Model A1502 / 2.6 GHz (Turbo Boost up to 3.1 GHz) or 2.8 GHz (Turbo Boost up to 3.3 GHz) dual-core Intel Core i7 processor with 4MB shared L3 cache.

Trackpad and Keyboard fail randomly, MacBook not usable

The Trackpad and Keyboard of my MacBook Pro 13" Mid 2014 (A1502) just stopped working properly. Everything was fine but when I started it yesterday, the Trackpad would just respond every 20 - 30 seconds or so and then just for a few seconds. The Keyboard responds about 50% of the time but some (random) Keys won't work. Additionally, sometimes the letters appear a little later compared to when I pressed the key.

The mouse pointer works with an external USB connected mouse but this one hangs sometimes as well, but just for half a second every now and then.

I tried resetting NVRAM and PRAM and also erased the hard drive and installed Sierra completely new, but without any success. I can't imagine, it's a faulty Trackpad AND Keyboard.

I didn't spill any water over it and I didn't move it at all before the issue occurred first.

The codes given by Apple Diagnostics are:

• NDK001
  • NDK003
  • NDR001

I'm grateful for any help. Cheers!

Putting it in the fridge for 2 hours didn't help at all :-(

I connected a Magic Trackpad via Bluetooth that worked perfectly a few days ago but now has the same issues like the external mouse and lags every 10s for half a sec.

That's why I think the issue is probably not hardware-related but has something todo with the drivers of the periphery. What do you think?

I already installed the OS completely new without success, is there a more thorough way of putting the macbook back to factory-setup?

Thank you

Here's the Diagnostic codes: Apple Diagnostics: Reference codes

What likely has happened here is the battery has swelled pressing from the bottom onto the Trackpad and the keyboard ribbon cable.

Taking the battery out in this system is a bit tricky! If you've never worked on a MacBook I would let either Apple or an Apple authorized service center repair your system. To give you an idea whats involved review this: MacBook Pro 13" Retina Display Mid 2014 Battery Replacement

@iefes - Yves The diagnostic codes are clear here you have a hardware level issue! Sorry there is no magic software fix here. You can see for your self in the link I provided below. You stated you didn't spill any liquids into your system. Did you spray any kind of cleaner onto the keyboard or trackpad? You could have inadvertently damaged things here.

• NDK001, NDK003 & NDK004 There may be an issue with the keyboard.
  • NDR001, NDR003 & NDR004 There may be an issue with the trackpad.

Contact Apple or take your computer to an Apple Authorized Service Provider or Apple Retail Store to determine which service and support options are available.

I'm pretty sure we'd find liquid in it. Or it needs replacing of the trackpad cable. It goes bad a lot on these models iirc.

I didn't spill any liquid over it and I didn't use liquid cleaner or something similar. I just wiped it with a dry microfibre cloth sometimes. I bought the computer used a few months ago (in Jan), maybe the former owner spilled some fluid over it. But it would have taken a lot of time to cause any harm.

@rany Do you think a bad trackpad would also cause the keyboard to malfunction?

@iefes - Yves I think you'll need to pop the bottom cover off to inspect the logic board as well as check the battery. At this point we're just guessing.

I had a look on the inside of the Macbook but didn't find anything that looked suspicious. Just the magsafe DC-in board had two grey stains that looked as if they aren't supposed to be there. I disconnected and reconnected both the keyboard- and trackpad-connectors. No success so far.

The Keyboard ist working a little better since yesterday (I'm currently writing on it. It's slower, but it works), the Trackpad is still almost never usable. Just every 20 seconds for about 4 seconds (roughly).

How can I check if the battery is swollen? I had it in the fridge for around 2 hours but this didn't help. Just from looking at it I couldn't tell anything suspicious.

Is there a controller where both the keyboard and trackpad connect to before they are connected to the logic board? I'm just still trying to figure out how both parts could fail at the same time.

Thanks a lot for your help.

Apple has danced a bit between the different series. The older 2013 series connected the keyboard via the trackpad so there was only one ribbon cable connection on the logic board. In the 2014 series the keyboard & trackpad connect to the logic board through independent connections. But don't let that distract you!

Both are using USB connections so what can happen here is a noisy keyboard or trackpad due to liquid damage often effect both as they share the logic boards hub connection.

At this point I would carefully disconnect each (one at a time) and use your external device. Does it appear to be better with one or both disconnected?

Trackpad and keyboard problems most common problems in the laptops. To solve these issues users do everything which they can do but their problems stills remain unsolved.

A user facing any problem regarding the trackpad and keyboard of the laptop should click on the Dell Customer Service. By clicking on this they can get their solution and it also has toll free number which provides an instant solution.

Yves will be eternally grateful.