Model A1238 / 80, 120, or 160 GB hard drive / black or silver metal front

843 Questions View all

My iPod got damage by rain

Hi ! I went hiking and a storm caught me by surprise. Every single thing I was carrying with me got wet, my Ipod too. I was listening to music while walking, but the coat and the bag cover I was using were not as waterproof as I thought they would be ...

So at first it was still playing music but I couldn't turn it off. So I let it dry in a bag of rice and eventually, it has run out of battery and stopped working. Since then, I haven't been able to switch it on again. My computer and iTunes do not detect it when it's plugged in. If I try to charge it, it says "Charging, please wait" but nothing happens and it switches off immediately after I unplugged it.

At this point, I just don't know where the problem is, could be anything but if you have an idea of what I could do to fix my iPod ... Please, help me !

Answered! View the answer I have this problem too

Is this a good question?

Score 0
Add a comment

1 Answer

Chosen Solution

Ahh, the famous rice myth once again...

The water is inside the iPod, on the logic board and under the shields, even under the IC's. The rice is nowhere near where the water is. So while it ‘’may’’ soak up some water vapour, the real problem is the mineral deposits that can cause short circuits or the corrosion that is taking place as the water evaporates. Leaving the power on the device accelerates the process. The longer you let a phone sit in rice, the more time you are giving corrosion to damage your logic board. The saltier or harder the water is, the more damage will occur. The water needs to be displaced, not heated and evaporated.

So here are some things you can try:

  • Open your device and remove the logic board (follow this guide)
  • Inspect the logic board, especially around the connectors and look for corrosion.
  • Inspect both sides of the board.
  • Put your board in a container with >90% isopropyl alcohol and let it sit for a while.
  • Use a soft brush, like a toothbrush and lightly brush away any corrosion you see.
  • Rinse in alcohol and repeat.
  • Let it air dry for a day.
  • Re-assemble and hope for the best.

You should also consider getting a new battery if it has swollen. Resist the temptation to pop it to let the gas out. A compromised Li-ion battery is a fire hazard.

A professional repair shop that does water damage repair may be able to recover your device because they have access to pro-level ultrasonic baths and specialized cleaners as well as the skills to troubleshoot your board. Many shops have a no fix/no fee policy so you don't have to spend money to find out if the device is fixable or not.

Was this answer helpful?

Score 4

Comments:

Thank you for your answer, I will do that and see if it's working !

by

Add a comment

Add your answer

Léa N. will be eternally grateful.
View Statistics:

Past 24 Hours: 0

Past 7 Days: 0

Past 30 Days: 3

All Time: 21