Printer stopped working Error B203

Printer stopped working

Support code B203 says to turn off printer and contact service centre.

An extended period turned off allowed it to print a few pages before error B203 again.

This only worked once.

Is there any at home fix.

I had the same error, and found the solution for my case, so I am posting it on this thread, as it is one of the first to be found when googling this issue.

The code means that a print head is malfunctioning. It can be dead, clogged, or overheating. Overheating can happen when for some reason, the printer does not detect than an ink cartridge is empty and attempts to print anyways.

I thus removed the cartridges to look at them, and bingo! Two were empty (no liquid ink visible in the tank without the sponge), but were shown as half-full in the printer screen. I replaced the cartridges, and everything worked again

Mac RAM Kits
Speed up your Mac. Max out its memory.
Mac RAM Kits
Get more memory out of your Mac.

@riddochplace, Riddoch, Info. from 1st link below, Error B200 means the print head voltage or temperature is not normal. The Printhead could be defective, but first, try these solutions at links below. If still warrantied return for repair/replacement/refund, you can contact Cannon at the last link. Good luck. I hope this helped you out, if so let me know by pressing the helpful button.

http://fix-your-printer.blogspot.ca/2011...

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-1...

http://www.derek-taylor.com/how-to-fix-t...

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/porta...

Hi, I have been getting B200 error reports on a Pixma MG7550 and in my case I believe the error is temperature related. I took my defective printer to my unheated office and let it stand without power whilst I went on holiday. Upon my return, I powered it up and it started working again. The printer used to be housed in a cabinet not far from the fireplace at home, so that would be my guess.

Most Helpful Answer

Hey guys,

So I just want to post my solution finally after a while of trying some of the solutions on the internet and none worked for me. I simply could not throw my MG 7540 Pixma just like that. So to summarize it in short follow these steps and you may be as lucky as I have.

While the printer is off, open the front cover where the ink is. Now turn on the printer wait till the ink head starts moving a bit then just shut the cover back to normal. You should see canon logo now. Wait a minute or two and you should be back to normal menu. Now if you try to print anything the error might come again in which u repeat the steps above. Next go to settings/ maintenance settings / auto head allignment. And start the process let it finish and follow any instructions it may ask. Once done it will print a test page and tadaaaaa! it works. You can do a few more maintenance checks if you want to keep your printer in mint condition. Sounds simple yes but I just followed my gut feeling. And it worked. Hope it helps someone .

Cheers

you're a &&^&^$^ legend thank you. I followed your instructions, the first auto head alignment failed and the second one worked wow thank you so much :)

Awesome! so glad it worked for you :D

Thanks so Much! It took a couple of tries aligning before the B203 message went away. Every sheet printed has nothing on it, the pages are completely blank -but the error is finally gone. As soon as some ink appears on the page, it's fixed.

Nice! Try to perform other maintenance tests available to you. maybe a cleaning test might help get the ink going. Best of luck!

Thank you so much I cannot believe I found your post! Every other place I looked or asked said my printer was pretty much shot that I needed a new one. You ARE awesome!!! I haven't tried to print yet lol.... I was just so excited that things started to move on my printer and the light went off. I know it's going to work just fine. Thank you again....will keep you posted . Susan

I have exactly the same problem. My printer is approx. 2 years old (a Canon MG6650) and it worked perfectly. Yesterday, it printed two pages and as I wanted to print another one, I received the error code B203 "unspecific problem, please turn off the printer and let it check by the service center". There has never been a problem before, there were no strange sounds or anything extraordinary.

I have a specific doubt: this is caused by a self-destroying programme which was installed by the producer in order to boost the sale because buying a new product is less expansive than repairing it...

I am very upset, I don't want to spend money again, don't want to produce waste, and I really do think that printer isn't broken aktually...

Please share youre experiences and ideas!

I have a MG6650 since 2y and it did exactly the same: was working well and perfectly printed a set of photos for Christmas and now I get a B203 error right after I start the printer. If I try the "trick" given above (start the printer with panel open, close it after a few seconds) I can access the GUI and swiftly move to maintenance menu. But once I start a check print or a head alignment , the process starts but when it is about to load paper the printer turns off (black screen, no led) and I cannot turn it on again. I have to unplug it >10min to start it again but same issue after that.

I had several HP and Canon in the past but they all lasted between 4 and 10 years. But now every generation is just worse than the previous one. Moreover the firmware is so bad that it does not even remotely report the possible cause of error and what hint to what should be fixed... this is most obviously PROGRAMMED OBSOLESCENCE!! I wil never buy Canon again, this is what they will get with their strategy.

I have an MG6650, which has worked perfectly for 2 1/2 years. Same issue as reported above halfway through printing a page. I tried the various tricks in the blogs above, but after trying the 'printer door open, then switch on' procedure, the screen went black and power off. Left it unplugged overnight, tried again this morning, no power at switch on, black screen, nothing. Looks like 'the end'!! So the trick hasn't worked in my case and in fact finished it off.

Very annoyed. just bought a new cheap printer this morning. Such a waste to throw away, what was, a great piece of kit. Bill

Have tried this solution multiple times. Was able to print once, then back to B203. I did recently install some 3rd-party ink cartridges, which suggests to me there is some correlation.

I have an MG 6821 for about 2 years. Now it shows the same issue.

This B203 error came up directly after I did a firmware update, which I had been ignoring for months. Now I wish I would've kept ignoring it because even after multiple tries of the ideas above, my printer is still not working and is less than 2 years old. I'm highly disappointed since this printer is not used that often so should not be having these kinds of issues after such a short period of time.

I don't tend to be a conspiracy theorist, but I can't help but wonder if that firmware update was the culprit of my printer's failure. I'm disappointed in this Canon product and will probably go back to Epson, even though the cost of ink is pricier, but the machines seem to last a lot longer.

Perfectly agree.

Have similar experience with PIXMA MG 6650. Very ennoying.

yobenet

If you are in the EU, according to EU law you have a two year warrenty on EVERYTHING!

Dig out the reciept and off you go

Having printed two Word documents, my printer gave a B203 error code, which asked me to turn the printer off and contact a service centre. My printer is a white two-year-old Pixma MG5650, and has printed almost 1,000 pages: I use cheap ink. I turned the printer off and looked on the internet to see if this condition was fixable by me. A number of people had experienced the same problem. In summary, they reported that this was a print-head problem and several gave suggestions to try this and try that, but thought that it would be necessary to buy a new printer, this being cheaper than having it repaired. After a couple of days thinking about what to do, I wanted to print another document. I decided to try it, turned the printer on: no message, so I printed the document. It was obvious that there was a problem with the blue, so I used the printer's menu to carry out a print-head clean, followed by a nozzle test print: the print showed the blue to be a little streaky. I did another head clean and print: the blue was much more streaky. I then did a deep clean, followed by a test print, and the blue had completely disappeared. After 24 hours, I carried out another deep clean, followed by a test print: the blue was still missing. I removed the cyan cartridge, which still had half the ink present. I touched the ink pad, which was moist and left ink on my finger. I shone a torch into the space vacated by the cartridge and saw that the small ink receptor pad was white. Should it be white? I checked the other colours and saw that their receptor pads were their respective colours. I put in a new cyan cartridge and did a nozzle test print, and - serendipity! - the blue was back! I reprinted the document which had showed the blue to be wrong - and it was correct this time. For each of the next seven days I printed documents and photographs. The printer is now working correctly. This solution beats sending the printer to a service centre - and beats buying another printer!

Thank you very much! It works perfect.

I have a fairly new Pixma 5722 and had the same error come up - b203 . I had printed many invitations that used a lot of ink, strange thing is, it didn't come up during or just after printing them, it was when I went to use it again much later. I read all the suggestions above but couldn't do some as the error wouldn't let me access the menu. A 2nd error showed up a few times, can't remember the #, 405 maybe - said I had the wrong print head and to change it! I did try to access the menu thru the computer to realign the head, but you can't. I then looked on Youtube and found a few videos that suggested a hard reset - that did the trick! I did an auto alignment after it came on just in case and is now working fine. Hope this helps others.

By the way, folks, there's an easy (and cheap) solution if you just can't get your Canon Pixma to work:

Walmart.com sells Canon Pixma printers really cheap. I just got a Canon Pixma MX490, printer/scanner/copier/fax, with automatic document feeder, for $35 at Walmart.com!

The price on that one has gone up a little bit; but there are other Canon Pixma models, some as low as $30.

An added benefit to buying a new printer: if you refill your ink cartridges, you will get a new set of cartridges with your new printer. You can refill them only so many times, so it's good to get a new set every now and then.

In fact, if you buy the super cheap printer, and you somehow mess things up by refilling the cartridges, you haven't lost much, because you didn't pay much for the printer.

Riddoch Place will be eternally grateful.