Model A1286. Released February 2011 / 2.0, 2.2, or 2.3 GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7 Processor

Battery Hardware Error Code

Had an issue with my Macbook Pro as posted on another thread which has developed into another issue. Changed my keyboard which was a bad quality version and ended up pulling my battery whilst turned on (under load) and caused the battery to short. Mac wouldn't turn on but only in SMC bypass (holding power button and connecting charger) and only in safe mode (wouldn't fully boot in normal mode). X would display on battery icon top bar. Could not run hardware test as Mac would turn off at the beginning of test.

Replaced my battery but accidentally with an incorrect one which short my charger (o dear what you must be thinking). Brought a new charger from Apple and a cheap battery which got the Mac working to normal boot up, however noticed it would take more than a day to charge to 100% and would drain quickly. Did a hardware test which displayed the following error code -

4xxx/4/40000005: g "Battery"

So purchased a Newertec battery, now Mac turns on and loads up nicely, keyboard all working as replaced with good quality one. Now that I have a good quality battery, it drains as expected but still takes over a day to charge. I ran another hardware test which again produced a battery error code but with a slight difference.

4xxx/4/40000005: òboâ "Battery"

1 - Could anyone tell me what the 'g' and the 'òboâ' indicate and the difference, or is this not anything of any importance or is unknown?

2 - Any idea what the whole code may be indicating fault as (keeping in mind charger is new from Apple and battery is a new top brand from MegaMac).

3 - Also is there anyone who would think the long charging time is defiantly the DC in board?

Was going to test like below with volt meter, however was unsure if voltage test would miss another fault on DC in board -

(source from What's wrong with my logic board? )

Apart from the long charging time the MacBook Pro is running absolutely fine as normal.

Coconut Battery -

With Charger

Without Charger

Coconut Battery does at time show charger charging up towards 9-10 watts but this settles at 6 watts.

Any ideas?

Thank you in advance

Regards

I noticed something,

When disconnecting keyboard backlight the battery start charging normally. OMG can't believe it.

So fast charging or the keyboard backlight hmmmm.

I actually had the laptop just repaired as graphic chip needed repairing. But noticed they had not connected back the backlight. So check with and without backlight.

Will need to take it back to get them to sort it properly.

hope this helps those who do not want to spend on their Mac but want normal charging.

Hi Oros,

Thank you for your post, anyway to confirm the problem via a test?

Location of the chip please?

Kindest regards

Most Helpful Answer

I noticed something,

It should charge at least at 20W from what i've seen so far you have a problem with the charging circuit on your motherboard.

Since is still charging there is a low probability that the SMC is fried so the most probable cause of your issue is the Q7055 Gate that is not doing the right job or the U7000 but my bet is on the Q7055. (here I supposed that your motherboard number is 820 2915, they are almost the same all of the 15" from the same year)

You should look for a shop near you that is doing this type of micro soldering repairs.

Just to be sure, did you try a SMC Reset?

asr043 will be eternally grateful.