Released July 2016 as a budget smartphone, exclusively for Metro PCS, under model number Z981.

Getting a message Unfortunately Stock Android has stopped working

ZTE ZMax Pro z981

When I reboot my phone I will continuously get a message on my screen saying "Unfortunately Stock Android has stopped working". I have looked everywhere and spent a couple hours on the net looking for responses on how to fix this with no response... I also cannot get my phone to update using system update.. Any idea on how to fix this would be greatly appreciated..

I have reset to ' factory' and it is still happening..my phone acts crazy cause of this please any help is appreciated about to buy a new phone but I love this one!!

I have the same problem, and I have the same phone as you. The problem started when an update was installed. Not a good idea to update it seems. I hope someone can answer this question. I will check with ZTE and MetroPCS next. It is so annoying!

I am having the same problem as you, and I have the same phone as you. The problem started after a system update was installed. Very annoying. I will contact ZTE and/or MetroPCS if no one can answer our question.

I have reset, refreshed, and took the phone to metro headquarters and no one and nothing can fix this problem so live with it as I do or waste money in yet another phone that will most likely have some sort of other glitch...the new zte blade sucks too....the camera stops working on that one....all their phones suck

Problem solved....go to settings....go to apps....go to stock Android....go to notifications.....make sure all notification boxes are OFF....my phone has been perfect since doing this....if it happens again after a reboot then just do it again

New Battery = Faster iPhone
Fix Kits starting at $16.99

Most Helpful Answer

I have had the some error message and I went to my settings screen from there to the apps up to the 3dots show system down to Android stock data swap dates back to Android stock storage dump cache and the data this should reset you home screen

Hope this helps

JJ

By doing that, will I lose anything that I saved to my home screen or any apps from my phone?

Worked great! Thank you for the correct answer

Thanks for the help. It did stop that message from popping up. I couldn't even move from one thing to another because the message constantly popped up. I lost everything I saved on my home screen though. When I tried to put the things back on the home screen, the message popped up again. So now I can't save anything to my home screen but at least the message is gone.

Just an update...I found an app that will allow you to put websites on your home screen. It's working great. I can add websites to my home screen now through the app.

Could you clarify the directions to fix this problem? Your answer is all run together and I can't make sense of it. Sorry

go to settings/apps/stock android/turn on "block notifications".

seemed to work for me. the message doesn't seem to affect functionality of the phone

Thx, I didn't block entirely for starters , instead I disabled the peeking function....

Hello people !, I have an issue with my zte ,and that is when I'm using the phone and my battery low comes on I plug in the wall like everyone does .then I keep using the phone,all of sudden it pops up again now my battery is lower then it was , another problem is I put my phone on charge last night woke up and it was at 16% I said to myself that's bull#!?@ can anyone tell me how to fix it. Oh by the way this is my second phone my first one about 1 1/2 months ago my first phone did almost the same thing it just stopped charging .at least I had the warranty still in effect ,that's how I got this second one now almost the same I hope I made since to everyone thanks ,,,merry Christmas yall

Get a charger that has a 2 amp or higher rating...many aftermarket units don't have enough UMPPH to charge the larger, more capable smartphones !!!

Just had the same frustrating problem. Turns out the charging "cord" was kinked at one end or the other or both causing the wires inside to loosen or lose connection with each other.

Went to TMOBILE last night, replaced just the cord (not the square end with the USB port and plug) for $30, AND PROBLEM FIXED!!!

Just so u know, my original charger-cord did not look broken or kinked - T Mobile found the problem by testing my phone using a brand new cord, *but still inserting it into my original USB plug in piece that plugs into the wall - saving me money by not having to purchase both.

Hope this helps

Joe

OK so I have found a fix. Turn Power off, remove sim card and SD card (if present). Turn Power on and do a factory reset. Turn phone off after reset is done. Throw phone in the garbage and go buy another phone that isn't made by ZTE.

Lol. I agree. My first and last time I get a ZTE.

The max pro is a decent phone for the price. This coming from a most strictly Galaxy owner.

I have had mine over a year now and I absolutely love it. Switched from a Samsung. I still like Samsung too of course, but I have no issue with the ZTE

This is the worst phone I have ever owned. Besides this pop up message Everytime I am on a call all of the quick settings pop up and change all of my settings. It even dials another person when I am on another call. No one knows how to fix any of the stupid issues except I was told don't hold the phone to close to your face.... Really...who was the idiot who thought putting the sensor on the front of the phone. I am dumping this crappy phone and get a new one. Metros PCS tells me all the phones now have front drop down boxes, if that's the case on to a new carrier....

Okay I went and did what you said I blocked stock Android from saying These Warnings but it just came up again how can it do that if it's been blocked I am very computer illiterate and my phone always has the best of me I get confused really easy so make everything in layman's terms if you have any answers for me I'm too old to know this stuff but I'm willing to try anything at least once

Go to settings. Then apps. Stock mgr. Turn on retrict app background data.

Your welcome..

Is that the same as block all/never show notification from this app ?

Cause I already turned on restrict, don't work.

I have been having the same issue I found this and will try removing some of the most recent app installs and see how it goes from there.

https://forums.att.com/t5/AT-T-Phone-Equ...

It started again on my phone also.

I am also having this problem

I'm also having this issue.. And.. I purchased a new 64gb memory card leas than 2 months ago and my phone just corrupted it.. Lost everything on it.. Including some very special pics and videos of my grandbabies.... Not happy

I corrected this in my phone by going to apps then stock Android app. Click on storage and clear it completely. It will default your home screen shortcuts setup but the issue got resolved.

Has anyone tried off their fingerprint sensor? I've heard it can cause issues and you have to do a factory reset in order to load the correct file back into Android. I'm mad we never got 7.0 as promised, but that's a whole nother post by itself.

Yo I have the zte pro was messing with wallpapers etc and all sudden I had same issues.. what I did was just go into settings find the stock Android in apps go in it delete the data from it and restart phone and it hasn't been back

Hi I bought this phone 15 days ago ...it was working fine till first 10 days ...then one day suddenly it switched off automatically ...since then it's switching on and off continuously on it's own ...I am not able to do anything...please help

I reset the phone and then I installed Evie launcher. These issues seems to be caused by the home screen. I have not had any problems since. Take screenshots of your home screen and remake them in Evie. It happens to be a great launcher too.

I HAVE GREAT NEWS TO GIVE ALL OF US WHO HAVE BEEN GETTING THE STUPID MESSAGE "Unfortunately Stock Android has stopped working"

THERE'S FINALLY A "FIX" THAT I HAVE TESTED AND IT'S REALLY WORKING. I CAN'T TAKE ANY OF THE CREDIT FOR THIS FIX, IT WAS A POST ON HERE FROM (TED B) AND BELOW IS THE ACTUAL REPLY TED POSTED:

I reset the phone and then I installed Evie launcher. These issues seems to be caused by the home screen. I have not had any problems since. Take screenshots of your home screen and remake them in Evie. It happens to be a great launcher too. by Ted B

JUST BE SURE TO FOLLOW HIS INSTRUCTIONS CLOSELY ESPECIALLY THE PART: (Take screenshots of your home screen and remake them in Evie.)

EVERYONE IS GOING TO REALLY LIKE THIS AWESOME APP. I GUARANTEE THAT EVERYONE WILL GIVE THE EVIE LAUNCHER A 5 STAR REVIEW.

SORRY FOR SUCH A LONG POST,

I JUST WANTED TO BE SURE THAT EVERYONE UNDERSTOOD WHAT I WAS POSTING. I GET A EMAIL EVERYTIME PPL POST OR REPLY TO THIS SO IF ANYONE HAS ANY ISSUES OR PROBLEMS, JUST FEEL FREE TO REPLY TO MY POST HERE, I WILL GLADLY DO WHATEVER I CAN TO HELP YOU OUT.

I had this same problem. I took my phone to T-MOBILE and Steve fixed the problem. SMART GUY. Go to settings. Then select Apps. Then select Stock Android. Then there disable it by selecting STOP ANDROID, also block notifications. For me thanks to Steve at T-Mobile on US1 and Linton Blvd MY PHONE IS FIXED.

I hope it works for you we've all on here have tried that and within a day the message starts coming back.

If you do get the message back, just follow the previous message that I forwarded on here yesterday. So far I haven't had the message return. So, if it does start popping up again, feel free to reply to my comment and I will walk you through the procedure. It only takes like 10 minutes or so to download and give the application permission to be the new launcher.

But, I truly hope that the message doesn't return, we all know how annoying it is.

Thanks AnthonyxxKodixx sure nuff the message returned! I am going back to Samsung!!!!

So Valerie in Delray....they had to replace stock android with something else. What was it? You need an OS ,launcher etc.

How to fix the stop android message

ZTE HAS O/S PROBLEMS__ METRO PCS will not help,,!!

Go to settings.....go to apps.....go to stock Android....go to notifications....make sure every box for every kind of notification is OFF....my phone is working like a charm since I did this....enjoy.....DO NOT clear the cache....you will lose all your shortcuts and it's totally unnecessary :)

Go to SETTINGS

APPS

CHECK NOTIFICATIONS OFF

It worked for my phone.

Somebody told me that it was because the wise men broken down in his wall charger could be depending upon how he may have folding it up he says never had a kink in it okay I had one short in the wall thankfully we got it quick. Because when I am on my phone which is a SAMSUNG PRO 9 ZTE OR SOMETHING LIKE THAT. Anyway it comes across the screen not one is plugged in but when it's your operating it when talking on the phone. Sounds to me like there's something going wrong inside the phone I need to bring it up to the corporate store and find out what's going on somebody out there outside of buying a new card whatever information on that I greatly appreciate.

Hi Pauline,

My ZMAX Pro was driving me crazy doing the same thing. I took it in to the Metro PCS store (where I bought it), and they couldn't fix it. Frustrated, I started scanning forums online. I got a lot of ideas regarding the cause of the problem, and after a short time messing with my settings, I was successful! The message has not come up at all since I did this. Open up Settings on your phone, scroll down to Apps, and open up your phone's apps. Then scroll down to Stock Android and tap it to open. Go down the list to Notifications, and tap to open. Switch all 4 switches to the off position (switch position to left). Back out to home screen. Press power button and select Reboot.

Pauline Wright will be eternally grateful.