Phone will not go to LTE and is stuck in 3G

My wife and daughter took their iPhone 6S Plus over to Japan for vacation and purchased a Japanese SIM card. When they returned home, their phones were stuck in 3G. I have done a complete factory reset 3 times as per the Verizon rep which did not make a difference. Apple was brought into the trouble shooting and was on a 3 way call with Verizon. Apple ran several tests which proved the phone to be working and that it was a carrier issue. Verizon has passed me along to all their tier support levels and I am not waiting for an Engineer to call me and work this out. I have been waiting nearly 5 days. Has anyone ever experienced this? I have located several things on the web but it's all the things I have already tried and nothing works. Verizon even sent me 2 new SIM cards to try and that did not work either.

I have known in some instances of once a SIM card is inserted into a phone, it literally locks that phone to that service. Have you contacted that sim carrier by chance and see if they have a 3g lock on the phone now?

It is fixed. So here is what happened. My wife and kids traveled international for the summer. They purchased 2 SIM cards so they could use their phones overseas. When they returned, they reinstalled their US SIM cards but the phone was stuck in 3G. After 1 week on the phone with Apple and Verizon, we/I solved the issue about 5 minutes ago. It appears the iPhones we still seeing the Japanese cellular service (it also appears they installed software). I went into General and towards the bottom where you see iTunes Wi-Fi Sync and VPN...they had another title in there which was the Japanese cellular service. I clicked it and then clicked remove profile. Within 5 minutes...LTE reappeared at the top of the phone. Both phones are now working properly.

That is great!

Ronald Mountin will be eternally grateful.