The HP Pavilion dv2000 Notebook PC is an entertainment based PC produced in 2007.

PLEASE HELP! Beeping and black screen when laptop turned on

OK, I've had this laptop (HP pavilion dv2000) for a while now, and I have no idea what happened. Recently, when I turn it on, all the lights turn on—but after around 5 seconds, it beeps loudly four times. Also, the screen is completely black—nothing pops up. The black screen goes on forever. If anybody has had this problem or knows how to fix it, I would be extremely grateful for your help with this problem. I have no idea what to do. Thanks.

I have the same problem but mine beeps constantly one after the other about 4 seconds apart. And each i geuss beep "group" beeps 7 times

I finally had to take mine in to see a professional. The motherboard was shot and it wasn't worth the $ to fix it....sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

evrytime i open my laptop frm yesterday it gives a beeping sound and shows d black screen

My laptop (hp windows 10) has been beeping all along about 75 times now and I tried everything now and I really do not know what to do

Hi @loveu

Is there a pattern to the beeps e.g. 4 beeps then a pause repeated or 2 beeps pause repeated or 1 long beep pause repeated etc? Also could you provide the model number of your HP laptop? What have you tried to do?

Geo, since I am not sure what BIOS you have, I am going out on a limb here and assuming that you have an AMI BIOS—since all you get are 4 beeps and no other error (Beep) codes. A series of four short beeps indicates memory failure in the first 64 KB of operational memory or that Timer 1 on the motherboard is not functioning. One long beep followed by three short beeps indicates memory problems.

So right now, I would start there. Take out the RAM , then insert it again. If still has the beep error, change the RAM or pull one memory stick and then start up. Then install the memory stick and pull the other one. This should reset your memory and it should (could) work. Also remember that the DV series has some serious overheating issues. I am not sure if this is part of what is going on with yours. Just keep it in mind. This link explains it a bit and can help you out if it is an overheating issue. Let us know what works so we can continue to help you out. Good Luck.

My dell vostro is beeping 3times and then again...and showing black screen ...what the !&&* I do ...please solve my problem...

Most Helpful Answer

The "black screen of death" is usually very easy to repair on a laptop. First turn your computer off by pressing and holding down the start button. Next unplug the computer and then remove the battery. Press and hold down the start button for about 60 seconds. Release the button and plug in the computer. Press the start button and the display should return. If this does not work, try it again up to four times. No results usually indicates a bad mother board. Hope this helps.

Thank you so very much! This fixed it! Every time I turned it on, I got the black screen and a lot of beeping that wouldn't stop unless I held down the power button to shut it down. I thought my computer was dead! You brought it back to life. Thank you!

OMG, also works for me without having to remove my RAM sticks. What does pressing start button do?

This happened to me a few days after I installed Windows 10. This fixed it, but it returned it to the old version Windows 7 I had. Now I don't think I want to install Windows 10 again. Thank you I thought my laptop was fried.

You saved me, thank you so much!

I don't have a start button ! Are u meaning "power button " ???? My Caps Lock is flashing also & the beeps go away but the screen is still black & unresponsive . I am desperate for help please .

Turn over your laptop and loose the screws where it shows RAM sign open the lid deattach the RAM and switch the laptop on shut it down and attach the RAM into the holder close the lid and lock the screws. Turn it on if it does not then take it to a local repair shop for actual issue identification.

Good Luck.

Did exactly as you said and computer is working fine now. Thank you (computer is Dell inspiron M5010)

THANK YOU SO MUCH!! I had done the turn off let battery out restart push 60 seconds more than 4 times.it didnt work.i saw another dude's comment to take out the battery n power out a remove RAM n re-attach it,then put only power in without battery,then push the start button,but then it still wont open! AND THEN i saw your comment,i did it again,this time,to turn on laptop by pushing the start button,remove the RAM,while still leaving the RAM removed n cover still not closed,i quickly turn the laptop on after 3 4 seconds n quickly turn it off,then i re-attach the RAM again.n then i close the cover n screw it all.n then turn on the laptop n it turned on!! I sign up for this forum just because i want to reply your comment n say thank you n it worked!! im so happy because my deadline for my work ends today :( n all the files are in this laptop...thank you again.i hope others that see this comment will have it a try after several failures with other ways just like i did.goodluck!

I removed the RAM and put it back in. Laptop worked just fine after that. Dell Inspiron 1545

I got my black screen with 4 beeps when turned on my lenovo, so just pulled both rams out & tried one by one in both slots, in this diagnostic i found my 1 ram faulty, so turned my system on single slot, its working perfect.

This is usual problem in Hps machines when they start gettin old. Four beeps thats the motherboard problem, to narrow it down its the vga or rather graphic card. If you have proper tools you can do this on your own . otherwise take it to a good IT tech they will open the laptop resolder it properly and it will be fixed. I had similar problem and i fixed it with my friend in same way.its working fine.

Bonfantry M

Geo will be eternally grateful.