Repair information for printers made by Canon.

How do I clean the ink absorber Canon Pixma IP2600

Canon Pixma IP2600 Recently, whenever I tried to print anything, the computer showed a message that the ink absorber was almost full, and to continue I had to press the printer's orange flashing 'resume' button.

Presumably the ink absorber is now so full that it won't print anything.

Does anyone know how to clean the ink absorber?

Most Helpful Answer

@diyman check on here for more information about the pads. Essentially they are just sponges that absorb the ink. You can try a clean those

1. Use a small bowl with warm soapy (dish soap works well) water.

2. Open the ink cartridge compartment

3. Once the ink cartridges have moved to the resting position, unplug your printer

4. Under the ink cartridges should be a black frame.

5. Remove that frame by pulling it out and remove the ink absorber pads

6. Clean those pads in the warm soapy water. You may have to change the water a couple of times.

Once the pads are clean, pat dry with some towels and let them sit out to completely dry. After that reassemble the printer.

Many thanks oldturkey03 however I think your method may be generic for Canon printers, as on the IP2600, the pads are inaccessible without dismantling the casing. I did manage to pick them out with tweezers and clean them but could by no way fit them back into the small rubber frames. Removing the frames and fitting them outside the case was no help as I then couldn’t then refit the frames. However after around 3 hours of persistence in trying to dismantle the case without breaking it, I finally did it.

My method was as follows:-

1) Switch off the printer at the point where the cartridges are to the left side away from the ink absorber. Unplug it and remove the feed cable.

2) Remove the side panels (which wrap round at the rear) by sliding towards the back. This may take some effort but they will eventually release.

3) With the front flap dropped and the lid raised, unscrew the two small screws at the front on the extreme left and right.

4) Press a flat head screwdriver or similar into each of the three arrowed slots at the rear. Now lift the case off the base.

5) The black and white, and colour ink absorber pads each sit in small rubber frames, which themselves are slotted into a white sliding undercarriage. If you clean the pads regularly, the white undercarriage may not be splattered with ink as mine was. But if it is, it can be removed by releasing the four lugs, two on each side, by a bit of wriggling. Then also release the two rubber hoses from underneath, noting the route they take to reach the undercarriage.

6) Clean the undercarriage, rubber frames and pads in warm soapy water and dry.

7) Replace in reverse order of above.

You can try this after you had cleanup your printer. (googled solution) :D

1. Make sure the printer is turned off.

2. Press and hold the Resume button (triangle inside a circle).

3. Whilst it is held down, hold down the Power button. The green led light should come on.

4.Keep the Power button held down. Release the Resume button and then press it twice. The light should go amber, then green again.

5. Release the Power button.

6. Press the Resume button four times and then press the Power button straight after to confirm the selected action (Reset Counter Absorber).

7.Turn off the printer and then turn it on again

Sorry but this did not work!

Paul Garcia will be eternally grateful.