screen light flickers; when unplugged

My ASUS X555Y series laptop, if having a couple issues;

1. After I unplug my laptop; if it goes don 2% (100% down to to 98%) the screen light starts to flicker, constantly untill I plug it back in.

2. My wifi network; will not stay connected, it will remain active for a period of time before kicking me off, having to reboot my computer as i cannot simply reconnect.

My drivers were recently updated, so I know thats not the issue, im leaning towards havig to replace the battery, and possibly either replace the cards or reflow them.

What are your sugestions?

Same problem here with my TP550LAB, screen recently started flickering when on battery power and WiFi is an ongoing nightmare. Kicks me off randomly and cannot even reconnect when restarting. Re flickering - I read enough about people with this issue to know that replacing the battery is not the solution. Have you managed to get anywhere closer?

The impression I get from the comments is that the battery is simply not able to supply sufficient power to run all of the components within the laptop. Other components (e.g. HD, processor, etc) don't seem to be affected by the reduction in power, but the screen controller seems to be much more sensitive.

I think that this is a basic design fault from ASUS, which is why replacing components doesn't fix it, they just do enough to get you past your warranty period after which it's too late to complain. :-( Pity they didn't just own up to what the problem is....

By reducing the overall power used (e.g. reducing screen brightness, or deactivating USB charging ports) it seems to be reducing the overall power requirements enough that the screen controller is able to get enough power so that it can function without flickering. I will try similar changes myself in the power settings and see if I can get my own laptop to work better. Thanks everyone for all the comments!

i have an asus X541U and the screen flicker unless it is plugged to the charger.

this is my second laptop x541u because i asked them to replace the first one which is also flickering, now i had a new one and it is still flickering. is it the display driver or in the hardware? thank you!

I fixed it! I was the drivers. I installed a clean version of windows 10 as it installs Microsoft basic display driver. Problem solved except now I could not change brightness. After I started windows updated it found the correct driver from Intel. Installed and problem solved. Hope this helps. The drivers from manufacturers web site would not work at all.

Replacing the battery would appear to be the correct decision since the screen problem doesn't happen with the charger connected.

You say the WiFi drivers (I assume) were recently updated, were the updated drivers Asus Wifi drivers, Windows generic WiFi drivers or the WiFi card manufacturer's drivers?

It is always advisable to have the Asus drivers installed on Asus equipment as they know their equipment best and may have adapted the drivers to suit their particular requirements.

If Win 10 is the installed OS here is a link to the latest Asus WLAN drivers. Select the drivers appropriate to the make of card that is installed, see Notes near the top of the webpage in the link regarding installing the drivers.

Try installing a free WiFi scanner program (there are others online if this doesn't suit you) just to see what is going on with your WiFi connection regarding signal strength, number of networks using the same channel which may be causing interference etc.

Don't know about reflowing the cards, seems a bit extreme considering that you haven't proved where the problem is yet. It may be unrelated to the actual WiFi card. Initially it may be more prudent to invest (or even better if you can 'borrow' one from a friend) in a cheap USB WiFi adapter and see if the connection suffers from the same problem or not to give you an idea of where to go on from.

Just some thoughts.

I am fully aware a reflow was a drastic step, which would have been a last resort. I did just recently, update the drivers; but for some odd reason I ommitted Windows 10, could be the issues as i've had it for about a year without issues I, will look into it further

I fixed it! I was the drivers. I installed a clean version of windows 10 as it installs Microsoft basic display driver. Problem solved except now I could not change brightness. After I started windows updated it found the correct driver from Intel. Installed and problem solved. Hope this helps. The drivers from manufacturers web site would not work at all

My fix was replacing the LCD.

If you have this problem you need to look more closely at HOW it's flickering. My problem was just like the original poster described, "the screen light starts to flicker". My LCD backlight was turning off. You can still see the graphics when you shine a flashlight on the screen, which means there's no light behind the screen.

The chosen answer is incorrect. This is an unnecessary expense and bad advice. The problem occurs in a lot of X range ASUS laptops.

I was able to resolve it (so far) by uninstalling the program called Asus USB Charge+ - I noticed that program is set to disable usb charging when the battery reaches 40% by default, and after reading your post I decided to end the process in task manager and uninstall the program.

I also made several changes to the power plan under advanced, but my gut tells me that was the issue.

Choosing Windows 10 balanced power plan under PC Settings.... System.... Power & Sleep.... Click on Additional power settings on the top right under Related settings... Choose Balanced (Recommended) and click on Change plan settings then set the brightness level on battery to 75% or below. Save settings.

This resolved the issue for me. I was even able to move the Balanced screen brightness level back up to 100% on battery after this without the flickering coming back.

I hope this helps. The problem was driving me up the wall.

Some people (like me) are not even running Windows and still see the issue. I am not saying that there aren't different causes for the screen flicker. Many laptops just have faulty hardware and no kind of software teak will ever fix it.

I had the same problem with the flickering screen when on battery. I replaced the battery and still the screen flickered. I followed Dirk's advice above and reduced brightness level to 70% and there is no more flickering. Thanks Dirk!

I also followed your advise. Problem seems to be fixed. Thanks

I have the same problem with the screen flicker. Changing the battery with a new one changed nothing. Just letting you guys know. My last resort would be changing the whole screen. But not sure becasue everything works fine when plugged into the wall.

Hi Jan, did you ever sort out your problem? My ASUS, an F555LJ, also flickers when on battery power, it's unusable unless it's plugged in. Was thinking of changing the battery but having read your post it sounds like it won't help.

Thanks,

Andy

I am stilI waiting for someone with warranty to report back from the Asus support. Otherwise, no development.

I have an update.

I finally went ahead and replaced the LCD panel as a last resort. To my great joy that fixed the problem. Someone on another forum pointed out that it most likely is caused by a broken DC/AC converter in the screen. If it is not the screen, it could also be the cable connecting mainboard and screen.

If ASUS claimed that they replaced the screen under warranty they might be lying.

Yes. Temporally using a cracked LCD from my ewaste pile solved my flickering problem.

Because what was causing the flickering for me was actually the backlight turning off. While the screen was dark you can still see the graphics on the LCD with a flashlight, it's just that there was no light behind the LCD to illuminate it.

I'd guess all these models used the same crappy LCD (InnoLux N156BGE-E32 rev. C1). I just purchased a Samsung LCD for $44 (the same model as my temp cracked screen) that should fix it right up.

same here with the flickering, mine is x555L, battery is integrated, nevertheless, i dont think it's a battery issue, do u guys have a dual video card as well ? have you tried formatting your laptop ? has anyone tried contacting asus customer care about this issue ?

please keep us updated if anyone came up with a solution.

thanx

Gents, i have tried changing the battery with no luck. Also, tried sending the laptop to ASUS. They replaced the screen, no luck. I reformatted the machine and it is giving the same issue. i am running out of ideas. Starting to think the motherboard is the main issue. Last resort is just leave it like this and not to bet anymore in ASUS.

Its the drivers. I uninstalled them and it works fine, of course windows reinstalled them and have not found out a solution yet.. def the intel graphics drivers

I have an X553M and my screen started flickering one year after I purchassed the laptop. I updated to windows 10 and still no solution. The flickering only happens when I unplug the laptop...te battery is fine, I even ordered a new motherboard and still no solution. I tried everything this and other groups have recommended and still no solution. I am convinced that it looks like a design issue or some sort of power management conflict. I don't like to hate on anyone but this is the second time I have issues with ASUS and their products...it is frustrating to have such a serious issue not being resolved by the manufacturer...ASUS, please look into this..not right having people that buy your laptops deal with something that makes the product essentially useseless...I could have purchased a desktop if I needed to keep it plugged in forever...just a shame

same problem with my x541u but i havent changed anything yet on my laptop. maybe it is on the manufacturer's problem. sucks to pay on such a tacky device.

I solved this problem by replacing the screen.

My thoughts exactly. I have an F555L, only 2 years old. Starts to flicker when the battery goes to around 93%. I've seen it in the BIOS, I keep pressing arrow-right and saw the screen flicker for a split second about 3 or 4 times. It can flicker right when the Windows 10 circles appear and spin as Windows is loading. So no power settings or drivers affect it at this stage.

I tried to reseat the LCD connector. I don't have any spare similar 30 pin LCDs around to try. I disabled the onboard Intel HD video, it made it less prone to flicker, but still does. I can see the flicker at the early stage when I move the cursor around when it accesses the video. But it eventually gets worse. I can activate the flicker when I run Prime95.

It's definitely a power draw issue, but the battery charges okay and holds a charge even under Prime95 load. Some people said they've replaced the screen and it fixed it, others say ASUS replaced the screen but didn't fix it. Most if not all say they've replaced the battery and it didn't fix it, which is why I'm hesitant to purchase a battery that seems to charge okay and is only 2 years old.

BINGO!! It's the LCD.

I found a broken one I changed out last week that had the 30 pin connection (LTN156AT35-H01) (sticker=LTN156AT37-T01) and it works perfectly fine albeit it has major cracks. And it does not flash when power is plugged or unplugged like the original. Even at 75% battery with Prime95 running.

Original LCD; InnoLux N156BGE-E32 rev. C1

Why don't more people try changing out the LCD instead of the battery?

Same issue. So frustrating. Computer works amazing, u til I try to unplug it from the charger. Help!

I have an R554L and have the same issue. My battery never charges to 100% only to 98%. If I unplug the comuter I can't use it, because the screen flashes so badly.

It also no longer recognizes my phone when I plug it into the computer. It is as if the USB doesn't register that the phone is plugged in, however, all other USB devices work in that slot.

Reinstall doesn’t help. I am actually seeing the flicker during the windows install. Battery doesn’t help either.

Hi guys,

I have an Asus F554L and I am experiencing exactly the same flickering issue.

I am going to try the suggested workaround above with the power plan settings, I hope it will work out because after 1 year of using this laptop having it always plugged in to power is pointless, If i cant move it around without power I'd rather get a desktop.

Definately a bad choice for laptop, specs are fine but quality of manufacturing is below average.

Just to let you know the suggested workaround with the balanced power plan did not work for me.

Interesting find, thank you for your contribution in finding a solution to this problem mate.

I have a X555L - Same problem!

How exactly does your LCD flicker? Get a flashlight and shine it on the screen while the flicker is in the "dark" mode. If you still see a faint graphics image on the LCD when the flicker is dark, then it's an LCD back light problem just like I had with a two year old F555L. I saw the back light flicker even in the BIOS and instantly when Windows started to boot before drivers even think about loading, only while using the battery.

A new LCD fixed my back light flicker problem.

great disccussion, learn much from you

Aaron Bouchard will be eternally grateful.