Repair guides and disassembly information for laptops manufactured by Asus.

screen light flickers; when unplugged

My ASUS X555Y series laptop, if having a couple issues;

1. After I unplug my laptop; if it goes don 2% (100% down to to 98%) the screen light starts to flicker, constantly untill I plug it back in.

2. My wifi network; will not stay connected, it will remain active for a period of time before kicking me off, having to reboot my computer as i cannot simply reconnect.

My drivers were recently updated, so I know thats not the issue, im leaning towards havig to replace the battery, and possibly either replace the cards or reflow them.

What are your sugestions?

Same problem here with my TP550LAB, screen recently started flickering when on battery power and WiFi is an ongoing nightmare. Kicks me off randomly and cannot even reconnect when restarting. Re flickering - I read enough about people with this issue to know that replacing the battery is not the solution. Have you managed to get anywhere closer?

The impression I get from the comments is that the battery is simply not able to supply sufficient power to run all of the components within the laptop. Other components (e.g. HD, processor, etc) don't seem to be affected by the reduction in power, but the screen controller seems to be much more sensitive.

I think that this is a basic design fault from ASUS, which is why replacing components doesn't fix it, they just do enough to get you past your warranty period after which it's too late to complain. :-( Pity they didn't just own up to what the problem is....

By reducing the overall power used (e.g. reducing screen brightness, or deactivating USB charging ports) it seems to be reducing the overall power requirements enough that the screen controller is able to get enough power so that it can function without flickering. I will try similar changes myself in the power settings and see if I can get my own laptop to work better. Thanks everyone for all the comments!

i have an asus X541U and the screen flicker unless it is plugged to the charger.

this is my second laptop x541u because i asked them to replace the first one which is also flickering, now i had a new one and it is still flickering. is it the display driver or in the hardware? thank you!

I fixed it! I was the drivers. I installed a clean version of windows 10 as it installs Microsoft basic display driver. Problem solved except now I could not change brightness. After I started windows updated it found the correct driver from Intel. Installed and problem solved. Hope this helps. The drivers from manufacturers web site would not work at all.

Good I found this post, I suffer the same problem with F555L and the battery replacement was the logical thing to do... but no luck. I will try to upgrade to windows 10 as suggested.

I have another laptop, a bit older, A55, also based on i7, it is heavier but much better product than this cheaper F555.

Most Helpful Answer

The chosen answer is incorrect. This is an unnecessary expense and bad advice. The problem occurs in a lot of X range ASUS laptops.

I was able to resolve it (so far) by uninstalling the program called Asus USB Charge+ - I noticed that program is set to disable usb charging when the battery reaches 40% by default, and after reading your post I decided to end the process in task manager and uninstall the program.

I also made several changes to the power plan under advanced, but my gut tells me that was the issue.

Choosing Windows 10 balanced power plan under PC Settings.... System.... Power & Sleep.... Click on Additional power settings on the top right under Related settings... Choose Balanced (Recommended) and click on Change plan settings then set the brightness level on battery to 75% or below. Save settings.

This resolved the issue for me. I was even able to move the Balanced screen brightness level back up to 100% on battery after this without the flickering coming back.

I hope this helps. The problem was driving me up the wall.

Some people (like me) are not even running Windows and still see the issue. I am not saying that there aren't different causes for the screen flicker. Many laptops just have faulty hardware and no kind of software teak will ever fix it.

I had the same problem with the flickering screen when on battery. I replaced the battery and still the screen flickered. I followed Dirk's advice above and reduced brightness level to 70% and there is no more flickering. Thanks Dirk!

I also followed your advise. Problem seems to be fixed. Thanks

I fixed it! I was the drivers. I installed a clean version of windows 10 as it installs Microsoft basic display driver. Problem solved except now I could not change brightness. After I started windows updated it found the correct driver from Intel. Installed and problem solved. Hope this helps. The drivers from manufacturers web site would not work at all

Thanks Dirk, this was the solution!

I have an update.

I finally went ahead and replaced the LCD panel as a last resort. To my great joy that fixed the problem. Someone on another forum pointed out that it most likely is caused by a broken DC/AC converter in the screen. If it is not the screen, it could also be the cable connecting mainboard and screen.

If ASUS claimed that they replaced the screen under warranty they might be lying.

Yes. Temporally using a cracked LCD from my ewaste pile solved my flickering problem.

Because what was causing the flickering for me was actually the backlight turning off. While the screen was dark you can still see the graphics on the LCD with a flashlight, it's just that there was no light behind the LCD to illuminate it.

I'd guess all these models used the same crappy LCD (InnoLux N156BGE-E32 rev. C1). I just purchased a Samsung LCD for $44 (the same model as my temp cracked screen) that should fix it right up.

I had mine screen replaced twice within the warranty period. That what they said.

I now having the same problem again.

Hi, I have the same issue on ASUS X556UJ. The thread below also supports the idea of a problem in the LCD

https://www.technibble.com/forums/thread...

I have the same problem with the screen flicker. Changing the battery with a new one changed nothing. Just letting you guys know. My last resort would be changing the whole screen. But not sure becasue everything works fine when plugged into the wall.

Hi Jan, did you ever sort out your problem? My ASUS, an F555LJ, also flickers when on battery power, it's unusable unless it's plugged in. Was thinking of changing the battery but having read your post it sounds like it won't help.

Thanks,

Andy

I am stilI waiting for someone with warranty to report back from the Asus support. Otherwise, no development.

My laptop model ASUS TP550L and same problem above comments. Replaced new battery pack which is cost me 60$ . Same problem, after replaced new battery. I think my laptop was happened after up-great Window 8 to Window 10. Window 10 may use more power consumption than window 8. Thanks to all

I solved this problem by replacing the screen.

My thoughts exactly. I have an F555L, only 2 years old. Starts to flicker when the battery goes to around 93%. I've seen it in the BIOS, I keep pressing arrow-right and saw the screen flicker for a split second about 3 or 4 times. It can flicker right when the Windows 10 circles appear and spin as Windows is loading. So no power settings or drivers affect it at this stage.

I tried to reseat the LCD connector. I don't have any spare similar 30 pin LCDs around to try. I disabled the onboard Intel HD video, it made it less prone to flicker, but still does. I can see the flicker at the early stage when I move the cursor around when it accesses the video. But it eventually gets worse. I can activate the flicker when I run Prime95.

It's definitely a power draw issue, but the battery charges okay and holds a charge even under Prime95 load. Some people said they've replaced the screen and it fixed it, others say ASUS replaced the screen but didn't fix it. Most if not all say they've replaced the battery and it didn't fix it, which is why I'm hesitant to purchase a battery that seems to charge okay and is only 2 years old.

BINGO!! It's the LCD.

I found a broken one I changed out last week that had the 30 pin connection (LTN156AT35-H01) (sticker=LTN156AT37-T01) and it works perfectly fine albeit it has major cracks. And it does not flash when power is plugged or unplugged like the original. Even at 75% battery with Prime95 running.

Original LCD; InnoLux N156BGE-E32 rev. C1

Why don't more people try changing out the LCD instead of the battery?

Would I have to pay for a clean version of windows 10?

You shouldn't need to pay for it, just reinstalling to a reformatted drive should be enough to get a clean Windows installation without the ASUS drivers.

However, don't be surprised if this works for a while and then stops working. In my experience as the battery gets older its capacity to output the required power slowly drops, so at the moment by not having the driver's it might be enough to stop the flicker but it could return a few months down the line.

If you're still under warranty I would get ASUS to replace the screen to hopefully get a screen with lower power requirements which won't fail as time goes one. Good luck!

same here with the flickering, mine is x555L, battery is integrated, nevertheless, i dont think it's a battery issue, do u guys have a dual video card as well ? have you tried formatting your laptop ? has anyone tried contacting asus customer care about this issue ?

please keep us updated if anyone came up with a solution.

thanx

Gents, i have tried changing the battery with no luck. Also, tried sending the laptop to ASUS. They replaced the screen, no luck. I reformatted the machine and it is giving the same issue. i am running out of ideas. Starting to think the motherboard is the main issue. Last resort is just leave it like this and not to bet anymore in ASUS.

Its the drivers. I uninstalled them and it works fine, of course windows reinstalled them and have not found out a solution yet.. def the intel graphics drivers

Drivers don't do jack. Tried that unsuccessfully...

Any idea where to get a replacement screen from?

I have an X553M and my screen started flickering one year after I purchassed the laptop. I updated to windows 10 and still no solution. The flickering only happens when I unplug the laptop...te battery is fine, I even ordered a new motherboard and still no solution. I tried everything this and other groups have recommended and still no solution. I am convinced that it looks like a design issue or some sort of power management conflict. I don't like to hate on anyone but this is the second time I have issues with ASUS and their products...it is frustrating to have such a serious issue not being resolved by the manufacturer...ASUS, please look into this..not right having people that buy your laptops deal with something that makes the product essentially useseless...I could have purchased a desktop if I needed to keep it plugged in forever...just a shame

same problem with my x541u but i havent changed anything yet on my laptop. maybe it is on the manufacturer's problem. sucks to pay on such a tacky device.

Its not the drivers....Won't work

Just to let you know the suggested workaround with the balanced power plan did not work for me.

Interesting find, thank you for your contribution in finding a solution to this problem mate.

I have a X555L - Same problem!

How exactly does your LCD flicker? Get a flashlight and shine it on the screen while the flicker is in the "dark" mode. If you still see a faint graphics image on the LCD when the flicker is dark, then it's an LCD back light problem just like I had with a two year old F555L. I saw the back light flicker even in the BIOS and instantly when Windows started to boot before drivers even think about loading, only while using the battery.

A new LCD fixed my back light flicker problem.

As you describe, the problem seems to be the backlight. In my case it doesn't even flicker any more, as soon as I unplug the power lead the screen goes dark. However, as you describe, if I put a torch to the screen the image is just about visible.

It sounds to me like a backlight which draws less power would be the solution. But I assume that the LCD and the backlight are a single unit which would need to be replaced together.

It does make sense though that replacing the LCD could solve the problem if the replacement has a less hungry backlight, presumably ASUS realised the problem and newer ones are "fixed"? The question is where to get a new LCD and how much would it be? My laptop is out of warranty so I can't see ASUS replacing it free of charge (even though its pretty clear that it's a design fault right from the start).

Andy, I posted something above with a little more description.

I purchased a (LTN156AT35-H01) (sticker=LTN156AT37-T01) and it worked perfectly. It doesn't have to be an exact replacement, but a compatible replacement. You may even purchase one through Amazon like I did and get a different (compatible) model. I just didn't want to get another, IMO cheap InnoLux. I think the power inverter board at the bottom of the screens used are faulty and go bad after a couple years.

I think most of these models would work @ $45;

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_...

This is what I purchased that worked, even though I didn't get a Samsung brand;

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B016CJ...

Lcd replacement fixed the issue for me on this same model.

I have a Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro with the same problem. I had screen flicker when my battery was around 85%. Yesterday I updated my display driver to the one I found on Lenovo website. I have been using my laptop on battery since then and so far there is no flicker problem. I hope the problem is permanently fixed.

I had the same problem and I solved by replacing the LCD screen REPLACE THE LCD SCREEN

Same issue. So frustrating. Computer works amazing, u til I try to unplug it from the charger. Help!

I have an R554L and have the same issue. My battery never charges to 100% only to 98%. If I unplug the comuter I can't use it, because the screen flashes so badly.

It also no longer recognizes my phone when I plug it into the computer. It is as if the USB doesn't register that the phone is plugged in, however, all other USB devices work in that slot.

I have a Asus R554LA-RH51T as well. When I unplugged the AC adapter, my screen would flicker. I was able to fix it myself by replacing the LCD screen.

The product number on my screen was - innolux n156bge-l41 rev c5. I found this one on Amazon for about $60. https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B012...

Since this was a touchscreen, I was worried it would be difficult to separate the digitizer. What was good (or bad) is that I was just able to peel the LCD away from the digitzer with no special tools. No heat gun. It's just held together with some adhesives on the sides. You should should confirm that you have the same LCD model number before ordering and that it uses the 40 pin connection. Took about 10 minutes to swap out.

I think the problem I was experiencing was a bad screen power inverter. Unfortunately, the power inverter is built into this particular LCD screen. So the LCD replacement is the only solution.

Hope this helps

Reinstall doesn’t help. I am actually seeing the flicker during the windows install. Battery doesn’t help either.

Hi guys,

I have an Asus F554L and I am experiencing exactly the same flickering issue.

I am going to try the suggested workaround above with the power plan settings, I hope it will work out because after 1 year of using this laptop having it always plugged in to power is pointless, If i cant move it around without power I'd rather get a desktop.

Definately a bad choice for laptop, specs are fine but quality of manufacturing is below average.

great disccussion, learn much from you

I have read and tested: updating drivers, deleting drivers, tweaking power settings, changing battery and cleaning system. Nothing seem to work permanently - but I think the issue is the screen plug at the motherboard. Did anyone test this???

I've tested that too while diagnosing the first laptop, and it wasn't the problem. Poking at the cable seemed to make some difference in flicker but I believe it was just flexing the bad LCD power board or slightly varying the voltage to the LCD that has the problem.

So far 2 different ASUS 5xx series had faulty InnoLux LCD panels. Fixed both by replacing the LCD panel, $40 to $50 for a fix ain't that bad. Never touched the LCD cable at the motherboard on the 2nd laptop. Open your lid to remove the LCD, I bet you have an InnoLux LCD.

The problem seems to start by flickering only when running on battery, but then can get progressively worse while even flickering while plugged in. Why are people so hesitant to change the LCD, it's a simple fix that will make the problem go away on all these ASUS 5xx laptops. Varying models include F5xx, R5xx and X5xx by reading the previous posts.

I had the same problem and had the LCD screen replaced 2 times within the warranty period.

Now is happening again but is out of warranty.

It is not the battery issue.

I would highly doubt it's a battery issue. People who replace their battery, since it's so easy, find out it didn't make any difference.

If I were to guess I'd say you got the same bad LCD model replaced both times. If you're brave enough to pop off the front panel on the top lid and remove the LCD screen, I bet you have the same InnoLux brand that I've seen to be the bad one. I'd say replace it with a compatible model, but not INNOLUX again.

This issue almost drove me mad at a point, but i got the solution finally. This is not a battery or BIOS problem, it is simply a screen problem. Just replace the screen and you are good to go. I changed the battery and the problem persisted, i also uninstalled the USB fast charge app and nothing happened. But when i replaced the screen, all my problems were solved.

How to know it’s a screen problem? when the battery starts getting too low and the screen seems to be dark, get a flashlight and point it at the screen, if you see graphics then you know it’s a screen problem. This is not a software or driver problem, now how do i know this? Simple, just restart the system in BIOS mode and see if the issue persists and also do the test with a flash light.

Don’t go spending money the way i did, just get yourself a good paper screen. The laptop can be selective of screens, so better give it to a good computer technician to get and replace the screen for you.

Enjoy your PC. Cheers

Finally found a solution that worked for me, it’s in the Power Options: Control Panel > Power Options > Change plan settings > Change advanced power settings > scroll down to ATI Graphics Power Settings > ATI Powerplay settings. Here, under On Battery, mine was set to Maximise Performance. Change this to Maximise Battery Life > Apply. Flickering stopped and I can adjust brightness no problems.

You can check Lcd with VGA port and when i check i understand that battery is good .

I solved this problem by replacing the screen

This solved my flickering problem of my asus X556UB when unplugged. INTEL GRAPHICS set on MAXIMUM BATTERY LIFE

Aaron Bouchard will be eternally grateful.