The March 2015 update of Apple's 13" MacBook Pro Retina Display, model A1502, features fifth-generation Intel Core i5 and i7 processors and introduces the Force Touch trackpad.

will an M.2 work in a Mac

will the M.2 version of the samsung 850 evo work in the MacBook Pro

And will the M.2 version of the samsung 850 evo work in the macbook pro early 2015 with an adaptor for the propietary connector? I mean, can the macbook pro early 2015 boot from a sata drive?

I forgot to comment about the OWC option. They are meant to be compatible and work perfectly on a Macbook. However, as far as I know they are not OPAL compliant in order to encrypt the ssd.

Here's a good write-up on OPAL: The Pros and Cons of Opal Compliant Drives

Apple currently offers self-encrypting drives (SED) as well as folders within the OS natively via FileVault services. Use FileVault to encrypt the startup disk on your Mac. I might add High Sierra will be doing this natively with the new APFS. Heres a bit more: Wikipedia - Apple File System APFS

As far as OWC Aura SSD support for FileVault here is what they say: OWC Enclosures, Drive Docks, & SSDs: FileVault and BitLocker Support (2017)

We don't use Apple's FileVault services or any other full drive encryption service as its too hard to recover data. Instead we use encryption keys (USB) and discreet file/folder encryption.

Apple uses a PCIe x2 SSD using NVMe. The Samsung 850 EVO is a M.2 SATA SSD drive and will not work in a NVMe based system.

You would need a Samsung 960 EVO which offers the needed NVMe interface. But, we still have a problem! As Apple's NVMe OS driver only supports their SSD.

Now the rub! In the Beta copy of MacOS High Sierra people have reported the new NVMe driver now allows 3rd party NVMe drives to work!

I my self have not tested this and Apple could pull support in the final released version of High Sierra so I wouldn't tempt fate here until the OS is officially released this fall. Lets see if the support is still present then.

Here's a good chart explaining the architecture of SATA Express & M.2

Confused! It's a mess! SATA Express was stillborn while you'll find logic boards with it very few drives offer it. M.2 is a different interface but leveraged the same architecture of SATAe just in a different connector.

IEEE did a better job within Ethernet's different PHY's. While it makes sense to have a common physical interface (M.2) and then use keys to define what the interface can support (device wise). This scheme is a failure! As the hardware & OS folks don't abide by the rules and oddball makers of adapters confuse have confused things even more.

Mmm... As far as I know the macbook pro early 2015 brings an ssd which is PCIe as you have just correctly said, but it is AHCI rather than NVMe. So no NVMe ssd disk has been proven to work on this system. It is true that the High Sierra beta is able to recognize NVMe out of the box but what is not clear enough is if the macbook can boot from it. That is why I was asking if the 850 evo would work, since it is SATA and I do not know if this macbook can boot from an internal SATA drive.

Ah... if it where so simple! ;-{

Reference: MacBook Pro 13" 3.1 GHz i7 (Early 2015) "Proprietary* (PCIe 2.0 x4)" and the MacBook Pro 13" 2.8 GHz i7 (Late 2013) was the first with a PCIe "Proprietary* (PCIe 2.0 x2)" The older MacBook Pro 13" 3.0 GHz i7 (Early 2013) Which used SATA (AHCI) "Proprietary* (6 Gb/s)"

The problem here is Apple has altered the design of their systems enough that some will work and others not using the M.2 adapter running with the SATA (AHCI) SSD's.

We ran three different series and found only the older SATA based system was reliable using an adapter with an M.2 SSD. We did note the 2013/14 PCIe x2 models did work with the same SSD but if was not reliable when stressed. It might be an issue with the quality of the adapter which also has a bearing here as well.

I would focus on using the OWC drives as they have done the QC on their product than trying to get these adapters with an M.2 drive to work.

Oh! Thank you for such high valuable information. So from your answers I can guess that a sata m.2 drive will work on the MacBook Pro 13" 3.1 GHz i7 (Early 2015) along with the adaptor even for booting, but it will not be reliable. Since it seems you have made several experiments, have you tried to boot MAC OS high sierra beta from an NVMe drive in the MacBook Pro 13" 3.1 GHz i7 (Early 2015) or in any that could give us some information.

At the time of our testing we where using Yosemite and also tried using a beta of Sierra. We have not revisited using M.2 drives as we decided to stick with Apple & OWC drives because of our testing. We don't see M.2 NVMe SSD's to be any different and more likely worse as there timing is even tighter (review the M.2 specs).

As far as High Sierra it offers by default a new low level file system (APFS). So things could get worse here. If I do any testing it will be with the last candidate or the finial version when it comes out this fall.

@oldturkey03 we are going to see a lot more of this question on different Macs so I changed the title to be more inclusive. Now I've lost the ability to move the former comments down to this answer. Seems like this change was made without really asking us @kaykay and I'm not a happy camper to lose that option. what am I supposed to do with "me too" answers now? These changes were made after the staff listened to a 14 year old and the change reflects that wisdom. How do I move the comments from above to this answer?

@mayer I hope I moved the right comment. We could never move a comment from one area to the next. The only way to do it is by making it an answer, then converting it to a comment to another answer. Is that the right comment that I moved?

@mayer luckily I've not had that issue. Like I said I go from comment to answer then to comment at proper answer. Somewhat cumbersome but it worked for me thus far....

@mayer no one informed me of any changes to the site, this might be a bug?

@kaykay Go to a "me too" answer and see what options you would like me to use.

Fabio will be eternally grateful.