Samsung's newest flagship phone, the Galaxy S8. Released in April 2017.

Phone screen won't stay off during call

When I use my new phone for calls, it always turns on and starts doing random things during the call. Have tried to adjust all kinds of sensitivity settings. Have only a slim case on it...no screen protector yet. Very frustrated. Thanks!!

Most Helpful Answer

I was having the same problem. My son and I got S8 phones at the same time, his worked mine didn't. I tested the sensor on my phone and it worked great. After reading more, I realized it might be my new phone case so I took it off. Guess what, phone works without the case. So, what's the problem, I was using a magnetic wallet case. The magnet was interfering with proper functioning. I'm bummed too because I really like this case.

This is exactly my problem. I like my case, but the magnet seems to be the issue. :(

Turning on Smary Stay doesn't make it any better

This is a problem with the proximity sensor not recognizing your face being near it.

Do me a favor, and type *#0*# into the dial pad, and select Sensor

Run your hand across the top of the screen, and if the device turns green, and begins to vibrate, then your sensor is working fine, and there is a setting somewhere that is being missed.

if it does not, you have a failing sensor, and you need to repair it.

Better so take it back to Samsung for warranty.

this is true, but this is also a repair forum. so i assumed they wanted a diagnosis. the least helpful answers ive ever found on a forum is "take it somewhere," so i dont give that as an answer.

though i agree they should take it in for warranty, should there not be any signs of abuse to the device, and samsung will not honor the warrante if there is even a scratch on the display.

Mine does not have a case only a scratch guard still it doesnt work need help

found the issue and the solurikn guys!!!!

youll have to trun off the smart stay feature to stop this problem.....

Most likely the case. Take it out of the case and try it . If it works then it's your case. IF not take it back under 1 year manufactures warranty and let the company know it hasn't worked. They should replaced the phone.

Brooke Clinton will be eternally grateful.