Model A1311 / Mid 2010 / 3.06 & 3.2 GHz Core i3 or 3.6 GHz Core i5 Processor

Will a 2011 logic board fit in a 2010 shell?

Recently, I was given a 2010 iMac from a friend, as it is broken. I was curious before I go out and buy a new logic board for it (as I have confirmed that it is a dead logic board) whether or not I would be able to put a 2011 logic board into it instead of a 2010?

I had the same question, but the other way around. Just bought an iMac A1311 (2011) and wanted to check compatibility between the year 201 and 2011. Obrigada! Thank you!

Most Helpful Answer

Typically it is not possible. There are too many varying parts between the years to allow it to fully work.

The 2009 and 2010 models have more similarities than the 2011 model.

Ultimately, i've not tried it between the 2010 and 2011 models, but with the difference in so many of the parts (the only real similarity in major components is the PSU).

SO you will only know for sure if you had them sitting side by side for comparison, then took the risk by fitting it to the machine. Sometimes there are minor component differences that handle voltage differently to other boards, so its definitely a risk, so i'd not suggest it unless there are many similarities between the ranges in question.

I hope this helps.

Scott Currier will be eternally grateful.