Wi-Fi only variant of the fifth generation of iPad, released in March 2017. Available with 32 and 128 GB storage options featuring a 9.7" Retina display and 64-bit A9 processor.

Replacing/Repairing Home Button and Cables for iPad 5

I'm trying to repair an iPad 5 (A1822) model and I need some help. The digitizer (glass) was damaged and removed from the body. Upon further inspection, the home button was damaged as well. Is there anyway to repair the home button on the current 2017 iPad and is their anyone that sells this part?

Home button will not work with iPad Air button. The digitizer will work. iPad A1822 home button is one of the worst design we have since Apple has been manufacturing iPads. The ribbon is glued against the glass and it is very easy to damage and tear during removal or if the glass has been broken around the home button and cut or damaged the ribbon.

As of right now, we have not seen anyone that sells the home button for iPad A1822.

Most Helpful Answer

I just answered this a few hours ago...

How can I swap out the home buttons with ipad air digitizer?

Hello @refectio is the button for the iPad 2017 and the Air 1 also interchangeable as I have seen mixed reports on this: http://ifixit.org/blog/8977/2017-ipad-pa...

A quick follow up to this - I ordered an iPad Air 1st generation (A1474) digitizer and button combination pack for this. Everything works except for the button. It appears that the syncing of the motherboard, the button and the ribbon disallows the button to communicate with the motherboard and the monitor. A $30 experiment here to see if this is the case or not. So, long story short, when doing this repair, make sure the button and the ribbon to the button are not damaged, or it will be impossible to repair at this point (until a 3rd party solution is created for the button on this model). This was not true with prior models so important to know when working on these machines.

Phil will be eternally grateful.