Repair guides and support for your Samsung TV.

Top half of screen darkened

My HD75 - UN75F7100 top half of my screen has begun to darken.. I have uploaded/updated software and did a complete reset... but still the upper half of the screen has this darkened area completely across the top and approximately 1/3 to 1/2 of the screen... serial number is Z7MS3CADA01667D

This is what screen looks like

Is it a darker area, or is there a thick black bar at the top of the display?

There is a black bar that I can see through but causing the top half of the screen to be darker than the bottom half..

Called Samsung and they ran diagnostics remotely and said it was not software issues, but hardware... talked with the electronic service rep and he believes it's the screen and it would be close to $2000 to have it fixed..

So what do you think is it hardware/screen or ?

Thanks... after talking with a company service tech... he basically said the same thing... and me not being someone who wants to tackle something of this nature on my own.. and his

statement that I would have to replace the LCD panel and that cost being close to what a new one would be... we decided to go with a new one. But I totally appreciate the replies... and you have been very helpful.... one final question.. I have purchased a Samsung 8000 QLED series but besides the 1 year factory warranty, can any other factory service agreements be purchased from Samsung?

Again thanks

Back to the un75F7100 same problem with mine and its only 2 yrs old, I purchased an extended warranty from Frys and gonna check with them this week about having it fixed hopefully they will honor the 4 year extented warranty. If you are interested to know what happens post a comment and i will follow up Thanks

Im having the same issue as well, did you ever solve the problem, It happened out of nowhere and I figured it was just the darkness from switching the TV input as the HDMI selections show up in that exact portion of the TV but one day it never went away, I didmt do any software updates, because truthfully I didn't know you could haha but I also assumed its the screen, which if thats the case I'll buy a new TV....It'll be %#*@ hard to throw this one away tho : (

I had this problem too... and fixed it in about 10 min. I searched the internet for this problem and found many forums with pretty much the same resolution... REPLACE TV. I find it interesting that in almost every single case I read over the last 24 hours... no one... absolutely no one recommended a simple Problem Determination (PD) procedure to quickly determine if the issue was in the TV or outside the TV.

Supposedly people spoke to techs on the phone, which in most cases are reading from a tech manual... or try to dial in and update TV firmware remotely... what I didn't see or read is where someone actually had a repairman look at it.. or did actual PD to eliminate issues with cables or devices connected to the TV.

My Curved Samsung UN55JU6700 among several other devices... is connected to an Xfinity HDR and through HDMI cables. So.... the first thing I wanted to do was to see if the problem went away if I changed channels... it did not. Then, would the issue move when using another HDMI source...

I turned on my APPLE TV and switched to that as the source. I immediately noticed that the issue appeared to go away... so for grins, I tried my DVD player... and still the problem did not return...

Now I know its either the HDMI cable feeding the signal or the xFinity box itself... so I tried a different cable and the problem did NOT go away this time... Now I'm highly suspecting the Xfinity DVR device. I powered off the HDR but the problem still remained ... No I'm thinking Im going to have to spend an hour on the phone with a tech that knows less then I do... or spend an hour or two at the Comcast store waiting for a replacement DVR. SO BEFORE I did that, I tried one last PD step ... I decided to UNPLUG the DVR and let it do a complete POWER ON RESET ... in case something got hosed during the last firmware update.... 10 minutes later... my SAMSUNG is working flawlessly once again. DONE, FIXED (at least in my case).

So ... if your having this issue... BEFORE panicking from all these doomsayers on the net... that in many cases sell or repair TV ... try some simple PD ... hopefully you'll be lucky like I was.

Good day, Ray.

I'd like to ask you because you seem to have the most experience in these kind of things, but I have faced your problem and the repair guys are asking quite a lot from us. I followed your steps, but the problem persisted. What do I do now?

worked great. It was cable signal. thank you

You have saved me so much money , time and aggravation.

Thank you Tony for the cable box reboot fix...it worked

Oh my gosh! I turned off my Xfinity router, and when unplugging it, noticed it was very hot. But I turned on my LG led tv without using the router, and used my Netflix app instead, the dark bar at the top had just gone away!

SAME thing just happened with our 4 yr old Panasonic TV-rebooted the Xfinity box and the dark area is gone! Thanks

For my TV it turned out to be the cablebox . I ran a picture test with the tech. , and the picture was fine. I rebooted the cable box and it went away!

I reset my cable box and it went away. Yay!

Tony Sinclair that looks more like a bad LED backlight strip. For that you will have to disassemble your TV and the LCD panel. Not a fun thing to do but possible. Of curse you do want to check all the wiring specifically the wiring on the power board. Post some images of your boards and the data label on your LCD panel. Post those with your question. Here is the guide for that Adding images to an existing question It will let us see what you see.

Be sure to scroll down this string. If you have Xfinity boxes through Comcast, there's a good chance all you have to do is push the reset button on your cable box. After running through all the reset options for the TV and its various display settings, I read Ray Negron's post. He suggeste a VERY simple fix that worked great for me. Just hold the reset button on your Xfinity box until the blue power light goes off. Wait 20 seconds and repower the device by pressing the reset button again. Shadow across top of set disappears.

Jim my TV turned black at the top. I have Xfinity from Comcast. I pushed blue button and let it alone for 20 seconds. It worked, thanks for the tip.

Interesting answers! Have a bit of experience here. Mostly giving smacks to rear of TV thus suggesting loose connections. My favourite fix is simply to remove base and place flat in back of car (having station wagon or similar helps). Drive around for a few days, preferably over bumpy roads, then plug in and see what happens. Worked for me on several occasions without major effort.

I unplugged everything.... cable box, HDMI cable, TV & even my modem/router.... waited 10 minutes then powered back on & haven't had the trouble since.

Unplug everything associated with your tv. Wait a minute, then reconnect things. Problem solved with my Samsung 4K.

Tech repaired Samsung Smart TV this week for powering off issue. Regarding the shadow on the top 1/4 of the screen, he agreed with the source of the problem being the Xfinity HD box. This because the shadow does NOT appear when streaming (e.g. Netflix; Amazon, etc.) OR a DVD from the Blu-ray. He suggested requesting a new box. (But I won't since I"m ditching Xfinity and going to YouTube TV)

Had a darker band on top of our LED HDTV Vizio 60”. Shut power down to TV, DVR and Xfinity Modem. Held power buttons on each to discharge and then powered up router. Once router fully up, I then powered up DVR and restarted TV. Dark band is gone. Why? I dont know but beats buying a TV !! Thanks for the tip!!!!!!

Tony Sinclair will be eternally grateful.