPad week after, and WHILE setting it up, there was the same touch issue
  • Got sick, and couldn’t follow up for a couple months. Finally opened new ticket / added to old ticket.
  • Based on experience, I insisted that it’s a software issue, and asked for Support to connect to my iPad, so that they could initiate a Log transfer, which they did, and explained exactly at what time this freeze occurred
  • Took a few weeks, but Support finally called back, and said the Engineering was able to see an issue in the logs, and confirmed it was a SOFTWARE (iOS) issue. They added it to their bug tracker, and said they would try to resolve by the next major update
  • After the iOS 12.1 update this week, it is STILL happening.
  • Called Support again, and insist that they try to do SOMETHING, as I still haven’t had a working / reliable iPad Pro since purchase, and cannot rely on their product in a pro environment (eg: use it to drive a keynote, meeting, demo, etc).

Waiting to hear back. They would also like me to reinstall the latest iOS directly in iTunes, instead of over the air (wifi). Not sure why this would matter, but too tired of this, so will wait for a bit.

Has anyone who had this issue, seen it resolved after a clean 12.1 update?

-Ira S

No! I tried everything. iOS13 still not fixing a problem but all I know is iOS9 is best. Clean installed, not working. Turn the Bluetooth off, nope. Removed the Apple Pencil, also no.

Lastly I bend my iPad Pro a bit out of anger and problem solved.

Anyway it’s too late cuz I will get a new iPad Pro .

I have been suffering with this issue for months now. I’ve had my suspicions that it is a software issue but the problem started occurring for me at a random point after having iOS 12 installed for months. The responsiveness of the touchscreen has gradually dropped over time, while the Pencil continued to work perfectly. Eventually I started getting skipped keys while typing, scrolling would pause mid-scroll, but the Home button and rotate always worked perfectly. It was driving me crazy, I was paranoid that my fingers were too dry, the surface coating was deteriorating, my fingerprints were causing detection issues on the huge display, and thought perhaps my screen protector was causing the issue. I noticed that the condition improved somewhat when I removed the iPad from its leather case. This indicated to me that the problem lies in the capacitive touch part of the display.

TL:DR, I was able to fix my iPad 12.9” Pro by measuring the flatness of the screen and gently flexing it back into shape. Even a tiny amount of flex can cause the touchscreen to stop working correctly.

To do this fix yourself, you need a precise flat edge tool. I recommend getting a machinist or carpenter square that has a sharp edge, like this one: https://www.amazon.com/Tools-Combination...

Once you have a nice flat edge, hold it against your screen at vertical, horizontal, and diagonal left/right. If your issue is caused by screen flex, you will see the screen fail to touch the edge of your measuring tool. You need to flex the iPad until the screen is in full contact with the straightedge from every angle, more or less. Just be very very careful not to over-flex the iPad, it’s full of sensitive electronics and dangerous lithium ion batteries :) I didn’t flex it more than maybe 1/2” deviation total, and that was enough to make my iPad flat again. My iPad was maybe only 1-1.5mm deviated from flat, and it was enough to cause tons of issues. I’d say that’s an issue with the design.

I finally got frustrated enough and did this fix today, my iPad suddenly became as responsive as it was on day 1, no reboot necessary!

Exactly as my case. But I don't think I can fix it on my own. Already gave up and repair will cost me half of the 2nd hand good iPad Pro gen 2 (I have Gen1)

I am about looking forward to new iPad Pro 2018 but still waiting for people to show serious problems.

Mr. Hymn will be eternally grateful.